LBE / Lowepro harness

JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited August 17, 2016 in Accessories
Anybody have experience with something like the Lowepro Technical Harness?

I've been doing more nature stuff, and I've gone from an over the shoulder, which murdered my neck straight to death, to a backpack, which makes swapping gear a royal pain. I was thinking of buying an old LBE (that's Load Bearing Equipment) and rigging up my bags on that (sans grenades ........ maybe.) Since the price point isn't that much different, maybe the Lowepro harness is the way to go.

I'd like to be able to haul my camera and a small day pack. I can mule this stuff around pretty well if I have the proper setup. Anyway, thoughts? Personal reviews?
jonaswright.smugmug.com

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” ~ Dorothy Parker

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 17, 2016
    I like to haul stuff either:
    1) On my back, in a balanced load and with a waist belt to put most of the weight on my hips.

... or ...

2) Using a tech harness similar to the Lowepro harness.

... or ...

3) Using a belt system to put the weight on my hips.

... or ...

4) Some combination of the above. (I love options.)

1) The first solution works when I have a full load with lots of lenses and maybe a spare body, plus flash. For this I have 2 - types of "sling bags"; the Adorama Pro Slinger (sadly no longer available except used, but fairly common on the used market) and the Lowepro Slingshot 3xx AW series. With both of these the bag is a single strap "sling" design, allowing you to transition back to front quickly. Both also have a padded waist belt to put the weight mostly on your hips.

Both of the bags have their individual merit.
    The Pro Slinger keeps the contents level when you bring it around, and it's a top-loader with the top also a working shelf when flipped open, so you can put the bag down on wet ground and use both the bag insides and the shelf to organize stuff without the camera stuff getting wet. It uses a water-shed design and works pretty well in a light rain. Would not trust it alone in a heavy downpour with driving rain. (Just add a small rain cover for better protection.) This bag closes with 3 snap buckles and generally only 2 of the buckles need to be undone to get what you want. This design is a little faster and quieter (if you're careful) than a zipper solution. (Rick Sammon appears to have been consulted for this bag.)

There is still a "Slinger" version of the bag available, which has a little less interior space and does not fit larger dSLRs as well. Still the same sling method to bring it around for work and still a cushioned waist belt. The top has a bit less overhang, so a bit less rain resistant. This bag works pretty well with an APS-C camera and 2-3 lenses.

The Slingshot 3xx AW series has a built-in rain cover, sewn into a bottom compartment. Ostensibly this is a better wet solution, but only until it rips, when you still have to buy a rain cover for the bag. The Slingshot design rotates when you bring it around, presenting a short zipper segment to get to the side where the camera is best stored. 2 snap buckles secure the remainder of the zipper's travel to gain access to the rest of the bag.

2) A "tech harness" does nicely if you distribute the load evenly side to side, but if you put much on the front it really can cause back stress over a day. Plus the harness tends to move more, even with a sternum/lapel strap.
    My choice in this category is the OP/TECH USA Dual Harness. I generally use this as an event solution, and with 2 cameras attached. It can also work with a single camera on one side and a different holder on the other side. (The system is somewhat modular.) This harness is designed for hands-on the camera to keep the camera at ready for use and to stabilize the camera when you're walking/running. The neoprene upper construction and lightweight design makes this pretty easy to use all day if the loads are level. Augment this with a waist belt system and you can carry lots pretty easily.

I can see how the Lowepro S&F Technical Harness is much more stable, especially if you use the waist belt as they recommend, but I don't see how a camera attaches to be 'at the ready' without a separate strap just for the camera. Many good reviews so I may try it someday.

3) A padded belt system is very handy and puts the load directly on the hips (off your back). In this system I sometimes use 2 holster bags up front; one for the camera and lens and a second one for an additional lens. The holster design makes it easier to grab and store the spare lens because of the larger opening.
    Haven't tried it but the Cotton Carrier Endeavor Belt System looks interesting and might be adapted to a better belt system to keep the camera/lens at the ready.

4) As mentioned above, a combination harness and belt system would probably work really well for your mentioned needs.

To that end, the Lowepro S&F Technical Harness plus Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt with some attached bags* and a Cotton Carrier holster would probably be a good solution for nature applications, a single body with lens, plus day stuff.

If you need to take much more then a sling type backpack with padded belt along with a nice wide neoprene camera strap for the camera/lens works nicely in my experience.

* (Including the possibility of attaching any combination of a true day pack on the back plus traditional holster and/or lens/accessory bags.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums