Eagle River, AK Bear Paw Festival Parade (2 images)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 21, 2006 in People
Eagle River, AK holds the "Eagle River Bear Paw Festival" each year. It starts with a parade down the main street of the town and includes a carnival, the usual food and vendor booths, and a lot of good, home-town, fun.

The day was heavily overcast and more than just a little damp and gloomy. It had rained all the previous day and most of the night. In fact, it stopped raining about 30 minutes before the start of the parade, causing the kids from the two local High Schools (and not just a few parents as well) to worry about the condition of the floats - all the crepe paper, doncha know.

So, we had all sorts of people in the parade. A couple of the more interesting:

This lady was walking past. I was set up to take the shot and I asked her if I could. She struck this pose:
82679758-M.jpg

This lady was just in a good mood. I got off three shots as she was approaching. This one had the best facial expression.
82679759-M.jpg

The rest of the photos from the parade, should anyone be interested, can be seen here.

Comments

• Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Very colourful. I think I'd like to see the second photo cropped as a head and shoulders portrait thus emphasising the facial expression. Both photos are closer to full body shots and yet both cut part or all of her hands, this is very obvious in the first shot where the missing hand seems to be part of the "pose".
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Very colourful. I think I'd like to see the second photo cropped as a head and shoulders portrait thus emphasising the facial expression. Both photos are closer to full body shots and yet both cut part or all of her hands, this is very obvious in the first shot where the missing hand seems to be part of the "pose".
    Yeah, I think you're right on both counts. I'll try to work something up later in the day and see what I come up with and post them.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    I have some family in Eagle River. Was up there a number of years ago at this time. We went downtown for a parade, then over to a city park where there was a renaissance fair going on, with carinival rides, blacksmithing, jousting, chorale groups singing stories, etc.

Is this the same event?
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • tomthephotographertomthephotographer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Hey wait a second, I know Todd.... He pokes me from time to time.... Laughing.gif Small world.
    Canon 40D. Lens Sigma 170-500, Tamron 75-300, Quantaray 19-35,
    Bogan Tripod. Gaint Yukon 25' Bike,

Like it or not we most often get what we deserve in the end.
    edited July 21, 2006
    I have some family in Eagle River. Was up there a number of years ago at this time. We went downtown for a parade, then over to a city park where there was a renaissance fair going on, with carinival rides, blacksmithing, jousting, chorale groups singing stories, etc.

Is this the same event?
    I have it on good authority (my sister-in-law) that there is only one parade event in Eagle River and this is it. They had all the above this year, but there were limited photo ops.
    edited July 21, 2006
    Hey wait a second, I know Todd.... He pokes me from time to time.... Laughing.gif Small world.
    The odds are very good that you do, indeed, know him. It is a smal world.