Black Rapid strap + Ziekos grip + D300S?

ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited July 14, 2010 in Accessories
Does anyone use this combination? I really like the Black Rapid straps but I am worried about the tripod screw on the Ziekos battery grip breaking. That's A LOT of money to trust hanging on one low quality chinese metal screw. What do ya's think? I would trust the Nikon grip's screw into the camera but I'm not so sure about trusting chinese quality like that.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited May 25, 2010
    The tripod mount on a camera is really not designed for suspension products like the Black Rapid system. I believe you are correct that a battery/vertical grip is probably even less designed for that application.

I see lots of folks using the tripod mount this way so I think it's really your call whether you want to take the risk or not. I suggest that if you do suspend the camera, or grip, by the tripod mount, check it frequently for loosening and/or stress fatigue.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/771373/0/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/897833

http://www.opensourcephoto.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=50145

http://www.flickr.com/groups/atlantaguild/discuss/72157618713970625/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The tripod mount on a camera is really not designed for suspension products like the Black Rapid system. I believe you are correct that a battery/vertical grip is probably even less designed for that application.

I see lots of folks using the tripod mount this way so I think it's really your call whether you want to take the risk or not. I suggest that if you do suspend the camera, or grip, by the tripod mount, check it frequently for loosening and/or stress fatigue.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/771373/0/

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/897833

http://www.opensourcephoto.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=50145

http://www.flickr.com/groups/atlantaguild/discuss/72157618713970625/

Thanks for the reply and links, Ziggy. I am definitely second guessing the Black rapid strap. :(

One of my concerns is the cheap chinese quality screw on the grip breaking or backing out from the D300S. That would be just as bad as a strap failure!

If anyone else has used this combo.... please feel free to share your experience. Thanks.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I don't have your exact combination but I have a 50D with a Canon battery grip on it and I use a BR strap all of the time. No problems, not noticing any fatigue problems either. I've also never heard of anyone having a failure like this either.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    ziggy, it has been proven that the tripod mount is actually more secure than the regular camera strap holders. I use the black rapid system with my gripped D700 and have not had a single issue. The connector that goes on the tripod mount has a rubber seal, which keeps it nice and tight.

Here's a video that explains the strength of the tripod mount with the r-strap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SJ0XdXWqU

But, like I said in the other thread the OP made, I cannot comment on the 3rd party bat grips because I have the Nikon grip.
    Jer
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited May 30, 2010
    ziggy, it has been proven that the tripod mount is actually more secure than the regular camera strap holders. ...

I'll have a more complete answer later but for now I am not saying not to use the Black Rapid system. Thousands of these products are in use and many folks have no problems. I do recommend that anyone using this system use an additional safety tether. There are opportunities for failure in the system that I will describe later.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    ziggy, it has been proven that the tripod mount is actually more secure than the regular camera strap holders. I use the black rapid system with my gripped D700 and have not had a single issue. The connector that goes on the tripod mount has a rubber seal, which keeps it nice and tight.

Here's a video that explains the strength of the tripod mount with the r-strap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SJ0XdXWqU

But, like I said in the other thread the OP made, I cannot comment on the 3rd party bat grips because I have the Nikon grip.

Great video...thanks for sharing. This topic is perfect, since I just picked up an R-5 strap and was thinking the same thing about my Zeikos grip. I've decided to skip the grip when using the R-Strap, just to be safe. Better safe than sorry in my case, and I don't typically need the grip when doing tourist type shots. The strap itself will easily hold a spare battery or two, making the grip virtually pointless for my needs.

Regarding R-Strap failures, most of what I've seen online was people saying the buckle up on the shoulder would give out and the strap would release through that plastic clasp. I guess there was an initial product QA issue with the connector, but they did a recall and replaced them. Now, it's just a matter of double-checking for a secure fit now and then.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    I've considered the BR strap for a while now, but everytime I get close to an order what is see is my camera hanging on a thing, on a thing, on a thing, on a thing. I can't get past that, it just does not make sense to me. I do think that BR has really figured out the UX (user experience... I been developing too much software lately), that's why I keep looking at it.

One of those things is a tiny pin head (used to be a tiny screw head) that the entire weight of the camera as it rotates on as it wears down the tiny pin head.

Another one of those things is a bent piece of wire holding the entire camera. I'm sure its really good wire but just doesn't seem like the way to support a $5000.00 bill.

Even if the base of the camera is its strongest part, its the attachment screw that worries me. Tightening up a screw directly into the base plate of a camera is not the same as using a screw to attach a tripod base or bracket. In the latter case theer is no "wiggling" stress on the screw, it is almost all tensile stress. That's because the bracket spreads out over the camera base and prevents the screw from feeling any wiggling stress as the camera moves around. Even tiny wiggling stress can cause a screw to fail over time.

All these issues are time based, that fact that it hasn't failed for a year doesn't necessarily tell you much. One of the schticks professors often use in a first materials science class of the semester, is to have a big weight hanging off a piece of wire while the give the talk. When the get things right about 30 min into the lecture the wire breaks with a big thud.

I'm sure I am being overly cautious, but BR offers and alterative attachment screw... why? If the one that comes with it works, it works.

If I do go the BR route, and I still any because the UX is really great, for sure I will take Ziggy's advise and have a failsafe extra strap.
    edited June 1, 2010
    My impression on the newest BR fastener was that it was designed to be lower profile. From what I've read, there are complaints that the FastenR-2 connector gets in the way for some people when shooting in portrait orientation. The FastenR-3 eliminates the metal loop portion to remediate the portrait issue (supposedly...I haven't used it yet). I can see where the concern would be though, and definitely agree that wear and tear on the connector seems like a WHEN and not an IF on failure.

I like the failsafe attachment idea...any thoughts on what to do for that exactly? I'm not sure where/how to attach something like that and keep it out of the way.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »

All these issues are time based, that fact that it hasn't failed for a year doesn't necessarily tell you much. One of the schticks professors often use in a first materials science class of the semester, is to have a big weight hanging off a piece of wire while the give the talk. When the get things right about 30 min into the lecture the wire breaks with a big thud.

I think you are being slightly over cautious (not necessarily a bad thing). I mean, you could make this argument about just about anything. Everything will fail eventually (if under enough stress). I wouldn't worry about this type of failure. Seems the biggest issue was the screw coming unscrewed. They fixed that with the new connector with a rubber washer. I've never seen it come (even slightly) loose with this one. However, the older one was always working itself loose.

I can understand why people can be worried about the BR strap but I'd worry about any other strap just as much to be quite honest. The standard strap which comes with the camera is less secure (imo) than a BR strap and that's what most people use with their camera.
    edited June 2, 2010
    Update on the safety tether plan...

I searched around and found these: http://www.strapworks.com/Un_Hookem_tm_Quick_Release_Strap_Adapter_p/uh12nt.htm

UH12NT-2.jpg

I'll see how one of these goes with the R-5. Should be a simple thing and being only $8 shipped for two...can't really hurt to try.
  • GH41GH41 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    P1.jpg
  • GH41GH41 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    P2.jpg
    edited June 11, 2010
    here is what my safety tether ended up being:

897421871_CXZHZ-L.jpg

897421851_9hwhp-L.jpg

897421823_Xxb2H-L.jpg

897421757_FoM86-L.jpg

this is shown with the Zeikos grip attached to my 7D, but i'll most likely run without the grip in place.

there is still another point of failure i'd like to eliminate or reinforce, which is the plastic shoulder strap buckel. i'm considering just pushing a safety pin through it once it's adjusted to length, which would prevent the strap from slipping through the teeth. the safety tether is obviously not industrial strength, but the cheap locking carabiner also takes some load off the main contact point. feels very solid and still hangs perfectly at my side with the 70-200 2.8 IS. :D

i'll probably upgrade the secondary carabiner when i have time to find a stronger one in the same size. the quick release snap is handy so i can undo the tether with ease as well. if i wanted to be super cautious, i'd use the second tether strap that came in the package and attach to the other side of the camera too...but that's getting a bit crazy.
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    haha That's awesome. Definitely secured now!! I bought a Cotton Carrier but I think I am still going to get a Black Rapid strap. I have had my zeikos long enough now that I trust the tripod screw. It's turned out to be pretty good quality. I think BR worked out the issues they were having but for people who are still concerned.... they will appreciate your fix! Thanks for posting it!