Return to Africa

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited November 24, 2012 in Journeys
Hi Y'all,

Earlier this month I got to return to Africa. This time we visited South Africa. The workshop was led by Marc Muench, Andy Williams (aka - Bad Andy) an Andy Biggs (aka- the good Andy).

After a 14 hour flight we reached Johannesburg. If I end up in hell when I die I expect it to be quite similar to spending 14 hours in coach and eating airline food. We spent the first night in Johannesburg in this hovel.

Fuji X100
safricafuji0321-XL.jpg

the next morning we flew to Sangita in Sabi Sands game reserve.
Fuji X100
safricafuji0297-XL.jpg

Our home for the next 10 days was the Singita Castelton Camp
Fuji X100
safricafuji0177-XL.jpg

S. Africa was very different from Kenya. It was a lot colder with the temps in the low 30s in the early AM and early evenings. It warmed up to the high 60s and low 70s in the afternoons. I usually wore 4-5 layers starting out and delayered as the day warmed up. The landscape was very different as we had to track our subjects and they were rarely in a wide open plain as they were in Kenya. We usually were able to get fairly close to our subjects and my 70-200 got a lot of use. I ended up with a little more than 10,000 captures by the end of the safari.

Here are a few captures from the first two days.

Female Impala
D800E and the 70-200 2.8, ISO 1000
8000752bw-XL.jpg

Elephant
D800E with the 70-200 and 1.4 TC, ISO 800
8000796bw-XL.jpg

Lion at the water hole
D4 and the 200-400 f/4 ISO 800
8000591-XL.jpg

Mating Leopards
D4 and the 200-400 ISO 6400
D4D3615-XL.jpg

Leopard
D4 and the 200-400 ISO 8000
D4D3822bw-XL.jpg

Sunrise
D800E and the 200-400 ISO 1600
8000645-XL.jpg

One of the more dangerous moments of the trip :yikes Notice the Nikon cap that he is wearing.
Fuji X100
safricafuji0254-XL.jpg

stayed tuned as I will inflict some more pictures on y'all later.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Wow, Harry. They are all great, but that sunrise is one of my favorite photos ever. How fortunate to get the tree, and then the deer in the foreground. How did you get the sun to not be blown out? I guess my question is how did you get the exposure so right? The color of the sky is so beautiful. Can't wait for more photos. I know I'm not the only one who checks the wildlife forum every day to see if you have any posted yet. Welcome home. Best, Pam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    One of the more dangerous moments of the trip :yikes Notice the Nikon cap that he is wearing.
    Fuji X100
    safricafuji0254-300x300.jpg

stayed tuned as I will inflict some more pictures on y'all later.

lol3.giflol3.gif You were cowering behind a tree, but I hit the bulls-eye deal.gif

i-MXjS453-L.jpg

i-VSpNgfR-L.jpg
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    Wow, Harry. They are all great, but that sunrise is one of my favorite photos ever. How fortunate to get the tree, and then the deer in the foreground. How did you get the sun to not be blown out? I guess my question is how did you get the exposure so right? The color of the sky is so beautiful. Can't wait for more photos. I know I'm not the only one who checks the wildlife forum every day to see if you have any posted yet. Welcome home. Best, Pam

Glad you enjoyed them Pam.

On the sunrise capture I exposed for the sun then in post I brought out the shadow detail with Nik's Detail Extractor tool.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 28, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    lol3.giflol3.gif You were cowering behind a tree, but I hit the bulls-eye deal.gif

i-MXjS453-L.jpg

i-VSpNgfR-L.jpg

You shot 6 arrows but I only see 3 in the general proximity of the target. I survived 2 years in Vietnam by cowering I'm not about to get off a winning horse.
    Harry
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    Looks like you had another great time in Africa, Harry! I am looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Those 14 hours flying has probably stopped me from flying back more frequently.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • FenixFenix Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2012
    Wow, that sunrise picture is aces!
    edited June 30, 2012
    Looks like you had another great time in Africa, Harry! I am looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Those 14 hours flying has probably stopped me from flying back more frequently.

Thanks Glenn and I should be posting the next batch later today.

Those 14 hours would be a deterrence to frequent trips. Fortunately the pay off exceed the price.
    Harry
    edited July 2, 2012
    Fenix wrote: »
    Wow, that sunrise picture is aces!

Thanks, I'm not great at landscapes but when you're hanging out with Marc you have to throw one in every now and then
    Harry
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Thanks, I'm not great at landscapes but when you're hanging out with Marc you have to throw one in every now and then

Harry,

Wonderful images...you should look into selling them...if that interests you. Nothing wrong with making a little money on some stellar images. It helps with the NAS...lol...

