Options

ZEISS Milvus – Manual Focus SLR Lenses for Canon EF and Nikon F-Mounts

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,791 moderator
edited September 13, 2015 in Cameras
ZEISS Milvus – Manual Focus SLR Lenses for ZE (Canon EF) and ZF.2 (Nikon F) Lens Mounts
(From: http://lenspire.zeiss.com/en/zeiss-milvus-manual-focus-slr-lenses-for-ze-and-zf-2-mounts/)

Prime Lenses:
ZEISS Milvus 2.8/21 (f2.8, 21mm)
ZEISS Milvus 2/35 (F2, 35mm)
ZEISS Milvus 1.4/50 (f1.4, 50mm)
ZEISS Milvus 1.4/85 (f1.4, 85mm)

Macro Lenses:
ZEISS Milvus 2/50M (f2, 50mm)
ZEISS Milvus 2/100M (f2, 100mm)

"Further focal lengths will be added to the ZEISS Milvus lens family over the next few years.

The ZEISS Milvus lens family with precise manual focus offers high and consistent image performance across all focal lengths. They are ideal for current DSLR cameras and also for mirrorless system cameras of the Sony α7 series via an adapter solution."

“With this diversity of extremely high-quality SLR lenses, we are underscoring that, with our Milvus lenses, we can supply the right focal length for almost any application or personal preference,”
Christophe Casenave, Product Manager for ZEISS Camera Lenses

Using ZEISS Milvus lenses for video

The new ZEISS Milvus lenses enable high-quality film recordings with soft and cinematic bokeh. “With their extremely high contrast rendition, the lenses meet the latest 6K video standards and display uniform color characteristics,” Casenave continues.

All ZEISS Milvus lenses have an exceptionally long rotation angles of the focus ring for precise focusing. The practical, rubber-covered focus ring features outstanding grip properties for optimal focusing. The ‘de-click’ function in the ZF.2 mount lenses allows filmmakers to adjust the aperture freely and smoothly, enabling professional results even in changing light conditions.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,177 moderator
    edited September 12, 2015
    Keith Cooper's blog's storey on these lenses began with "New Zeiss lenses announced for those fed up with autofocus…" :D

<opinion>
    Seriously, Zeiss is always good quality and their purpose is just and noble, but why do they need to reinvent their (manual) lenses every couple of years with names that better belong as comic book heros? Is there really enough of a market on these that Canonites and Nikonians are adding these in addition to their collections of perfectly working autofocus and branded elite L and VR lenses they've already bought at lesser prices? I just can't think the market is large enough.
    </opinion>
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    Presumably the 'non' of nonagon refers to the non equal length sides of the aperture as shown in the pic of the 50 / 1.4?

Is this for extra creative purposes?

pp
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Mulva?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Presumably the 'non' of nonagon refers to the non equal length sides of the aperture as shown in the pic of the 50 / 1.4?

A nonagon is a polygon with 9 sides. Like how an octagon is a polygon with 8 sides.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,177 moderator
    edited September 13, 2015
    See, I learned something today. I thought a nonagon was a polygon with no sides. eek7.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2015
    A nonagon is a polygon with 9 sides. Like how an octagon is a polygon with 8 sides.

Errr, yes ... I was aware of this, which is why I used the term in the first place :)

However, I'd have thought that the shape required for this purpose would have been a regular nonagon ,,, ie one with 9 equal sides ... rather than the one shown in the linked site.

Considering what the name 'Zeiss' stands for in the world of optics etc, isn't having a photo in some publicity bs, displaying a technical anomaly a bit of a no no ?

pp

Third pic ... this'un

'The blades of the aperture (ZEISS Milvus 1.4/50) '