Options

Big Sur - Big Stars

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited October 18, 2016 in Landscapes
Spent night at Big Sur. It was darkest I have ever seen. The wind was so strong it took half hour when I got home to get sand out of my eyes.

Night photography is still work in progress for me (as is rest of photography) but learn something new with every outing and have more plans to create better images.

All criticism and feedback is cherished!

1) Lighted Path
1W7A0918-Edit-X3.jpg

2) Star Portal
1W7A1008-Edit-X3.jpg

3) Starry Night at McWay falls
1W7A0931-X3.jpg

4) Star Station
1W7A1040-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited July 15, 2016
    Whoa! Looks like you're learning fast and loving it. I'd have to go with the McWay Falls shot as the best of the four. You got water over the falls too! Any way to tease out more from the dark shadows in the lower half of the first shot?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Whoa! Looks like you're learning fast and loving it. I'd have to go with the McWay Falls shot as the best of the four. You got water over the falls too! Any way to tease out more from the dark shadows in the lower half of the first shot?

Thanks David!

The dark area and not able to see the ocean in first shot bothers me just as much...I have to try and lift shadows/darks to see if some information is there. I was surprised how dark the whole area was....I couldn't see ocean with naked eye as well....

Have to try a long exposure to get information elsewhere and then try to overlay the bridge on it.....

Cheers!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    Another wonderful series of images. I'd say your progress for the night photography is coming along well, I'm inspired to get out and have a crack at it myself.

I favor #2 but I like the Bixby Bridge photo also. Did you paint light on the bridge shot?

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    Wow, Taz, you've left me speechless. (a rare occasion!) They are all great, but I think I love #1 the most - that bridge just adds something special.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Another wonderful series of images. I'd say your progress for the night photography is coming along well, I'm inspired to get out and have a crack at it myself.

I favor #2 but I like the Bixby Bridge photo also. Did you paint light on the bridge shot?

Phil

Thanks kindly Phil!

All of them are light painted.....and doing it to a large scene in complete darkness takes many tries and sometimes light falls right without going overboard on underexposed....

Want to do separate exposure for foreground by doing a long one.....that would open another creative door...

Cheers m8!
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2016
    Wow, Taz, you've left me speechless. (a rare occasion!) They are all great, but I think I love #1 the most - that bridge just adds something special.

Thanks Sara! Can't say that enough!wings.gifbow
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    clap.gifclapbowdown.gif Of course, they are all wonderful (as usual). But #3 and 4 are my favorites.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    clap.gifclapbowdown.gif Of course, they are all wonderful (as usual). But #3 and 4 are my favorites.

Thanks Jo! Appreciate it more than I can express! Cheers!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 15, 2016
    Fabulous milky way shots, Taz. For my taste, I'd dial down the light painting a bit next time and maybe warm it a bit, although that's personal preference.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    Fabulous milky way shots, Taz. For my taste, I'd dial down the light painting a bit next time and maybe warm it a bit, although that's personal preference.

Thanks K-dog!bowdown.gif

I agree completely! I can tone it down in post now....pushed it because I always feel it is too dim on web compared to what I see in LR, but now I know I went over....Cheers!!
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    These are great Taz! I keep telling myself i'm going to try some night photo's like this but keep letting life get in my way... I did a Star trail some years back and haven't tried it since!
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2016
    Wiren wrote: »
    These are great Taz! I keep telling myself i'm going to try some night photo's like this but keep letting life get in my way... I did a Star trail some years back and haven't tried it since!

Thanks Lee! Keep shooting man! For night on coast....you need moonless (25% or less), fog-less and cloud-less nights.....marine layer is near impossible to predict so you have to try try and try.....In your part of the world, tons of waterfalls.....I would try to find one that aligns with MW! Cheers!!
  • Options
    dragandjordjevicdragandjordjevic Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2016
    Great, all of them. Must try something like this myself.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2016
    Great, all of them. Must try something like this myself.thumb.gif

Thanks much! I am overjoyed but I know so much more to be figured out and tried!

Pick a time when it is fogless and cloudless and perhaps with 20-25% moon.....that would light up the scene for you....having some foreground close by gives opportunity to throw some light at it in more controlled fashion......Widest lens may need to be either be zoomed in a tad or you need to stop down like f-4 (assuming you have lens that can go f2.8)....need high ISO, 5K and above......reduce noise in LR......500 rule exists.....500/focal-length for amount of shutter.....however i think that rule is not conservative enough....you have to keep shutter 10-20% less than that.....reason being you don't want stars that move....or look like dashes instead of dots......I am still struggling with those.......just few thoughts.....cheers m8!
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2016
    Love 2 and 4 with and honorable mention to number 1. Pretty cool shots!!!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2016
    Love 2 and 4 with and honorable mention to number 1. Pretty cool shots!!!

Thanks Mike!
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2016
    jerryr wrote: »
    Excellent work !! #2 is my favorite ! jerryr

Thanks Jerry!! Cheers!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    And big, bold beautiful photos! The last is awesome but the first one is great as well....I think! The bridge gives scale a the lights give a nice toich. Really....these are awe inspiring! clap.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    Magical! wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    And big, bold beautiful photos! The last is awesome but the first one is great as well....I think! The bridge gives scale a the lights give a nice toich. Really....these are awe inspiring! clap.gif

Thanks Anna Maria! My day is made! bowdown.gif
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2016
    Magical! wow

Thanks kindly Awais! Always great to hear from you!
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2016
    These are both beautiful and inspiring! I really need to try some milky way photography!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2016
    These are both beautiful and inspiring! I really need to try some milky way photography!

Thanks Carl!!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2016
    As always Taz, so well-done... beautiful and full of impact. clap.gif
    Congrats on a fine effort... and it actually takes considerable effort to get to these places and get these images at that hour!

Was JFB State Park actually open that late? Did you park on the road?
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    As always Taz, so well-done... beautiful and full of impact. clap.gif
    Congrats on a fine effort... and it actually takes considerable effort to get to these places and get these images at that hour!

Was JFB State Park actually open that late? Did you park on the road?

Thanks Eric! Means a lot to me!

They don't have anything blocking it at night and photographers are always there so I guess not a big deal....

However, to get the one with Pfeiffer Portal, there are multiple signs warning against being there after sunset.......chances of getting busted are low......and I don't know what the damage would be if I did get busted...

Cheers m8!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2016
    I just saw these. I have no worthwhile comments because I don't know anything about this kind of photography, but they're really fine shots! As usual.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I just saw these. I have no worthwhile comments because I don't know anything about this kind of photography, but they're really fine shots! As usual.

Thanks Don! As you know, I value your input *highly*!wings.gif
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2016
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2016
    WOW, great job! Really like #2 & #3.

What did you use to light the foreground?

Thanks Mike! I truly appreciate it!

I use this light - Z96

https://www.amazon.com/HDV-Z96-96-LED-Light-Kit/dp/B003UCGDSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470020783&sr=8-1&keywords=Z96

Sometimes the light-painting adds something wonderful! However, my next goal is to do a long exposure for foreground and blend it in with sky.

EDIT:

So with this light you just hold it and it hits the subject uniformly. When batteries weaken, power weakens. You have to be 10-15 feet away from your tri-pod so it doesn't pick up light noise from light painting. I set 10 second timer.....then run to a spot, then run back, and the keep going back and forth till something reasonable comes out. If with another photographer, one person can watch the tripods and release shutter and other can light paint......it would simplify the task.

Cheers!