Options

THIS! Breaks my heart

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited June 20, 2016 in Wildlife
As a hunter and wildlife photographer one often sees nature at its best and worst but when you witness something like this if you love nature it hits where it hurts.
Yesterday morning I noticed a bear making its way from my meadow area toward our house. Although it's not odd to see a bear around here this one was not moving as it should. As it got closer and I saw it in the camera lens it was easy to see it was injured badly. It would take a step then stand for a bit and when it moved the right rear foot was dragging behind it. Not sure if it was hit by a car or hurt by another bear.
One thing I am sure of is it had to be the biggest black bear I have ever seen alive or dead.

I notified the local Game Protector about this and we now have a bear trap set out and hopefully it will be caught so it can be put out of its misery. Here are some photos judge its pain for yourself.

Spinner

Bear_zpsowuwep5b.jpg

Bear-in-pain_zpsvsk8abo9.jpg

Bear-in-pain-2_zps4cmlpphr.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2016
    Nice post! Lovely creature! Not sure how relaxed I would be if bears passed through my meadow frequently.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice post! Lovely creature! Not sure how relaxed I would be if bears passed through my meadow frequently.

We don't feed them and give them the wide birth they desire so we get along pretty good. Part of living back in the "boonies" as I do. I like to say were so far back in that we have a possum for a house cat. rolleyes1.gif

Spinner
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2016
    Hahahaha!
  • Options
    AndrewWAndrewW Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2016
    It's got quite the silky smooth fur coat, and big too! It's a bummer when wildlife conflict with humans, if that's what happened. It seems to make the paper around here quite often this time of year.
    -- Andrew -- | Instagram | Photo Gallery
  • Options
    SpenceSpence Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2016
    Nice shot Spinner and agree that it is sad to see. If you do 'capture' it any chance of repairing the injury or am I just dreaming?
    Spence

http://spencerrice.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2016
    Thus far the trap did produce one bear but not the one we were hoping for. Based on the info I received from the WCO more than likely the bear also has internal injuries and with the hip or leg injury he will have to be euthanized. Sad but a fact of life.

I'll update if any more info becomes available.

Spinner
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2016
    Beautiful Black Bear. Sad to hear it's hurt. I'm a hunter, too, but it's terrible to see any animal suffer! Keep us posted if you hear any more details.

Take care,