Stuck shooting wedding

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited April 6, 2009 in Weddings
While I am starting to try making a go at photography as a living I really have little to no interest in shooting weddings. Just too chaotic and stressful.

That being said looks like i will be shooting a wedding next month. Small informal wedding of a friend of my wife. Basically their entire wedding budget (including rings) is less than $2000 from what I heard. Makes for a simple tiny informal wedding. I am guessing the next best camera there will likely be a ~$100 P&S.

So background out of the way...

I am heading down there 2 days before wedding which will leave me the day before the wedding and the wedding day to get some shots done.

I am hoping to get some engagement session type of shots done the day before, I hope. Then cover the entire wedding day.

What I am asking for here are ideas. I will be heading to Columbia, MO for the first time for this so I hope they have ideas for locations. Most likely it will be a lot of informal snapshots during the day and hope to turn them into something nice.
That all being said. if there are people familiar with the area i would love suggestions. Likewise any general posing and whatever tips would be nice.

Expectation from me on this are nil. Like I said the wedding is happening and already planned without a photographer so any decent photos they should be thrilled with. Plus if I get lucky and have some really nice shots I will be able to make a little wedding portfolio :) I know getting way ahead of myself there.

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    If I were you...I'd try to get out of it. Sounds like nothing but a headache.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Gonna be there anyways. Might as well shoot for the fun of it.

You see I still shoot for fun :)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    If you can, get out of the deal. Like Blurmore says, this sounds like it could be a real headache and you've already indicated you don't deal with stress really well.

If that's not in the cards, I would:
    1. Get it in writing. Regardless of whether you are getting paid or not for this, get a contract together and get it signed. It doesn't have to be much, but you need to have spelled out what your client expects/wants and what you anticipate being able to deliver and at what cost. Are you going to deliver a disk? Are you going to deliver prints? You also need to spell out what you are going to do, if anything, should the whole thing go Tango-Uniform.
    2. You have some really nice glass (the 70-200 f/2.8L IS - great isn't it). If the wedding is going to be indoors, the rest of your kit may prove to be a bit slow. May I suggest you rent something like the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS?
    3. Take a look at the stickies in this forum. I'm not biased or anything, but I would pay particular attention to some of the points I mention in my "Thoughts on photographing a wedding" (see link in my siggy).
    4. If you don't have them now, get lots of memory. Shooting RAW will eat memory in a hurry and you really don't want to have to re-use a memory card during the wedding day - even if you have a laptop there onto which you could backup the cards. Use a card once and only once on the wedding day - believe me, it'll pay off in the long run!.
    5. Have fun!
    Toshido wrote:
    What I am asking for here are ideas. I will be heading to Columbia, MO for the first time for this so I hope they have ideas for locations. Most likely it will be a lot of informal snapshots during the day and hope to turn them into something nice.
    Talk to the B&G and try to convince them to take 30 - 60 minutes out of the day to do some one-on-two photography. Get them away from the guests, allow them to de-pressurize a bit, and get some nice, intimate photographs (rather than snapshots). For me, these have always been some of the best received photograhs of the day - when I can convince the client to make the time for them. Locations don't have to be spectacular - the magic will be in the connection between the B&G and their excitement for each other and for the day.
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Talk to the B&G and try to convince them to take 30 - 60 minutes out of the day to do some one-on-two photography. Get them away from the guests, allow them to de-pressurize a bit, and get some nice, intimate photographs (rather than snapshots). For me, these have always been some of the best received photograhs of the day - when I can convince the client to make the time for them. Locations don't have to be spectacular - the magic will be in the connection between the B&G and their excitement for each other and for the day.

++ thumb.gif

Seriously, a private session time day-of is soooo key.

Secondly, everyone thinks spectacular images are made at spectacular locations. The reality is that many of those are simply great images of a place - with a couple thrown in. Spectacular WEDDING images can be made ANYWHERE - because it's all about the couple.

That having been said, a good location sure makes it easier. ;0)
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Gonna be there anyways. Might as well shoot for the fun of it.

You see I still shoot for fun :)

you do realize you have contradicted your first post:D
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
    edited April 3, 2009
    Not really contradicting, to me anyways.

The hassles and stress would be from producing the shots that I am being paid to do. Not being paid means I can do it strictly for fun with no hassles or stress. So in other words, as long as I am doing it for free, I am doing it for fun and the B&G get what they paid for :)

But like in all things I am hoping to be able to deliver more then what a person pays for as well. Hope that makes sense.
    edited April 4, 2009
    so I guess that means you are being paid for this event
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    actually I think you did contradict yourself....in your 1st post you said you do not want to do weddings and then you said this might make for a nice little wedding portfolio.....a port means your headed in that direction or you would have no need of the port.......but i care not...cause I shoot weddings because I truly enjoy the rush of the excitement and I have found nothing short of being butted by a curious deer that creates for as much Adrenalin flow......if you find them stressful this can cause a multitude of bad things to occur.....if you are determined to come away with a portfolio of shots......good shots then do as Scott Q. suggests.....
    Also get a copy of a couple of wedding mags at the bookstore, supermarket..etc etc.....and study the formal pics.......GOOGLE TIL your fingers bleed for wedding pics......google Columbia Mo.....I believe there is a truly picturesque University(s) there...

