Options

Halona Beach Cove

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited July 27, 2014 in Landscapes
Also known as Cockroach Cove.

DSC_0535-Edit.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 17, 2014
    Despite the name of the location, this is a very attractive piece of work!!

Well done!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Despite the name of the location, this is a very attractive piece of work!!

Well done!

Thanks Path. It's funny because I got to this spot butt-crack early, expecting not to find anyone. I had cased it out a couple days before. I got there and found another photog already there... and setup in the exact spot I had planned to shoot. I was a bit frustrated but nothing more I could do than to find another comp to shoot. I did and shot the sunrise as it broke the horizon. Then as I was packing up, decided to stop and check out this spot; the sun hadn't risen over the rocks yet and was still color in the sky. This composition turned out way better than my original plan and the others I took. Worked out well for me. clap.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 17, 2014
    It certianly did, indeed!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    Wow! That is a winner. I expect many people would buy a print of that image.

Few things I would like to know about this shot. Where is the point of focus? And what is the ISO; f/stop; and focal length?

Shutter speed looks to be fairly high. So, I if were to guess. My SWAG: Focus point 1/3rd into the image, ISO 400, focal length 24mm, and f/stop 22.

I have done some sunsets but not sunrises.

How far off am I?
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    What a beautiful image. I love the color, mood and all the little details in the rocks. Very well done.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2014
    boco wrote: »
    Prachtige opname.
    grt,boco.

Dank u meneer. clap.gif
    Wow! That is a winner. I expect many people would buy a print of that image.

Few things I would like to know about this shot. Where is the point of focus? And what is the ISO; f/stop; and focal length?

Shutter speed looks to be fairly high. So, I if were to guess. My SWAG: Focus point 1/3rd into the image, ISO 400, focal length 24mm, and f/stop 22.

I have done some sunsets but not sunrises.

How far off am I?

Thanks. Lets see if I can I remember all the details:

- Focus Point was the front side of the long set of rocks in what appears to the be the middle of the photo.

- Focal Length was 20mm on my Nikkor 17-35mm lens.

- ISO was 50.

- Aperture was set at f/22.

- Shutter was 1/6 of a second... at least on the exposure I saved the end product on. This was a manual blend of 2 exposures. Don't recall if the 1/6 was for the sky or the foreground.

As far as sunset vs sunrise... I don't know if there is really a difference in light, but I find that I enjoy the light more, and the effects in the sky and landscape of sunrise shots over sunset. Especially in Hawaii. It seems that sunsets are hit or miss there because it typically rains in the evening. You get storm clouds that roll in and they can sock the sun in. Whereas with sunrises, the sky is a bit more clean but there's enough cloud to at drama.
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    What a beautiful image. I love the color, mood and all the little details in the rocks. Very well done.

Thank you sir!!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2014

- Shutter was 1/6 of a second... at least on the exposure I saved the end product on. This was a manual blend of 2 exposures. Don't recall if the 1/6 was for the sky or the foreground.

Thank you sir!!

So, this was two images you merged - like a horizontal panorama? Do I have that right?

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2014
    So, this was two images you merged - like a horizontal panorama? Do I have that right?

Phil

No, not like a panorama. I took two shots of the same composition, but one was set to get the sky exposed correctly and the second for the foreground exposure. I then layered the two shots in Photoshop and blended them together using a mask.

Does that help?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2014
    No, not like a panorama. I took two shots of the same composition, but one was set to get the sky exposed correctly and the second for the foreground exposure. I then layered the two shots in Photoshop and blended them together using a mask.

Does that help?

Yes that helps much. I will have to try that. Thanks again,
    Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Oh wow! That is so lush and dramatic! A stunner!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    This is a wall hanger for sure. Nice composition, light, and the sun was caught just at the right moment.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2014
    Eia wrote: »
    Oh wow! That is so lush and dramatic! A stunner!

Thanks!
    Very moody. Great job!

Thank you.
    Sam wrote: »
    This is a wall hanger for sure. Nice composition, light, and the sun was caught just at the right moment.

Sam

Thanks Sam!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2014
    I sent the link to this photo to a few friends and I keep going back to it. Love to see this one in a very large print!

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2014