Thanks for sharing...can't wait to see more...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    edited July 6, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Harry,

Wonderful images...you should look into selling them...if that interests you. Nothing wrong with making a little money on some stellar images. It helps with the NAS...lol...

Thanks for sharing...can't wait to see more...

Thanks very much Ed. I used to sell my pics but it became like having that J thing again. :yikes
    Harry
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2012
    Thanks very much Ed. I used to sell my pics but it became like having that J thing again. :yikes

I know what you mean...that's the same reason that I shoot very few weddings these days. Retired and loving it.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • cammotcammot Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2012

I ended up with a little more than 10,000 captures by the end of the safari.

WoW !!! 10,000 captures !!! That's a lot of clicks and memory cards !. Kindly, help me estimate how much memory (CF Cards) I am going to need. We got a 20 day trip covering Victoria Falls (two days), Okawango (three days), Blue Train (day and a half), Cape Town (three days), Garden Route (three days) and finally Londolozi in Kruger (two days). I currently have 32 Gigs available on three cards, which should allow approx 1600 captures for the entire trip. My settings on the D700 will be at the maximum fine quality at raw capture.

Given your expirience, am I going short on memories ?. It's difficult to imagine how one could manage 10,000 captures, considering all the editing after I get back home.

Any thoughts, on best practices. Would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Ben
    edited July 21, 2012
    cammot wrote: »
    WoW !!! 10,000 captures !!! That's a lot of clicks and memory cards !. Kindly, help me estimate how much memory (CF Cards) I am going to need. We got a 20 day trip covering Victoria Falls (two days), Okawango (three days), Blue Train (day and a half), Cape Town (three days), Garden Route (three days) and finally Londolozi in Kruger (two days). I currently have 32 Gigs available on three cards, which should allow approx 1600 captures for the entire trip. My settings on the D700 will be at the maximum fine quality at raw capture.

Given your expirience, am I going short on memories ?. It's difficult to imagine how one could manage 10,000 captures, considering all the editing after I get back home.

Any thoughts, on best practices. Would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Ben

Hey Ben,

MY gear for the trip was the D4, D800E, D3s (backup body) and the Fuji X-100. For glass I had the 200-400 f4 VR 1, the 70-200 2.8 VR 1, and the 24-70 2.8 along with the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 TCs. Each of the cameras needed their own battery charger and I took 2-3 batteries for each camera. Then I had my travel tripod, my monopod, the RRS gimble head for the monopod and a RRS head for the tripod. I also had the Manfrotto clamp for the monopod. I took 6 32 gig and 3 16 gig CF cards, 2 32 gig and 1 16 gig XQD cards, 4 32 gig and 2 16 gig SD cards. I added on my artic butterfly, rocket blower, sensor cleaning swabs, sensor cleaning fluids, sensor brush, sensor loupe, lens pens and cleaning cloths and lens cleaning pads. I'm took my laptop and external 2 TB external hard drive for downloading and storage. Finally I also took my SB-900 speedlight, flash cable, and shutter release cable and a few filters.
    Harry
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    Hey Ben,

MY gear for the trip was the D4, D800E, D3s (backup body) and the Fuji X-100. For glass I had the 200-400 f4 VR 1, the 70-200 2.8 VR 1, and the 24-70 2.8 along with the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 TCs. Each of the cameras needed their own battery charger and I took 2-3 batteries for each camera. Then I had my travel tripod, my monopod, the RRS gimble head for the monopod and a RRS head for the tripod. I also had the Manfrotto clamp for the monopod. I took 6 32 gig and 3 16 gig CF cards, 2 32 gig and 1 16 gig XQD cards, 4 32 gig and 2 16 gig SD cards. I added on my artic butterfly, rocket blower, sensor cleaning swabs, sensor cleaning fluids, sensor brush, sensor loupe, lens pens and cleaning cloths and lens cleaning pads. I'm took my laptop and external 2 TB external hard drive for downloading and storage. Finally I also took my SB-900 speedlight, flash cable, and shutter release cable and a few filters.

headscratch.gif How did you transport all that stuff, Harry? And, how much of that stuff did you actually wind up using? I've been considering an African Safari, myself, but after reading this post, I'm inclined to go on another cruise. rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 21, 2012
    dlplumer wrote: »
    headscratch.gif How did you transport all that stuff, Harry? And, how much of that stuff did you actually wind up using? I've been considering an African Safari, myself, but after reading this post, I'm inclined to go on another cruise. rolleyes1.gif

You have to remember that Linda went too. Linda was only shooting with a Coolpix so I had two carry on bags (the Pelican rolling bag for Linda and the Guru Gear Kiboko bag with me). No problem.

