Options

Yellow Cactus Flower Weingartia pulquinensis

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 29, 2015 in Holy Macro
This is one of the forms of a variable species. It has become columnar since I last photographed it. Names include: Weingartia platygona syn Rebutia neocummigii

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Family/Cactaceae/15292/Weingartia_pulquinensis

I include some cross-eye stereos.

The last image is a digitised version (copied onto digital camera) of a transparency shot many years ago, when the plant was closer to hemispherical than to columnar.

The petal shape is different. Whether this is part of the variability, or there are two plants involved (labels lost) remains a question. Anyway, these are yellow cactus flowers to be enjoyed.

Harold

1153963.jpg

1153964.jpg

1153965.jpg

1153966.jpg

1153967.jpg

1153968.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2015
    Like first two!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Like first two!

Thanks.

I thought you might not like the third one.

I like the low angle sun effect and saturated colour, although a bit more fill flash would have been good.

Harold
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2015
    Harold, these are really nice. I agree that #3 appears a little dark but it sounds as if that is what you were aiming for. If a little of the light from the last one was in #3...???
    Nice set as usual. I enjoy your work. bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited June 29, 2015
    Harold, these are really nice. I agree that #3 appears a little dark but it sounds as if that is what you were aiming for. If a little of the light from the last one was in #3...???
    Nice set as usual. I enjoy your work. bowdown.gif

Thanks,

The first one is OK, the second a little bright, for my personal preference, but I do like to see the gradation of colour, which tends to be lost (to my perception) well short of over-exposure. I would probably always slightly darken white flowers.

With film, it is a matter of under-exposing by 1/3 to 1/2 a stop. Here, it is a slider matter.

Harold
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2015
    For those who like a sunnier look, here is the third image in a partly-reworkrd version.

Harold

1154031.jpg
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2015
    I especially like the first one.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2015
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I especially like the first one.

Thanks. I made a point of getting just the one flower open, with the other buds coloured up. That combination does not offer itself very often. It is my favourite.

Harold