My First Ever Star Shot

QuoddyQuoddy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 11, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Shot this photo of the Milky Way on September 6th, 2013 on a remote road outside of Milbridge, Maine. New moon and cloudless sky this night. Taken with a Fuji X100s using ISO 3200, F2.8, for 25 seconds. Tripod was a RRS TVC24L and BH-40LR head.

DSCF0340-L.jpg

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2013
    I am always amazed that you can actually see the Milky Way. I saw it for the first time a few years ago. Until then I thought it was a Greek myth of some sort!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 10, 2013
    Well done!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    That's a good capture of the detail of the detail in the Milky way. It looks like your white balance is off though, it's way too brown (if you are going for a faithful capture).
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • QuoddyQuoddy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    kolibri wrote: »
    That's a good capture of the detail of the detail in the Milky way. It looks like your white balance is off though, it's way too brown (if you are going for a faithful capture).

Yes, I entirely agree. I decided not to do manipulation on the shot and skipped Efex Pro 2 and LR4 completely. I did use 2 clicks of iPhoto lightening and a click or two of increased contrast.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    kolibri wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif In addition, some of the most successful compositions of this nature include terrestrial elements as anchors - trees, boulders, water, etc. - it helps to give scale and perspective.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    Quoddy wrote: »
    Yes, I entirely agree. I decided not to do manipulation on the shot and skipped Efex Pro 2 and LR4 completely. I did use 2 clicks of iPhoto lightening and a click or two of increased contrast.

Well, if you shot raw and that's the result with the auto-white balance, then it should be a fairly easy fix, especially outside a little town in Maine that doesn't (presumably) have an excessive amount of light pollution.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.