Shooting Track and Field

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited April 23, 2006 in Technique
I'm shooting my daughter's meet tomorrow. Planning on using my 70-200 f4L, keeping the aperture around 5.6, mebbe? Shutter speeds up over 500th, and the ISO wherever I need to be to get that.

How about focus? Servo? Shooting with a 20D, BTW.

Sound good? Anyone with experience have any better ideas? Anyone with no experience shooting track want to chime in?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Either prefocus or AI Servo.

Have you studied what kinds of shots you want to get? What events is she in? What kind of access will you have? Your choice of aperature will, to some extent, be dictated by your distance from your subject, no? (If you want bokeh) And of course, if you want motion blur you might want to experiment a bit with shutter speed once you get there - so much of that is dependant upon your distance/their speed etc.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm shooting my daughter's meet tomorrow. Planning on using my 70-200 f4L, keeping the aperture around 5.6, mebbe? Shutter speeds up over 500th, and the ISO wherever I need to be to get that.

How about focus? Servo? Shooting with a 20D, BTW.

Sound good? Anyone with experience have any better ideas? Anyone with no experience shooting track want to chime in?

are you shooting the youth track and field championships in newport beach
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Tmosley wrote:
    are you shooting the youth track and field championships in newport beach

Thousand Oaks.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thousand Oaks.

im glad you asked your question, because im shooting the one in newport today for coastal news, and needed some tips
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Either prefocus or AI Servo.
    AI-Servo. But I've had enough experience with a 20D and heard from enough others that the camera has the worst issue with movement directly towards it. Shoot slightly profile, or try to not half-shutter-track the runners and exepct the AF to keep up. f/5.6 should help any AF errors by extending your depth of field.
    And of course, if you want motion blur you might want to experiment a bit with shutter speed once you get there - so much of that is dependant upon your distance/their speed etc.
    Motion blur and stick-and-ball sports is usually disastrous. IMHO motion blur only works with motorsports. I'd try to get shutter speeds as high as possible.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    If it was me i would up that shutter to 1/1000 - 1/1500. Just something i noticed with shooting surfers & those downhill bikes. The runners are not moving as fast maybe but limbs are. I shot those bikes at pretty well all f4.5. I use AI servo all the time.
    edited April 21, 2006
    Thanks, all! Hopefully I'll have something worth posting.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Motion blur and stick-and-ball sports is usually disastrous. IMHO motion blur only works with motorsports. I'd try to get shutter speeds as high as possible.
    Track and field. deal.gif

5299080-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 23, 2006
    Shots are posted in this thread. I'd love some feedback.
    Moderator Emeritus