Normandy France

JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
edited September 18, 2007 in Journeys
We're back from 2 weeks of camping in Normandy.

Here's a few things I found out these 2 weeks.

1 A rented Fiat Panda drives better as it seems at first sight. The luggage room is just as small as it seems at first sight. Our new tent is huge. You could park a Fiat Panda in it and you would still have space for a game of squash.

IMG_6163.jpg

2 At Normandic (Normandian? Normaniac?) campings the light turns off at 23h00. I'm glad it was a full moon.

IMG_6144.jpg

3 Bayeux is a very nice city.

William the Conquerer was a Norman. A Frenchman. The Brittish royal family is originally French... How, why and say what? is all on the Bayeux tapistery, dating back from 1066.

It is possible to use a knee as a tripod. You have to sit very still though.

IMG_6180.jpg

4 Omaha Beach Cemetery is very much worth visiting, but it's not a very cheerfull sight.

IMG_6205.jpg

5 Château de Balleroy was the posh castle of the late Malcom Forbes, publisher and balloon pilot. Next to the castle, in the attic of the old stables, is a "ballooning museum" filled with cheers and glory from times that have long gone by. I love that kind of sad stuff.

IMG_6218.jpg

6 Le Mont St Michel is gorgeous. Reminded me of the Dutch island of Marken. But higher and filled with the rest of the Japanese popullation.

IMG_6254.jpg

7 There really are flamingoes in France... In the South of France, in the Camarque. Not in Brittany. I swear I saw one fly by in the distance. Any birdwatcher on the forum that can help me out here?

IMG_6270.jpg

8 If even 14 year old girls dare to jump bungee, I see no reason to prove my masculinity by following them. No reason at all.

IMG_623798.jpg

9 At Le Pont de Normandy is a 2 star restaurant where they sell very small and very expensive cups of coffee. The toilets are as disgusting as any other highway restaurant's.

IMG_6338.jpg

10 At the camping at Château de Bertangles nothing changed over the past 3 years. Small, clean and quiet. And full of geriatrics in caravans and motor homes.

IMG_6355.jpg

Even together, in 2 sleeping bags, under a quilt, a plaid and a beach towel, 3 degrees Celsius is quite cold.

11 Amiens is a very nice city, just like it was 3 years ago.

IMG_6376.jpg

12 I couldn't help thinking that the French buy there drivers licenses with family discount at the local Champion supermarket. They drive like the devil is in the back seat. Not this little truck though :D

IMG_6382.jpg

13 It is easy to enjoy Brugge (Belgium) without seeing the city. Just sit outside drinking beer for the whole afternoon and go and eat mussels and fries after that.

IMG_6390.jpg

Comments