Shooting with Andy

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited September 24, 2005 in People
36921707-L.jpg

Well, I got the better of him (or he got the better of me.) I mean he took a better picture of me than any I got of him and so I walked away with a picture of myself that I actually like, something pretty rare.

36921824-L.jpg

I took his advice and watched the photograper and did learn a thing or three. he first thing he did was make me take off my zoom and put on my 24mm f/1.4. So now I was shooting indoors with a razor thin DOF. How he uses this is probably my favorite thing about Andy's recent work, and I watched how carefully he sets up his shots to make this work. I'm always shooting pretty quickly because I'm sure the moment will pass. Andy takes his time to get what he wants. He made me wait for him on the stairs. I'm assuming that was manual focus.

Andy took me to two of his favorite midtown haunts, the NY Public Library and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

36921561-L.jpg

One thing he does all the time which I have only started to do is look for different shooting angles.

36866118-L.jpg

He sure is a lot better at using that shallow DOF than I am.

36921868-L.jpg

I noticed he doesn't use that vertical shutter very much...
If not now, when?

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2005
    I agree
    Without even knowing you that that's a great photo of you that Andy took! Andy's not the easiest model is he? For someone we've seen so many photos of in person he seems almost camera shy rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I was quite pleased with two that I managed to get of him :):

If you really want to see them here's the link Andy in SF
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    Although you seem to downplay your efforts, it's nice to see Andy-at-Work. And I really like the one where he bends to the right to take the picture. A nice view on your subject and his surroundings.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    That is true. Except for the two close ups, the shots of Andy are quite good. They round him out as a person, IMO.

On the close ups, I would try to stay away from shots of people from the side.

Let me see, when I was 55, I discovered that was the worst possible angle from which Anyone could possibly take my photo. (Wait til Andy gets older, haha, he will get jowls, unless the face lift) But it is not as flattering, except I have seen some in ab perfect lighting, but as a general thing, if it is an adult, all imperfections show up from the side.

My husband, the person who makes his living by photography, he still does this, takes photos of me from the side. And if I looked bad there 10 yrs ago, it has only gotten worse. Trash them all! And weep, I do!

Andy got a photo of you, well, hate to say it could have been anyone, but he did so much correctly, he was almost guaranteed a good photo. And having that guy walk to the stairs, that was genius on his part, smile. No, he probably sensed somewhere that that was happening.

You were looking up, (good for everyone), towards him. He was higher, he had those stairs. In fact, I would remember, and you know I don't, but many portrait photographers use doors, now I will remember stairs as being advantageous to show......................... movement, purpose, intent, yet be flattering.

OK, that is my analysis for the day. On the other shots, and I would guess you were more relaxed (and Andy is more experienced), but when you relaxed you got some really good shots of Andy.

And speaking of shooting angles, hahahaha, the first time I went shooting with Bill, he kept lying on the ground. I kept asking what the H, h was doing. Bill does not communicate, if he did, we would still be shooting together I am sure, but I am super competitive, and also very inquisitive. Then we didn't have digital, but I was always happy to say what I was doing. Bill would say, "you will see when the photos come back". That would not help me at all. (I do like to learn, constantly!)

I have since read books, enough, that for instance, I will lie on the floor for some flowers. Some stuff. Just think how often Andy has been in that library. The first time he went in, he might have wanted to shoot it straight, but by now he has all of those shots, the only thing he can do is try angles, smile.

Hey, you know a good practice would be to take one place, small, and have to shoot like 500 photos of it. After the first 100, we would be after angles, too.

Have I talked too much? Just want to add one thing. I read somewhere about a still photographer who travels, he said that he always gets somewhere either a day, or a week, early, to get the obvious shots out of his system. That only then can he begin to get the good shots for which he is famous (and I have not remembered who he is, but I have never forgotten that) Shoot til you drop and shoot some more. (then there is the other theory of set it up and just get the one perfect shot, the rest is all a waste:) I say whatever works, I like to shoot til I drop and I do need more memory, except I am shooting a bit less now on certain things.

I wonder if Andy made you wait on the stairs, for all the other reasons, plus he might have been waiting for that guy in the blue shirt to show up. My problem is that I would see the guy in the blue shirt as ruining my photo, wait til he passed and gotten just an OK shot. I could kick myself for that. I don't know how to make myself recognize those unexpected, or hoped for, opportunities. Except think of the practice Andy has had. I will never forget that shot of you on the stairs, and I will always, given a similar opportunity be waiting for the other guy, and I will always shoot both NOW, but I miss so much!

How was St Pats, other than the candles?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:

On the close ups, I would try to stay away from shots of people from the side.

and what about rear-end shots? that's not my good side, either lol3.gif though some say it's my best rolleyes1.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I wonder if Andy made you wait on the stairs, for all the other reasons, plus he might have been waiting for that guy in the blue shirt to show up.

i did make him wait, for about 10 seconds. and the first shot he didn't give it to me, so i had to tell him, "right here, rutt" :D i also timed it for the person at the bottom of the stairs...

cheers ginger

and rutt: it was a fun day, thanks for the piccies!
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    Lets see the pictures you were taking from those angles, Andy! :)
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    Ditto Owen!
    Owen wrote:
    Lets see the pictures you were taking from those angles, Andy! :)
    I'm curious as to what all that bending and such got threw the lens!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
    edited September 22, 2005
    I never did see the photos my husband took with all of his contortions. EVER!

Yes, it would be interesting to get a peek at what you were after, Andy.

ginger
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    The secret to great photography.
    andy wrote:
    ...i did make him wait, for about 10 seconds. and the first shot he didn't give it to me, so i had to tell him, "right here, rutt" :D i also timed it for the person at the bottom of the stairs...
    That's it in a nutshell folks, why Andy takes such great images. He doesn't just take images; he "makes" images. If it isn't just right, he makes a difference to make it just right. He waits or he adjusts; he creates the image.

I truly believe that if you took away all of Andy's fancy equipment, he could probably make a living shooting with a Diana film camera. It's not the equipment that limits the art, it's the operator/photographer that makes the art, understanding the qualities and capabilities of the equipment ( and setting and lighting and...).

There are others in these forums who do similar. (I'm just pickin' on Andy :): )

I am so envious of their work and capabilities.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    rutt wrote:
    36921824-L.jpg

Nice framing Rutt! (ziggy comment)
    36921561-L.jpg

Good timing and composition. z
    36866118-L.jpg

Wonderful leading lines and composition. z
    Thanks Rutt, great series.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    Hummmmm
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, it would be interesting to get a peek at what you were after, Andy.

ginger
    Gezzzzzz I dunno Ginger......Andy isn't saying a word.headscratch.gif

Maybe it's Top Secret? ne_nau.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Gezzzzzz I dunno Ginger......Andy isn't saying a word.headscratch.gif

Maybe it's Top Secret? ne_nau.gif

Look at my shot. See that great painting on the ceiling. I took some shots of it, but they weren't any good. I'll bet he was looking at that.

It's a very beautiful building.
    If not now, when?
    You know, I never saw any of my husband's shots, either. The ones we took together where he would only say that I would see. I never did.

I did see the CF cards where he used my old digital camera, they were not half bad, pretty good really from what I remember.

ginger