Canon efs 18-200mm problems

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited September 8, 2015 in Cameras
hello:i have loose dust inside my lens and I want to sell it.how would I remove the dust/ thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 6, 2015
    hello:i have loose dust inside my lens and I want to sell it.how would I remove the dust/ thanks

There are no user servicable parts in a complicated lens like the Canon EF-S 18-200mm, f3.5-f5.6 IS. It has 16 elements of glass in 12 groups, and if not properly disassembled and/or properly reassembled it can be easily damaged.

What I strongly suggest is either selling the lens as-is, with images showing the extent of the dust inside, or send the lens to a Canon Factory Service Center and have them do the cleaning job they are trained to do, and they do use specialized tools and diagnostics unavailable to the general public and general service folks. Canon will estimate the service cost before proceeding, if you wish.

The following is a direct link for Canon Factory Service Centers:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-locations
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 7, 2015
    How much dust are you talking about??

Just a few motes are truly insignificant optically, although they MAY make your lens less valuable on the used lens market.

My 17-55 E-FS has several dust spots on its inner elements and it takes stunningly sharp images if do my part properly.

As Ziggy said, Canon Factory Service will give you a quote for repair after they have seen and examined your lens. Then you can decide if it is worth your while to have it professionally cleaned.

It is not something you can do yourself.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 8, 2015
    Moving this thread since it is more Camera/Lens related than what Digital Darkroom is for.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky