Options

Post Dogs Of Summer/August

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 9, 2005 in Wildlife
30983774-L.jpg

My dogs need attention................ I know 4 labs and his dogs have been enjoying the summer, while I have spent my summer mostly with birds.

Here are some shots from yesterday morning. I hope you all add to the thread. I am going to as I work up shots. That is time consuming. The above shot is my favorite so far of the Corgis, Skye and Merry Chapel, from yesteray, August 4, 2005.

Remember my Yorkie Katie, I killed her and brought her back to life. She was actually afraid to go with me yesterday, so she must have some memory. Yet, I have never seen her so active and happy as she is in the next shot. I have two good ones of her.

30983281-L.jpg

I really do need to trim her hair, but in the next shot with the sun off of it, it might be considered an asset. IMO

30983274-L.jpg

The Corgis might be considered the terrors of the beach, as they like to "herd" other dogs, big ones in particular. Originally they were bred to herd cattle, and it shows. I could control them better, but my instincts as a photographer, well, I just want the photo first. They never hurt anyone/thing, that is not their goal. In the next photo, it looks like they have met their match.

30983779-L.jpg

Turtle Nest: you can't see it, but it is marked. I have read of the "turtle ladies", particularly the ones on this island and the next one over. They mark the nests, make sure that they have done everything to make sure the baby turtles can hatch and get to the ocean safely. I was surprised to see "fiction" come alive in this marked area when I got to the beach.

30983267-L.jpg

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    clap.gifclapclap.gif But alas, I have no dogs to shoot so I can't add to this one. :cry

James.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Nice series Ginger. It's always fun to take pictures of dogs in action.
    Your Corgis sure look happy in the water, I sure would be. I don't have a dog but a lot of my friends do, I'll see what I can come up with.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Ginger these are really great! Thnxs for sharing. I say ditch the birds and spend more time photographing your beautiful animals.(not that your bird shots aren't great too)
    30416139-M.jpg

Hard to say if Charlie is enjoying the summer he always looks sad.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Thank you, James and gluwater.

If you don't have a dog, perhaps a cat, people seem to have pet frogs, whatever. A summer pet.............

My dogs were more settled last night than they have been in a long time. I think it was the time outside running and the time with me.

ginger (Thanks for looking, commenting, and anything you can drag up is fine: a stuffed animal ...............):D
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Thanks 4 labs!

I think Charlie is happy, or as happy as he can be in the "dog" days of summer.
    Lucky them, you put in a pool for their happiness.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for commenting and adding. I love that photo of Charlie. Kind of different than your other dog photos. Of course, then, that is Charlie. You just "caught" him on your d film.:D

ginger
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Dogs, Birds, Dragons, B-Fly's !! I say it's all good clap.gif
    and these are no exceptions.
    I have but one complaint
    umph.gif stupid California (well at least L. A. County) law won't let me take my crew and play at the beach :nono someones needs to be :whip and then :gun2

Anywho these are great G thumb.gif:D
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Dogs, Birds, Dragons, B-Fly's !! I say it's all good clap.gif
    and these are no exceptions.
    I have but one complaint
    umph.gif stupid California (well at least L. A. County) law won't let me take my crew and play at the beach :nono someones needs to be :whip and then :gun2

Anywho these are great G thumb.gif:D
    Maybe this will help you out Ben http://www.ecoanimal.com/dogfun/ca/index.html

By us in Chicago you have to buy a permit to go to the county run dog parks and beach :bs .
    Good Luck

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Sullivan's Island is the only beach where dogs can run free, and you have to be pretty savvy to know about it.

And, now, you have to pay $25.00 per dog for a license in order for them to set foot on that island. That was $75.00 for my three. And to get the license, the dogs have to prove rabies shots: couldn't get the cheap ones, as the timing was wrong. It cost me a bundle, basically, to get my dogs set to run on that beach.

And it is only between 5 AM and 10 AM. I am still waiting for someone to ask to see the license. It is the least they could do.

At the park, about 1/2 hr away, or less, depending on traffic, there is a nice area for them to run free. It is a county park, $1.00 per person admission. I have an annual pass, but my husband lost the car sticker so I have to pay more now to replace the sticker, or pay the $1.00 which is not much considering. It is a great park. Open til 8:00 PM, wonderful, on a lake, the dog part is. Huge, not crowded. But it is further away. So one is across town and the other is the beach, early AM. But it is more than we used to have. The danger is that we will lose the beach area. That keeps getting more and more restricted. The people who do not want dogs running seem to always prevail. Makes me furious. I have no say, I don't live on the islands.

There will be more and more dog parks as time goes by, in general. Some better than others. That is the trend in the USA. Maybe the world. Dogs have suddenly become big business. But the people who are moving to the beach in droves, they are upscale and will try to keep the dogs off there, and I think, in general, they will prevail there.

ginger, smile.
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Australian Summer
    We are in winter now, I'll try to post a summer-dog. These are two of my dogs on Seaford Beach near Melbourne. First time either of them had seen a beach, they were a bit unsure of this wet stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Yeay it Worked!!!
    Being my first upload, I was a bit nervous. Ginger it is a joy to see more of your Katie after her near miss, she looks full of the joy of life too.

Piper is a rotti or a rottweiler mix, and Rheneas is possibly a Pom and Border Collie mix. Both rescue dogs so we'll never know. My other little guy is Frodo, also a rescue dog, probably a poodle-terrier-cavalier king charles mix but we are open to suggestions. Piper and Rheneas just swan about, but Frodo is a sports dog, here he is at a Flyball competition.

Fourlabs your dogs are the greatest, they are so photogenic it's not fair.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Great pic PossumCorner thumb.gif

All you need to do is add a cape and you have "Super Frodo"rolleyes1.gif

I liked the other shots of your dogs on your site also. Keep up the good posts!

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    hichuzhichuz Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Well, Ginger... looks like you started something now. Enjoyed your dog photos and the interesting story... same goes for 4Labs "Charlie" and PossumCorner's Flyball Frodo. Thought I'd offer-up by post. This is Sadie, a West Highland Terror and my photo buddy. She goes with me on all my safaris, more often than not, screws up my bird shots because chasing birds is her passion. Anyway, couldn't resist the entry... she is truly a furry delight. This photo is one (of hundreds) of my favorites.

30271846-L.jpg

iloveyou.gif
    RC :thumb
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    hichuz wrote:
    Well, Ginger... looks like you started something now. Enjoyed your dog photos and the interesting story... same goes for 4Labs "Charlie" and PossumCorner's Flyball Frodo. Thought I'd offer-up by post. This is Sadie, a West Highland Terror and my photo buddy. She goes with me on all my safaris, more often than not, screws up my bird shots because chasing birds is her passion. Anyway, couldn't resist the entry... she is truly a furry delight. This photo is one (of hundreds) of my favorites.

iloveyou.gif
    Wow, Great shot, love the low perspective, I have had plenty of fireant bites from trying to get shots like that. umph.gif

James.
  • Options
    hichuzhichuz Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words! This is the benefit of owning a Nikon 995... the head swivals and you can simply put it on the ground and turn the head accordingly. It's one of the best cameras I've ever owned. Also, no fireants in Oregon, bijillions of termites though.
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Wow, Great shot, love the low perspective, I have had plenty of fireant bites from trying to get shots like that. umph.gif

James.
    RC :thumb
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Hichuz that is a wonderful shot. Thnxs for sharingclap.gif
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Nice dog shots here, we can't seem to get a good shot of our daughters dog, everytime she sees the camera she bolts, weird. She has the most beautiful cow like brown eyes and long eye lashes. :D:D:D:D

Tim
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Possum Corner, love that agility shot!

That is a gorgeous dog! A movie type mix!

Thanks for remembering Katie,

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Hichuz, I have seen Sadie before, would recognize that wonderful grooming anywhere!

That is a gorgeous photo of her with the flowers and all. As someone pointed out, it is a great perspective.

ginger, love it!
  • Options
    alterastroalterastro Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2005
    Not that my two Goldies like to get into trouble.... but,

31161340-M.jpg

Yes, that is a very mucky mudhole they've just come out of... and,

31161339-M-1.jpg

Such a pretty girl with flowers in her hair!

rolleyes1.gif Nick
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    Muddy boots.
    Magic. Synchronised shaking. Is this a dog-sport I haven't heard about?
  • Options
    greggaegreggae Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Lucy....aka..Miss Lucy...Lucy in the Sky.....Lucille....officially Bluegrass Diamond Lucille......waiting for a Frisbee throw with her buddy Zig out of the picture.

31205862-M-2.jpg

And her buddy.....big bro'........Zig.......aka....Ziggy.....Zigmon.........officially Bluegrass Zigmon Void

31207553-M.jpg
    Out there where the buses don't run
  • Options
    benbobenbo Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Its easy to make picture, its more difficult to make good picture.
    Manfrotto 390
    Lowerpro Orion trecker II
  • Options
    AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    morning orchard walk..Aug 09/05..Ventura county.. CA
    Hunter is glad the walk is over...
    Yiikes, it's to darn hot man!
    He says, it is definately time to head back to the couch!

211stmpdrszd.jpg
  • Options
    ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    China was tired after chasing my niece in the neighbors back yard. She and the rest of her shih-zu family enjoy company, especially kids. They like to lick my camera as well and they don't sit still for very long. I got lucky with this shot. Enjoy!!
    -t
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    I meet this lovley elderly lady early this year at a race, she is the most friendly soul you would ever want to meet, as long as you keep petting her. When you walk away she starts barking. Her owner races on the karting series' that I am shooting pics for and she is a paddock doll. She just can't stand to be alone, you may remember that I posted shots of her from march on here, these two are from this weekend's race in Savannah, Ga.

31467406-M-1.jpg

31467649-M-1.jpg

James.