First BIG Wedding

pjamespjames Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited September 16, 2011 in Weddings
Hello all. Have been doing portraits for a little while, but have just made the jump to weddings. I had my first small one a few weeks ago and it went well. I muddled through with just one body and two lenses. But in a couple weeks I am doing a much larger wedding. This time I am renting another body. My question is whether you think I also need to rent an additional lens? I currently have a Pentax 18-55II and a Pentax 55-300. I'm leaning towards renting a good prime lens. What are your thoughts? Thanks for any advice...
-Pat James
Pat James Photography
St. Louis Wedding and Portrait Photographer
http://www.pat-james.com

Comments

• sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited August 29, 2011
    What do you mean by larger? Number of guests? How long the day is? The key for me is to have 2 really good versatile lenses, that can go wide to medium, and then medium to long. Then one prime / macro for the detail shots. The true key to weddings is preparation. You need to discuss in advance what the key moments are, where you can/can't go on location, what is the shot list and who for every group is responsible to corralling the group ("Susan, help me gather the bride's corworkers"). Make sure you discuss timeline... most brides underestimate time for each section (it's normal, it's their first time), so it's your job to make sure you have enough time to deliver the best quality you can deliver.
  • pjamespjames Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    sphynge wrote: »
    What do you mean by larger? Number of guests? How long the day is?

By bigger I mean yes and yes. 200 guests, 7 hours, 4 locations. And thanks for your suggestions....
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 30, 2011
    sphynge wrote: »
    The true key to weddings is preparation. You need to discuss in advance what the key moments are, where you can/can't go on location, what is the shot list and who for every group is responsible to corralling the group ("Susan, help me gather the bride's corworkers"). Make sure you discuss timeline... most brides underestimate time for each section (it's normal, it's their first time), so it's your job to make sure you have enough time to deliver the best quality you can deliver.
    This seems like really good advise. Awesome website you have. thumb.gif
    edited August 30, 2011
    Yes, all excellent advice, and it's appreciated. I am already on top of shot lists, meeting with the client, etc. It would be great if someone could answer my original question, though. Glass suggestions...do you think I require an additional prime lens to use on my rented body? Thanks...
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    One thing I can see right off is the glass you have is very slow. See if you can beg borrow etc some faster glass. Also how are you set for flash? How is your camera's performance at high ISO? Are you shooting RAW? Have you got plenty of memory? I find zooms to be the most versatile and like one at wide to med, say 24 to 70 2.8 on a full frame camera, and a 70-200 2.8. A nice 50 1.4 mm or 85 mm 1.4 prime would be a great for both low light and more creative shots.

I think that with a one man band I might just try and get two fast zooms and work with them.

Sam
    edited August 30, 2011
    That's what I'm looking for, thanks Sam! YES, I shoot all Raw. I have a Pentax K200, which is sufficient at low light and high ISO...but not great. Luckily this wedding is mostly all outside. I am set for flash using a Pentax AF360...but I did notice at my last wedding it did start to overheat and slow down when shooting a lot in succession. Thanks for the zoom suggestions. I plan to rent this time, but am looking to invest soon. Thanks so much. :D
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I love having my prime lenses for low light situations and also to help highlight specific people in the crowd by using a wide aperture. I use my 85 1.4 ALOT. On the other hand, zooms can be much more versatile in fast paced situations. It really depends on what makes you comfortable.
  • trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    The k200d might work great for a bright wedding in the middle of the afternoon but inside is a different story. Personally I would not shoot a colored image above 800 ISO with it. You might want to look at selling it and getting a used k-x for $300. The k-x blows doors on my k200d and is better with ISO than my Canon 60d. Anywise just a thought. If you rent a k-5 at least you will have one good camera for shooting in low light, the difference is huge! Or you could put the rental money towards a new camera, the k-x is a wonderful camera though you do loose the weather sealing and illuminating focus point. You for sure need at least one fast lens. I would recommend the Sigma 30 1.4 or the Pentax FA 50 1.4. Below is a link to the third wedding my wife and I shot. We used a K20d,k200d and k-x
    http://captivatedstudio.com/wedding/?p=156
  • sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited September 2, 2011
    Thank you
    kdog wrote: »
    This seems like really good advise. Awesome website you have. thumb.gif

Thank you Kdog :ivar
    edited September 12, 2011
    trevorb wrote: »
    The k200d might work great for a bright wedding in the middle of the afternoon but inside is a different story. Personally I would not shoot a colored image above 800 ISO with it. You might want to look at selling it and getting a used k-x for $300. The k-x blows doors on my k200d and is better with ISO than my Canon 60d. Anywise just a thought. If you rent a k-5 at least you will have one good camera for shooting in low light, the difference is huge! Or you could put the rental money towards a new camera, the k-x is a wonderful camera though you do loose the weather sealing and illuminating focus point. You for sure need at least one fast lens. I would recommend the Sigma 30 1.4 or the Pentax FA 50 1.4. Below is a link to the third wedding my wife and I shot. We used a K20d,k200d and k-x
    http://captivatedstudio.com/wedding/?p=156

WONDERFUL work. Thanks so much for the advice!! Now I am wavering between the K-5 and Nikon D7000.
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
  • trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    pjames wrote: »
    WONDERFUL work. Thanks so much for the advice!! Now I am wavering between the K-5 and Nikon D7000.

Thanks! That’s a tough one. If you are hoping to go full frame someday might want to go with the Nikon, especially since you are not too vested in Pentax yet. I don’t see Pentax coming out with a full frame camera any time soon especially since they sold out to Ricoh this year, but who knows. On the other hand my friend has a k-5 and it is pretty amazing.
  • ZauiZaui Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    pjames wrote: »
    Now I am wavering between the K-5 and Nikon D7000.

For what it's worth, Nikon had loaners at the Utah state fair this year and I borrowed a D7000 and had my Pentax K20D with me. Now maybe it was the lens (the Nikon had a 18-200mm IS ultrasonic lens and the K20D had a DA 18-250mm) but that darn thing was focus hunting all the time. Much more then my Pentax. Drove me nuts.

So I'd borrow one and try it out before committing.
    Scott Catron - Sandy, Utah
    PPGFlickrWikimedia Commons