Options

Maui Sugar Cane Fire

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited October 18, 2016 in Landscapes
As the year is nearing a close, so is the story of sugar cane and Maui. This is the last year HC&S will be growing / harvesting sugar on the island, after a 50 year run, due to environmental regulation crackdown (they use a plastic base chemical to accelerate the burns, which in turn poisons the atmosphere, causing terrible respiratory issues for many).

Since there are only a handful of burns remaining, it's my goal to capture them, at their varying times of day.

Below is a shot of this morning's cane burn on the north end of the island, near Kahului and Paia. This image is comprised of a 3 photo stitch, worked in LR. I chose to use a spherical stitch, so as to limit the crazy skewing that comes from perpective stitching. I'm pleased with the overall outcome.

You might notice the ground in the right portion of the image seems to 'warp' upward. However, that is an illusion. In fact, that is the base of a 10,000ft dormant volcano (Haleakala), so it's actually ramping upward.

This was shot with a DJI Phantom 4 @ 398ft above ground level

DJI_0903-Pano-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2016
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing the back story!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing the back story!

Thank you, Taz, for taking the time to read it. I'm heading out tomorrow morning to capture another, I'll be sure to share it.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2016
    Nice recording. I'm looking forward to the other captures you plan on doing. Great stuff and a good story.
    Best,
    -Len
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2016
    A very interesting story and great photo to show us. This is cool!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the positive encouragement and kind words! I'll try to capture as many burns as I can :)