one month is not enuff time to tame the dragon of shooting weddings but if you will study the pics online and in mags...pick out 20-60 that really grab you and practice with your wife on the posing and such it can work out........find out about the brides dress ...how long is the train and the flowers and how many brides maids and that could open up doors for you as far as shots go........use your imagination if you encounter that shot #30 won't work then improvise.......if you actually make a shot list then have your wife keeping track for you and get them into order on your list {also get her help for posing and be sure to enlist someone close to the B/G to get the family together for formal pics after the ceremony}.....pre-wedding (this is day of ceremony at the church as soon as groomis dressed and the bride is dressed ....shot separately), the ceremony.....post ceremony formals/intimates...........reception shots and before any gets to looking drunk a few more formals of just B/G again.......a have fun with reception shots......get close ups of bride with dad and father-in-law.....the multitude of portraits and I do mean PORTRAITS that can be taken on the dance floor at a reception is phenomenal at the least....once I really started looking for them the f-stop came way down and I stepped up close with 70-210f2.8 and started getting them......but you gotta think ahead ....way ahead.........You have one month to become proficient with a hand full of shots......and it is much easier if you memorize what you want to shoot............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 5, 2009
    Scott_Q wrote:
    1.Get it in writing. Regardless of whether you are getting paid or not for this, get a contract together and get it signed. It doesn't have to be much, but you need to have spelled out what your client expects/wants and what you anticipate being able to deliver and at what cost. Are you going to deliver a disk? Are you going to deliver prints? You also need to spell out what you are going to do, if anything, should the whole thing go Tango-Uniform.

Already in the works.
    Scott_Q wrote:
    2.You have some really nice glass (the 70-200 f/2.8L IS - great isn't it). If the wedding is going to be indoors, the rest of your kit may prove to be a bit slow. May I suggest you rent something like the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS?

Not gonna happen :( If it gets too dark i will need to pull out the 50mm f/1.4 and/or the flash. Do have a couple things going for me though. Sounds like an outdoor BBQ style reception, depending on weather. So as long as light holds out should be fine. Also maybe a chance for from sunset shots.
    Yes I love my 70-200 f/2.8L IS.
    Scott_Q wrote:
    3.Take a look at the stickies in this forum. I'm not biased or anything, but I would pay particular attention to some of the points I mention in my "Thoughts on photographing a wedding" (see link in my siggy).

Already read your thoughts on weddings a couple times,
    Scott_Q wrote:
    4.If you don't have them now, get lots of memory. Shooting RAW will eat memory in a hurry and you really don't want to have to re-use a memory card during the wedding day - even if you have a laptop there onto which you could backup the cards. Use a card once and only once on the wedding day - believe me, it'll pay off in the long run!.

My 4x2gb cards used to be more than enough for the my old XT, but now I have to convince my wife I need more with the beasty 50D. I am working on convincing her I need 2 8gb cards in addition.
    Worst case will be the nightmare of importing all the pictures to the laptop as needed, but I am hoping to avoid this.
    Scott_Q wrote:
    5.Have fun!

Definitely.
    edited April 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    actually I think you did contradict yourself....in your 1st post you said you do not want to do weddings and then you said this might make for a nice little wedding portfolio.....a port means your headed in that direction or you would have no need of the port

Most likely eventually down that road. but right now I don't trust myself enough. The stress will be getting the shot right when I need it. Hustle and bustle, people, changes on the fly, simple.
    But still learning to get exposure right with the right settings for a specific shot the first time around. Couple that with learning a new camera... Well I am definitely not ready to do a real wedding shoot.

Art Scott wrote:
    the multitude of portraits and I do mean PORTRAITS that can be taken on the dance floor at a reception is phenomenal at the least....once I really started looking for them the f-stop came way down and I stepped up close with 70-210f2.8 and started getting them.

Thank you, That sounds like great advice.

The rest was good advice too. Thanks alot.
    edited April 5, 2009
    Shoot Raw
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    edited April 5, 2009
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    There are two ways to accept this wedding. One would be as a favor where you attend the wedding as a friend with a camera. There are no promises other than a collection of snapshots and no payment. The second is as a professional wedding photographer being paid for services. The second requires a very explicit written agreement. It does not sound as though you are ready for the pro approach. If you accept this your stress levels are going to be off the charts. As far as picture suggestions you can just look at the smug sites of many of the people that post in this forum. I realize that everyone has to start somewhere, but accepting a job for pay without being prepared is not the way. Thinking of portfolio shots before shooting your first wedding may be a bit premature. While a portfolio is important just showing someone the best shots from your first attemp may be a bit misleading and get you into trouble later when someone really expects you to perform.
    edited April 6, 2009
    There are two ways to accept this wedding. One would be as a favor where you attend the wedding as a friend with a camera. There are no promises other than a collection of snapshots and no payment. The second is as a professional wedding photographer being paid for services. The second requires a very explicit written agreement. It does not sound as though you are ready for the pro approach. If you accept this your stress levels are going to be off the charts. As far as picture suggestions you can just look at the smug sites of many of the people that post in this forum. I realize that everyone has to start somewhere, but accepting a job for pay without being prepared is not the way. Thinking of portfolio shots before shooting your first wedding may be a bit premature. While a portfolio is important just showing someone the best shots from your first attemp may be a bit misleading and get you into trouble later when someone really expects you to perform.

There is a lot of widsom in those words
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug