New website Please help me

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited July 31, 2014 in Landscapes
Not sure the best place to post this but since I do some landscape I thought this might be a good place to start.

I just bit the bullet and pulled the plug on my new site. There is still more work left but I think it's far enough along to get some feed back.

How is the sizing, layout for your computer and screen?

Is it easy to navigate?

Do see any images in the home page slideshow you would eliminate?

Any gross errors or foo-pahs.

Thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!!!

Sam

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Hi Sam,
    No trouble navigating.
    Sizing seems okay even though I used my work 15 inch dell.
    I will take a look from home too.
    Favorites are always different for different people. I would have different ones in home page slide show (Your abstracts, still life, and motor-sport galleries are superb!).
    Under fine print gallery there is landscape gallery and then Grand Canyon and Mono Lake and some others are split out that I would think would be under landscape as sub-galleries.
    It is hard to reduce count.
    However, anything similar or anything that doesn't have impact and is more of a "documentary" variety, unless there is an emotional attachment, I would delete them.
    Ones with emotional attachment, throw them all in one and do a caption write-up....maybe story would make them better.

Don't take my opinions seriously!
    Cheers!
    Taz
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Few comments.

Excellent photography - far superior than my capabilities.

Logo - is well done - would like to know how you did that?

"About" content I think it is too long - I would think less than half would be appropriate. What are the three most important things you want people to know about your photography?

I am fan of "collage" for the galleries. Post a note to click one to enlarge and then the viewer can browse through it.

Order of Galleries seems unusual.

There is code to replace "x" with a word like "Exit". If you like that I will dig that out. Example here.

I have included text on my menu "to press F11" to best view the photos. I say that because I have noticed that so many people have their browser set with so many lines at that top that it really reduces space to see the photos. Just a thought.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Few comments.

"About" content I think it is too long - I would think less than half would be appropriate. What are the three most important things you want people to know about your photography?

I am fan of "collage" for the galleries. Post a note to click one to enlarge and then the viewer can browse through it.

There is code to replace "x" with a word like "Exit". If you like that I will dig that out. Example here.

I have included text on my menu "to press F11" to best view the photos. I say that because I have noticed that so many people have their browser set with so many lines at that top that it really reduces space to see the photos. Just a thought.

Phil

This is good stuff. I will be looking at this for a week or so and working on it.

I like the EXIT add on. Nice.

I have no idea what press f11 will get you. It reduces the sound on my Mac. :D

Logo?? It is my name. Text created in CS6.

I will revisit the about me page.

I am not clear about the order of the galleries being unusual. Can you provide a little more?

Sam
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Few comments.

Phil
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    No trouble navigating.
    Sizing seems okay even though I used my work 15 inch dell.
    I will take a look from home too.
    Favorites are always different for different people. I would have different ones in home page slide show (Your abstracts, still life, and motor-sport galleries are superb!).
    Under fine print gallery there is landscape gallery and then Grand Canyon and Mono Lake and some others are split out that I would think would be under landscape as sub-galleries.
    It is hard to reduce count.
    However, anything similar or anything that doesn't have impact and is more of a "documentary" variety, unless there is an emotional attachment, I would delete them.
    Ones with emotional attachment, throw them all in one and do a caption write-up....maybe story would make them better.

Don't take my opinions seriously!
    Cheers!
    Taz

Good point on the landscape galleries. I will consolidate.

AS to the slide show I guess I was looking for opinions on which images didn't seem to work together or upset the shows flow.

Thanks!!

Sam
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    I see. The slide show has one of everything, to highlight versatility I assume. It is difficult for those images to work together. JMO.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    This is good stuff. I will be looking at this for a week or so and working on it.

I have no idea what press f11 will get you. It reduces the sound on my Mac. :D

I am not clear about the order of the galleries being unusual. Can you provide a little more?

Sam

F11 on PC removes all the browser bars. I have watched people look at my site and was amazed about how much of their screen is taken up by toolbars. What is for Mac?

Galleries - just referring to list of items in Galleries menu - not a biggy.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil