Options

Beach Portrait with Kayla

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited April 16, 2015 in People
Trying something a bit different. I used what I think is a 8 stop ND filter on the xt-1/56 1.2 combo to get under the sync speed in bright sunset lighting for 1.2 aperture. For some I had to bump up ISO to 400. I used two YN-560 flashes with diffuser domes for off camera light.

p1088554623-5.jpg

p1088554743-5.jpg

p1088554687-5.jpg

p1088555082-5.jpg

p1088556061-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    #4 WINNER!!!!!!!!!!! Ava Gardner. Jane Russell. That is an AWESOME shot thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2015
    Thanks. I didn't set out to do a old Hollywood look but when I got home, the photos screamed to me old Hollywood. Kayla has a classic Hollywood look.
    divamum wrote: »
    #4 WINNER!!!!!!!!!!! Ava Gardner. Jane Russell. That is an AWESOME shot thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2015
    #4 is my fav, #5 is second behind it. I like the creativity of the shoot and the use of lighting, but honestly it seems unrealistic in the other photos. Too much lighting, if you will. Just my opinion, of course, and means nothing more than that. All great work :)
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2015
    #4 is my fav, #5 is second behind it. I like the creativity of the shoot and the use of lighting, but honestly it seems unrealistic in the other photos. Too much lighting, if you will. Just my opinion, of course, and means nothing more than that. All great work :)

Thanks, I understand it isn't up to everyone's taste but based on your comments I somewhat succeeded in what I was going for because I wasn't going for realistic.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2015
    As I said, it's fabulous work! I really dig the creativity of using 2 flashes, and having the one over on to your left. It's a cool setup, one with which I could actually use a little more practice :)
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2015
    gorgeous!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2015
    As I said, it's fabulous work! I really dig the creativity of using 2 flashes, and having the one over on to your left. It's a cool setup, one with which I could actually use a little more practice :)

Thanks, actually the two flashes were together so I could have more power and reduce cycle times by reducing the power of each one. The sun was the second light.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2015
    Fantastic set. I love the look and the feel. Looks like you have a nice combination filter/lighting wise. Course, I am into vintage.

The first thing I thought of when I looked at the image number one, was Raquel Welch in One-Million-Years B.C. For you youngsters and those not familiar with, This is a poster shot from the movie.

one-million-year-bc_l.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2015
    Thanks, just about every time I shoot with Kayla I get a vintage vibe from her so I just go with it.
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2015
    Great series and the vibe is there. Well done and I like the idea of the ND filter and the lights. I will have to try that. I have used HSS before but not the way you did it.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2015
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    Great series and the vibe is there. Well done and I like the idea of the ND filter and the lights. I will have to try that. I have used HSS before but not the way you did it.

Hope it works for you. I found using the ND filter with mirrorless is easy as I can set the LCD or EVF to preview mode so I can shoot normally and actually see the shot before I take it, minus the flash of course.

Fuji doesn't have HSS yet and is one of my complaints. However, using ND has it's benefits.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2015
    Great work John,
    A ND filter is a good approach to overcome the flash sync issue allowing to shoot at low F numbers while still remaining within the flashsync speed for the shutter.
    I also like 1 and 4 (great retro style).
    Here is a write-up on ND filters….here
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2015
    Good read on ND's. I just bought a ND filter kit that included 3 additional filters. Probably should have bought a variable filter for an all in one solution. I'll see how this goes.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2015
    Love 1....just right.
    Like 3 as well.
    She has a great look, you caught her well.
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2015
    I liked the #1, in 2 I do not like the half hidden iris.
    Alex