Unfortunately Linda is now shooting with a D7000 so I will have to cut back a bit for the Kenya trip in February. If you are thinking of an African Safari that would be a good op for you.
    Harry
    edited July 22, 2012
    One of the things I appreciate about traveling to Africa is that I'm cut off from the "normal" distractions of daliy life. There is no telephone, no TV, no internet, no newspaper, etc. One is free to concentrate on the moment and no camera is required to appreciate the moment.

I did however happen to have a few cameras with me and South Africa did provide some moments.

two affectionate leopards - D4, 200-400 f/4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 8000
    D4D3796-XL.jpg

One of our vehicles across from a cheetah - Fuji X-100, ISO 200
    safricafuji0170-XL.jpg

One of my high points was to be in the middle of a herd of elephants - D4, 70-200 2.8, ISO 1600
    D4D5105-XL.jpg

D4, 70-200 2.8
    D4D5182-XL.jpg

D4, 70-200, ISO 1600

D4D5126-XL.jpg

We had quite a few meet-ups with lions
    D800E and the 200-400 VR, ISO 800
    8000606-XL.jpg

D800E with the 70-200 2.8, ISO 1600
    8000990bw-XL.jpg

D4 and the 70-200 2.8, ISO 2000
    D4D4157-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    D800E with the 70-200 2.8, ISO 1600
    8000990bw-S.jpg
    They're all great but I *love* this one.
    We still have room on the next trip that Harry's going on, who is in? ear.gif
  • D3XwannabeD3Xwannabe Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Wow!
    All I can say is this must have the trip of a lifetime! I know it would be for me. To be wrapped in all that beauty and to see animals the way they were meant to be (free) must have given you goose flesh the first couple of days! Beautiful photography, skillfully done! I would have a hard time choosing only one as my favorite.

Cheers,
    CARL
    D3XWannabe
    edited July 26, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

You got me sold, Linda and I will be going. It is truly a trip of a life time.
    Harry
    edited July 31, 2012
    D3Xwannabe wrote: »
    All I can say is this must have the trip of a lifetime! I know it would be for me. To be wrapped in all that beauty and to see animals the way they were meant to be (free) must have given you goose flesh the first couple of days! Beautiful photography, skillfully done! I would have a hard time choosing only one as my favorite.

Cheers,

Thanks Carl. This was my second trip to Africa and I have a third scheduled for February. I get goose flesh every time I go there. It is just an amazing place and a photographer's dream.
    Harry
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Harry, did you ever use anything longer than 400mm on this trip? In one photo you posted that you used the 200-400 with a 1.4TC, but the EXIF shows that the focal length was actually 280mm, so apparently you were at the short end.
    edited August 7, 2012
    jthomas wrote: »
    Harry, did you ever use anything longer than 400mm on this trip? In one photo you posted that you used the 200-400 with a 1.4TC, but the EXIF shows that the focal length was actually 280mm, so apparently you were at the short end.

The 200-400 was my longest lens. I used it with a TC frequently, usually the 1.4. The bextra reach provided for by the TC was rarely necessary except for a few bird captures.
    Harry
  • rojam1000rojam1000 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    great series
  • Pauhana2011Pauhana2011 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2012
    Wow, nice work! I like all you have posted but your cat images are special!!!
  • Randy LawsonRandy Lawson Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Very Nice , I am looking at my first trip to Africa for 2013, Still in the planning stages but my wife gave me the thumbs up for the trip. That was the first step. :D:D
    Randy
    edited September 4, 2012
    Very Nice , I am looking at my first trip to Africa for 2013, Still in the planning stages but my wife gave me the thumbs up for the trip. That was the first step. :D:D

You will love Africa when you get there. BTW there are two spot on this Africa trip in 2013.
    http://www.muenchworkshops.com/Workshops/Africa-Photo-Safari-2013/20280729_8TJrSF
    Harry
    edited September 4, 2012
    Its very hard for me to communicate the excitement and the beauty of Africa. Fortunately I had a few cameras with me that manage to communicate far better than my words ever could.

Sunrise - D800E with the 70-200mm 2.8
    8000675-XL.jpg

Wart hog -D800E and the 200-400 f/4
    8002157bw-XL.jpg

cheetah - D800E and the 200-400 f/4 + 1.4 TC
    8002992-XL.jpg

a shy elephant - D4 and the 70-200 2.8
    D4D5169-XL.jpg

an elephant calf getting a helping trunk from his mom
    D800E and the 200-400 f/4
    8002539bw-XL.jpg

a grey heron at sunset
    D800E and the 200-400
    8002572-XL.jpg

the yawn - D800E and the 200-400 f/4
    8002595-XL.jpg

young elephant - D800E and the 200-400 f/4
    8002399-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited September 4, 2012
    I'm a sucker for the elephants.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited September 5, 2012
    rojam1000 wrote: »
    great series
    Wow, nice work! I like all you have posted but your cat images are special!!!

Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed them
    Harry