Options

Large Snipe Fly With Stereo

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 29, 2015 in Holy Macro
Only days after photographing my first Snipe Fly, I found another on almost the same leaf. I had seen something (a wasp or fly) black and white flying around the Lemon Balm plants and went indoors to collect my camera.

I considered using my Printing Nikkor 105mm but my estimate was that the insect I had seen was too large for the 17mm field of view of that fixed-focus lens. So I used the Kiron 105mm. This was a good decision as, although the intended subject was not to be seen, the fly which was sitting on a leaf was a bit larger still.

With my first Snipe Fly the issue with surrounding leaves was that the flash light was blocked although framing was easy. This time, lighting was not a problem but an adjacent leaf blocked views from the level of the fly.

After taking some shots angled downwards, I decided to risk removing the obstruction. I carefully reached into the foliage and tried to pinch out the stem. The leaf moved aside but not by enough. I decided to risk everything by reaching down, only inches from the fly, to pinch out the top of the shoot. Unbelievably, the fly stayed where it was and I got the shots I wanted. It only flew off when I stood up a bit too quickly.

The EM-1 was in manual mode. The lens was set at f16 and I used twin TTL RC , diffused flash on brackets attached to the setup. Shots were hand-held.

The cross-eye stereo effect is not quite as natural as I would like.

Harold

1153513.jpg

1153514.jpg

1153515.jpg

1153516.jpg

1153517.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2015
    Wow, #'s 1 and 4! clap.gif Your efforts certainly paid off with #4! Can't believe the fly didn't leave with disturbing the limb. You just never know!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2015
    Very nice indeed!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2015
    Wow, #'s 1 and 4! clap.gif Your efforts certainly paid off with #4! Can't believe the fly didn't leave with disturbing the limb. You just never know!

Thanks.

The head-on shots are at f16, so some definition will have been lost, but I accept that to get the DOF.

Harold
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Very nice indeed!

Thanks.

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2015
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2015
    Good captures Harold :)

Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

The auto alignments for the stereo would have cropped off a wing tip so I omitted that stage.

Harold