5000 photo limit per gallery?

Ken112Ken112 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 21, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Just logged into my account and found one of my old galleries split into two galleries.
The original gallery still exists but a new gallery with the same name plus "-1" added to the end of the name has appeared. the original gallery has 5000 photos the new gallery has 3000.
Is this a new "feature"?

Comments

• LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    This wouldn't be good.
  • codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    It's true that there is a 5000 photo limit, per gallery. I had run into the same thing a few weeks back while uploading and I had just tried repeatedly to get them slammed in the first gallery. No such luck.

Smugmug tipped me off (which was nice, cause I hadn't contacted them yet) and then sent me this comment:

"Sorry to bother you. We were reviewing the past days uploading failures and see that you had quite a few failures. 4143 to be exact. There were a couple of other error messages. These 4143 failures were all for "Album Full". Which means the album you were uploading to, already had approximately 5000 photos in it. 5000 photos is the limit per gallery. Otherwise, the gallery becomes very unwieldy. And is difficult to view and load pages. Please go ahead and upload these photos to another gallery."

I had sent them a remark of appreciation and surprise, and they followed up with this tip:

"Sorry we don't publicize this fact more. In the future, you can always check your upload log. This will let you know if there are/were any issues." (The upload log can be found in your Control Panel > Stats > Upload > Upload log.)

Kind of a bummer, but navigating 5000 photos in a gallery would certainly be evil for any client of mine; it's only a minor inconvenience to know I have to create another gallery. Really the only reason I'd even hope to use 5000+ images in one gallery is for a backup of some type...

Good luck!
  • Ken112Ken112 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    It's true that there is a 5000 photo limit, per gallery. I had run into the same thing a few weeks back while uploading and I had just tried repeatedly to get them slammed in the first gallery. No such luck.

Smugmug tipped me off (which was nice, cause I hadn't contacted them yet) and then sent me this comment:

"Sorry to bother you. We were reviewing the past days uploading failures and see that you had quite a few failures. 4143 to be exact. There were a couple of other error messages. These 4143 failures were all for "Album Full". Which means the album you were uploading to, already had approximately 5000 photos in it. 5000 photos is the limit per gallery. Otherwise, the gallery becomes very unwieldy. And is difficult to view and load pages. Please go ahead and upload these photos to another gallery."

I had sent them a remark of appreciation and surprise, and they followed up with this tip:

"Sorry we don't publicize this fact more. In the future, you can always check your upload log. This will let you know if there are/were any issues." (The upload log can be found in your Control Panel > Stats > Upload > Upload log.)

Kind of a bummer, but navigating 5000 photos in a gallery would certainly be evil for any client of mine; it's only a minor inconvenience to know I have to create another gallery. Really the only reason I'd even hope to use 5000+ images in one gallery is for a backup of some type...

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, It was a private backup gallery that was created in 2008. Funny that they decided to split it on me after 3 years.

Ken
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    Ken112 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, It was a private backup gallery that was created in 2008. Funny that they decided to split it on me after 3 years.

Ken
    Interesting. I don't think I've come close to this limit as I keep a gallery for each day in my backups, but they should've definitely said something.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!