Options

Airborne

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 14, 2015 in People
Had a little fun with this little soldier.

16791418072_e9199ac049_o.jpg

16585242497_ede2e726ae_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MarcRaymondMarcRaymond Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Nice job. Any parent serving in the military would love #1...bravo!!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    The Always-Consistent Bryce. You nail this style every.single.time.!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Nice photos...except..........in the first on the kid is wearing a maroon beret with a yellow patch and a Special Forces crest.

The yellow patch / beret flash would indicate the First Special Forces group, but the beret should be green, not maroon. :D

With Photoshop you have the technology..........................

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice photos...except..........in the first on the kid is wearing a maroon beret with a yellow patch and a Special Forces crest.

The yellow patch / beret flash would indicate the First Special Forces group, but the beret should be green, not maroon. :D

With Photoshop you have the technology..........................

Sam

I do believe that a soldier with special forces training that is assigned to an airborrn unit would wear the special forces training flash but on the maroon beret because of the unit he is with.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    Nice job. Any parent serving in the military would love #1...bravo!!

Thanks a bunch
    divamum wrote: »
    The Always-Consistent Bryce. You nail this style every.single.time.!!

Thanks for popping in Mum! Nice to hear from you.

Took these in Japan with borrowed equipment. Parents were most pleased.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    I do believe that a soldier with special forces training that is assigned to an airborrn unit would wear the special forces training flash but on the maroon beret because of the unit he is with.

I had friend that went into the Green Beret's back in the 70's, and he wore a maroon beret until he finished all of his training. I think back then, that's how you knew who was still in training.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015

The yellow beret flash would indicate the first special forces group. You can't get assigned to a group without first graduating from training. I have never heard of SF candidates wearing a maroon beret, and certainly wouldn't have a flash on the beret if still in training. Since the drop out / failure rate is pretty high graduation is only certain after the day you graduate.

If one were to leave Special Forces then they would cease to wear the green beret and group flash and crest.

This is a what a 6th Special Forces Group beret looks like. The 6th Special Forces group was closed in 1971.
    Beret%20%26%20Fatiques%20B_BAY-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    Gary752 wrote: »
    I had friend that went into the Green Beret's back in the 70's, and he wore a maroon beret until he finished all of his training. I think back then, that's how you knew who was still in training.

GaryB

As near as I can tell the Maroon beret has been designated for airborne units. I have never heard of a maroon beret being used in Special Forces groups or in training.

I think in 1973 to 1979 individual airborne unit commanders had the authority to allow the wearing a maroon beret. In 1979 the wearing of maroon berets was stopped. Then in 1980 it was official all airborne units could wear the maroon beret.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    Training was a poor choice of words on my part. Try this, a member of a special forces unit that is reassigned to an airborne unit, even temporarily, would wear the unit beret color of which he is assigned.

Them there is some old BDU's! Bet they still fit too.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    Training was a poor choice of words on my part. Try this, a member of a special forces unit that is reassigned to an airborne unit, even temporarily, would wear the unit beret color of which he is assigned.

Them there is some old BDU's! Bet they still fit too.

Fit...................only in my dreams. :D

If an SF guy was resigned to an airborne unit he would then wear the beret designated for the airborne unit. He would not have an SF group flash and the SF crest on the beret.

If he were on temp / assignment and still in the SF group then he would were the SF group flash / crest and green beret.

There ain't no mixing. :D

Sam

I should have asked this from the start: Where did you get the beret and crest from? Did the parent bring it? Is the parent in the military? Is there a new super secret SF tykes group?

It is still a great photo and you got the kids expression perfect!!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2015
    Fit...................only in my dreams. :D

If an SF guy was resigned to an airborne unit he would then wear the beret designated for the airborne unit. He would not have an SF group flash and the SF crest on the beret.

If he were on temp / assignment and still in the SF group then he would were the SF group flash / crest and green beret.

There ain't no mixing. :D

Sam

I should have asked this from the start: Where did you get the beret and crest from? Did the parent bring it? Is the parent in the military? Is there a new super secret SF tykes group?

It is still a great photo and you got the kids expression perfect!!

I am currently involved with a project at the same place the 1st SFG, 1st Battalion is located. This is the child of one of the members that I met during the course of my tour. That is him standing with the child and it is indeed his Beret. I explained it a bit backwards.

I asked him to expound on this for us today and his explanation is as follows:

He is airborne, but is assigned to the 1st SFG, 1st Battalion. As such, he wears the group and battalion flash and insignia with the maroon beret. He does not have the SF Tab on his uniform and is referred to as "b" team and/or support.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2015
    Whatever the color of the beret or the insignia shown ne_nau.gif , both portraits are great. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2015

Both are very special and well done. Props and arrangements are first class.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2015
    I am currently involved with a project at the same place the 1st SFG, 1st Battalion is located. This is the child of one of the members that I met during the course of my tour. That is him standing with the child and it is indeed his Beret. I explained it a bit backwards.

I asked him to expound on this for us today and his explanation is as follows:

He is airborne, but is assigned to the 1st SFG, 1st Battalion. As such, he wears the group and battalion flash and insignia with the maroon beret. He does not have the SF Tab on his uniform and is referred to as "b" team and/or support.

Thanks, I done learned something. I guess there is mixing and matching. Who knew?

Sam
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2015
    Despite all, one heck of a kick a×× shot.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2015
    I always said it was a great shot. Now that I understand it's technically correct it will stand the test of time and be a true family treasure.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Whatever the color of the beret or the insignia shown ne_nau.gif , both portraits are great. thumb.gif

Thanks a lot! Nice of you to comment.

Both are very special and well done. Props and arrangements are first class.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I picked a darn good time to be out of Michigan for a spell. Missed all the snow and cold.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Despite all, one heck of a kick a×× shot.

Thank you Charles.
    Thanks, I done learned something. I guess there is mixing and matching. Who knew?

Sam

It's all good. Although slow to do so, the Army does change the way it does things. Lot's of channels to go through.