Options

Tips for a sunnnnny wedding!

ashleyaleeseashleyaleese Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited August 8, 2011 in Weddings
So I just looked at the venue of a wedding I will be doing. Its gorgeous- but everything is in full sun at the ceremony- aside from the bride and groom under the gazebo. The wedding will be at 4:30pm.

Anyone have tips on shooting in full sun at that time? I like Shade- so this will be interesting! :)

venue ---> http://www.bellafiorigarden.com/

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I start by finding all the angles at which people's faces will be away from the sun. Some people may recommend using fill flash in bright sun, but during a ceremony I usually avoid it. Nailing your exposure and finding the right angles is usually enough.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    DarrylDSmithDarrylDSmith Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    It's one of the hardest things to do. I've shot a few, and some of my shots -- the ones I really liked -- came out overexposed. You'll have to continually check your metering, even when they are under the gazebo. It's tough but manageable. Flash may be needed, but if used, I'd close up the aperture so the background isn't washed out.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Thanks! I am really not a fan of flash and try hard to use natural light all of the time. It can be a challenge, but I feel accomplished when I can still nail it either way. :)
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    When people do that -- get married in the full sun UNDER a gazebo? I almost don't care anymore. I think, "well, you've given me an impossible scenario, so... oh well..." I basically just put my 135L on and shoot closeups of the people under the gazebo. I mean, if they're in the shade, the sun is bright, and all the guests are in the sun, there's nothing you can do about that.

I haven't had one of these in about 4 years, but I remember then like they were yesterday and totally feel your pain ;)

Just remember that this was THEIR choice -- and while you want to do the best you can, you aren't a miracle worker who can expose for two opposite areas (the overly lit up guests and the under lit wedding party) at the same time. That'd be a super hero power :P

If you've got a good relationship with the bride/groom, I'd let them know the challenges ahead of you -- but then assure them "but don't worry, I'll still kill it :D" Just to bring about some reasonable expectations for them.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Aaaaand, I spoke to soon. Just saw that you posted a link to the actual venue :) Forget what I said. This gazebo is MUCH more light friendly ;) I'd shoot it as normal as I shoot other ones. And if there are some clouds in the skies, you should be even more fine :D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    I have an interest in this post because I have a beach wedding coming up and there ain't no shade no wheres, no how.

I looked at the venue posted here and have to say they don't have any stellar photos of the venue or of weddings taking place there. Also neither of the two photographers the venue is recommending have any images on their site using the
    venue.

Also if this venue would consider putting a white (diffuser type) of material over the gazebo that would really help with the photography. Another idea would be to install some lighting in the roof of the gazebo, it would make balancing the wedding and the outside / guests much easier and yield some great photos.

Photography is obviously something only an upscale creative wedding venue would think of.

As for my plans......I plan on looking for the best angles, shoot close and / or burn up a load of batteries with high speed sync.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I have an interest in this post because I have a beach wedding coming up and there ain't no shade no wheres, no how.

I looked at the venue posted here and have to say they don't have any stellar photos of the venue or of weddings taking place there. Also neither of the two photographers the venue is recommending have any images on their site using the
    venue.

Also if this venue would consider putting a white (diffuser type) of material over the gazebo that would really help with the photography. Another idea would be to install some lighting in the roof of the gazebo, it would make balancing the wedding and the outside / guests much easier and yield some great photos.

Photography is obviously something only an upscale creative wedding venue would think of.

As for my plans......I plan on looking for the best angles, shoot close and / or burn up a load of batteries with high speed sync.

Sam
    Remember that blowing out the background can OFTEN be a much better end result over fill flash or other lighting alternatives. It might not be the best TECHNICAL approach, but it can often look more appealing. Not always, just be open to it is all ;)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    bnlearle wrote: »
    Remember that blowing out the background can OFTEN be a much better end result over fill flash or other lighting alternatives. It might not be the best TECHNICAL approach, but it can often look more appealing. Not always, just be open to it is all ;)

I am open to it and will give it a try.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Ahhhh Thanks so much for the tips/advice. I'll do the best I can, and I'll update you with images from the wedding- It's in a week or so- and it's for a friend.. So she'll understand. :)

Oh and the opening at the top of the gazebo- it has some white cloth so that full sun does not come through. So Im hoping that it wont be a total nightmare.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    if she is a friend ,
    why dont ask her to come to the location for some test-shots

[ she 'll understand ]
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Don't' be afraid of fill flash...just don't use it during the ceremony. The idea is to add just enough light to the image so as to look natural. Take a couple of test shots...find your flash sweet spot and go from there. You might want to turn it down a stop or two as a starting point and adjust as necessary...it just depends on the ambient lighting.

If you want to do it right, shoot manual...expose for the back ground, then stop your lens down a couple of stops,..focus on your subject...and fill flash. You'll have your background exposed, and the couple should also be adequately exposed...especially with today's i TTL and e TTL flash systems. This also avoids evenly lighting the subject and background which produces a flat looking image. But, manual is time consuming...and if you aren't really sharp with this technique...and used to constantly moving your fingers and changing settings...it's not something you want to take to a wedding.

I shoot bike rides...summer sun, early morning until late in the after noon...I fill flash and never have a problem. Oh sure, you'll get some you won't like, or that have to be worked in PS...but you won't suffer from gray face...raccoon eyes...and other weird anomalies. And, I can guarantee you that if you subjects back is to the sun and you don't light their face with a flash...you're not going to like that...because the face will be in shadow. And, fill flash can produce some awesome images.

I'm certainly not against shooting in natural light...love it...when it's working...but if it's not...then it's up to you to make the light work, or make light...isn't that what they hire us for...

At least have your flash on your camera...turn it off if you don't want to use fill...but if you need it, it's there.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    John HendryJohn Hendry Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Some great tips and thoughts here. I use fill flash quite a lot too and it really helps when shooting against bright backgrounds when you want to keep it lit.