Vancouver-Whistler 2010

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited February 20, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Now that the Beijing Olympics are over, the world's attention shifts to the next Olympic city. I'm guessing that at least a few dgrinners will be heading this way and will need some info. As one of dgrin's resident Vancouverites, allow me to introduce to you, the host city of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

360519127_WT5Ai-L-1.jpg

Basic Facts

Founded: 1886
Population: 620,000 (City of Vancouver), 2.5 million (Greater Vancouver)
Land Area: 44.3 sq. mi. (City), 1,111 sq. mi (Greater Vancouver)

Vancouver began in 1886 as an amalgamation of smaller villages. These villages still live on in the names of Vancouver neighborhoods, such as Kitsilano, Kerrisdale, and Gastown. Greater Vancouver consists of the City of Vancouver proper and 20 surrounding municipalities, home to 2.5 million residents and covering an area of 1,100 square miles (about twice the area of Greater London). Vancouver is named after Capt. George Vancouver, Royal Navy, who explored this part of the world in 1792.

Vancouver has apparently been bidding for the winter games since 1968. It finally won the bid in 2001 for the 2010 games. At first I was an Olympic skeptic, not because I thought it would be bad for the city (I think the games will be great for Vancouver) or because I hate the Olympics (I love the Olympics, especially the Winter Games). I thought Vancouver would be a bad choice for the winter games because of the simple fact that Vancouver has no winter. The temperature here rarely dips below freezing and it almost never snows. By Canadian standards Vancouver is the Bahamas. Also, in 2001 British Columbia was experiencing a severe recession. With companies laying-off workers and the government cutting services, the sight of Vancouver throwing itself a huge party at taxpayer expense didn't go over very well in rest of B.C. Now, however, like most everyone else, I've caught the Olympic bug and can't wait for the games.

I'll be posting more info about Vancouver on this thread. I'm not a skier so I don't know too much about Whistler. If you have any questions about Vancouver I'll be more than happy to answer them. Post your questions to this thread as others may have the same questions.
OPENING CEREMONY: February 12, 2010

Comments

• Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Now that the Beijing Olympics are over, the world's attention shifts to the next Olympic city. I'm guessing that at least a few dgrinners will be heading this way and will need some info. As one of dgrin's resident Vancouverites, allow me to introduce to you, the host city of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

360519127_WT5Ai-L-1.jpg

Basic Facts
    Founded: 1886
    Population: 620,000 (City of Vancouver), 2.5 million (Greater Vancouver)
    Land Area: 44.3 sq. mi. (City), 1,111 sq. mi (Greater Vancouver)

Vancouver began in 1886 as an amalgamation of smaller villages. These villages still live on in the names of Vancouver neighborhoods, such as Kitsilano, Kerrisdale, and Gastown. Greater Vancouver consists of the City of Vancouver proper and 20 surrounding municipalities, home to 2.5 million residents and covering an area of 1,100 square miles (about twice the area of Greater London). Vancouver is named after Capt. George Vancouver, Royal Navy, who explored this part of the world in 1792.

Vancouver has apparently been bidding for the winter games since 1968. It finally won the bid in 2001 for the 2010 games. At first I was an Olympic skeptic, not because I thought it would be bad for the city (I think the games will be great for Vancouver) or because I hate the Olympics (I love the Olympics, especially the Winter Games). I thought Vancouver would be a bad choice for the winter games because of the simple fact that Vancouver has no winter. The temperature here rarely dips below freezing and it almost never snows. By Canadian standards Vancouver is the Bahamas. Also, in 2001 British Columbia was experiencing a severe recession. With companies laying-off workers and the government cutting services, the sight of Vancouver throwing itself a huge party at taxpayer expense didn't go over very well in rest of B.C. Now, however, like most everyone else, I've caught the Olympic bug and can't wait for the games.

I'll be posting more info about Vancouver on this thread. I'm not a skier so I don't know too much about Whistler. If you have any questions about Vancouver I'll be more than happy to answer them. Post your questions to this thread as others may have the same questions.

OPENING CEREMONY: February 12, 2010

Any leads on available, inexpensive housing options for Feb 18-20th...
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Anyone going to be in town the 22nd or 23rd?
    I was wondering if any other shooters were going up?
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    For those of you who do come to Vancouver, leave your car at home or at the hotel parking lot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35298692/ns/travel-seasonal/

There is no public parking at any of the venues.

The Sea-to-Sky Highway between Vancouver and Whistler is closed to unauthorized traffic between 6am and 6pm. Ticket holders must use the official Olympic Bus Network coaches ($50 for Vancouver to Whistler round trip)

There are major road closures in the downtown core and forget trying to find parking downtown. I was down there last weekend. I've never seen the downtown so empty of cars.

Visit the msnbc link above for more details.
  • wowhotwowhot Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    what a shame
    we have our press passes but we see the people everyday who seem to have a hard time with this event in there city.. i think there should be more for the people of Canada at this event layed of free for them..
    Architectural and Interior Photography
    http://www.whanphoto.com