Options

Which one to offer as a gift?

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited December 18, 2014 in People
Hi all,
these are some shots for a friends couple of their little son. I want to offer them one as a gift (a good print actually).

I liked the results, since I did not ask from anyone to pose or stop what they were doing. I have picked few that I like the most and I applied a first round pp. Could you please help me some candidates for the second round of pp?

I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Regards
Alex

i-QSfCBfC-M.jpg

i-bsgWfPS-M.jpg

i-jQThTgs-M.jpg

i-4KQC97n-M.jpg

i-dgNMZXs-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2014
    I really like 1-2 & 5. I like shots of my children laughing and having fun so #2 &5 especially. Love the colors.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2014

That non-posed look is very very nice. Or you can make a montage/collage.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2014
    #1 and 4
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    1 and/or 4, but cropped tighter.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    Hi,
    I picked the #2.. (As always the more I look the more I change my mind...)
    and I tried to do a bit of pp.. actually I opened the crop a bit but I am not sure if this make the shot more "imbalanced"

Before
    i-bsgWfPS-L.jpg

After
    i-6vNqbFh-L.jpg
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    Cropping below the elbow helps a bit with the balance ... but, at the end on the day, this is a wonderful and expressive shot of your friend's son. That is the most important thing (screw the balance).
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2014
    Thanks, we agree on that.
    Thanks for putting me on right track
    Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2014
    I guess I would go with 4 but none of them are "print worthy" to me. To me print worthy mean you GOT the shot! All of these are not wide enough for me (something is clipped..arm, leg, foot, etc) I love the colors and expressions though. Do you have the ability to control your aperture? The other thing is the backgrounds are too "in focus" as well for me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    I guess I would go with 4 but none of them are "print worthy" to me. To me print worthy mean you GOT the shot! All of these are not wide enough for me (something is clipped..arm, leg, foot, etc) I love the colors and expressions though. Do you have the ability to control your aperture? The other thing is the backgrounds are too "in focus" as well for me.

Hi,
    thanks for your comments... I see your comment but for me is always puzzling when cropping is allowed and when is not.
    If I understand it right some photographers claim that you can crop if something is implied and at the same time does not look amputated.

I was looking the other time on this video (well known photographer and perhaps one of the most expensive for headshots)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIMCFVlbEz8

that he was cropping the upper part of the head by saying that everyone knows that the missing part is there.

Since I will be keep posting to this forum since is one of the few places I can have feedback this discussion would come back again over and over.

For the aperture question yes I can control it.. and this was the more open I could do... These where shots from my small jacket pocket camera that I always have with me (but then this is a cropped sensor with not very shallow depth of field).

Thanks for the feedback everyone
    Alex