Hawaii - March 2011 (long)

elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited May 6, 2011 in Journeys
Prior to a couple months ago the last time I was in Hawaii was either 1983 or 84 depending on whether or not the labeling on the slides I found in my parents garage is correct. I'll just say up front that there's no way it will be another 25 years before a return trip!

We flew into Kauai, when we left Seattle it was 33 and threating snow, upon arrival in Kauai it was 68 with a nice breeze. Winning!

Our flight had arrived around 10:00 PM so after navigating down to the south shore we crashed out pretty quickly and in the morning woke up to this:

1201670898_WUwsg-M.jpg

I know, awful right? Since we were up we walked up the road to a place called Joes on the Green for some breakfast. It's not to surprisingly right on the edge of a golf course and they've got a great Loco Moco, and my wife had some mac nut pancakes with coconut syrup. While we were eating the local residents hung out waiting for an opportunity to share our breakfast:

1201672337_4ZZtj-M.jpg

After breakfast we wandered back towards Poipu to check out the scenery:

1201676817_kGs2c-M.jpg
1201675722_pCuGN-M.jpg

Then we headed off to do some shopping for breakfast and lunch type stuff for the next few days. Later we met a friend down at the beach for Mai Tai's and had to tolerate this view:

1203181665_VyxuJ-M.jpg

The next morning we were up bright and early for a day long kayaking, hiking, zip lining trip which was all happening at the Kipu Ranch which has been the home to many notable movies including Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park. No dinosaurs were spotted, but we did stop at the rope swing from the opening of Raiders which was sadly broken denying me my chance to swing into the river and escape in a sea plane :wink

Here we are kayaking up the river:

1206755687_kHFVk-M.jpg

And a couple shots from the hike up to the zip line course:

1203191562_Ky7is-M.jpg
1203183758_fAVMM-M.jpg

Then for the main event, we got trussed up in harnesses and what not and then hit the wire so to speak. We did a shorter 800 foot zip line and then moved onto the monster sized 1800' zip which is actually a parallel setup so we both went at the same timed. This presented me the first chance I'd had to try shooting some video on my spanking new D7000, and yes I did have it in a death grip :)

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1212171707_WGu2u?width=425&height=240"></iframe&gt;

In retrospect I wish I would have shot this in 720p at the higher frame rate but I was pretty happy with the result there none the less.

The next day we did a downhill bike tour from the top of Waimea Canyon back down to the town, this was a great ride on what turned out to be the last sunny day during our time on Kauai.

1204386255_Z9ApD-M.jpg

I'll give a quick shout out to Outfitters Kauai, who we booked both tours with. The guides were all great, things were well organized we just had a great time on both trips.

After the bike ride I went and did some snorkeling as the cloudy weather rolled in.

Glad to have it, but even more glad that I didn't need it!
1205192020_drw6U-M.jpg

There was pretty sparse sea life around Poipu, but I did run into this guy:

1206757494_fcWGt-M.jpg

Sadly that was the end of our time in Kauai, but before you start feeling any sympathetic we still had four more days on the big island in Kona. My wife has family there who put us up in their extra condo (usually a rental) and we got right back into the life of leisure.

First off there was a big seal that decided to show up on the beach behind their building which is apparently an annual occurrence though they don't know if it's the same seal or not.

1209736092_it2dd-M.jpg

With all that excitement out of the way we headed up the coast to check out some of the other fancy hotels up past the airport. On the way back we caught a high-speed sunset:

1209737023_kqQcc-M.jpg

The next morning we set off to go to the volcanoes but got side tracked with a nearly empty parking lot at the black sand beach and decided to take advantage of it.

1209741703_3HwPQ-M-1.jpg

1209740485_HoRkk-M.jpg

There's an interesting pond and a couple burnt out buildings behind the beach

1209741230_chuiP-M.jpg

Leaving the beach we stopped at the Punalu'u bakery for a quick snack, where once again the local scavengers were waiting for a handout:

1209741520_xcbBt-M.jpg

Our last full day in Kona we decided to take a snorkeling trip up to Kealakekua Bay where the Captain Cook monument is. Trivia: Did you know that the 20x20 plot of land the monument sits on is actually British Soil? True story, it was deeded to the British Government) Anyhow the bay there is beautiful both above and below the water:

1209738649_x24j2-M.jpg

1206757906_TCdDd-M.jpg

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="320" height="240" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1212172790_PYiNZ?width=320&height=240"></iframe&gt;

Note that the blurry effect in the video is due to the fresh water springs that flow up through the lava rock and mix with the sea water.

Wrapping up the night and the vacation was the quintessential Hawiian tourist activity, the Luau. Crowded, bad Mai Tai's but good pork and entertainment to wrap up our last night on the island.

1209740488_DaE89-M.jpg

Aloha Hawaii, lets see each other again soon okay?