Options

Fort Colombia Rust

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
edited July 16, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Door lock seen at Fort Colombia in very south-west Washington state

i-LvWvSBt-X2.jpg

Probably doesn't slide as easily as it once did.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2015
    I like the colours and composition.
    Not that you could have done anything at all about it, I feel it would be nice not to have the strip of background on the left?
    I like the intensity of the rust and how it gets less as you move away from the slider.
    I hope there were some more "rusty" things in the area - looks like a wonderful place to explore.
    Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2015
    David, nice rust shot. I like the subject matter as well. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2015
    This is beautiful David! The band on left is working! Shot is holding my gaze!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited July 10, 2015
    Very nice indeed. I think the band on the left adds to the composition and could even be a bit wider at the expense of some of the right edge.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2015
    Nice rust! I could go either way in regards to the band on the left, the reason it works is because it doesn't contain distracting elements and it is just a fading green band. Good find.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2015
    Thanks!

I shot it a couple times. The second one, the pic above, I dialed the stops wider to effectively kill a distracting background and stepped back and also used a longer focal to help that out. the bolt overlaps the background, so that pretty much had to also be in the comp.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2015
    I'm just loving the colors of the rust: the pale blue, blue-green, set against the darker orange and burnt-orange. The oxidization has a keen sense of aesthetics! Thank you for your good eye to post it and bring it to us. Wonderful!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    I'm just loving the colors of the rust: the pale blue, blue-green, set against the darker orange and burnt-orange. The oxidization has a keen sense of aesthetics! Thank you for your good eye to post it and bring it to us. Wonderful!

Wow, thank you!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2015
    Nice rust treatment, David. I'm happy to see some activity in this genre.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.