Close encounter with a RATTLER

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited September 26, 2006 in Wildlife
Well, I was wondering when this was going to happen, but it finally happened today while walking along the banks of the Verde River:

I happened upon a 3-foot long Western Diamondback rattlesnake, and I had SIX KIDS with me! I was a little ahead of the pack, and first noticed the rattler about a yard or so off to my left:
Steve-o

Comments

• ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    Rattler coiled to strike
    So I followed that rattler to take some more shots. After about 40 feet of that, it apparently had enough of me and, finding a bush to crawl under, it assumed the coiled strike position, shaking that rattle at me. Though I wanted to take a macro of its forked tongue, I felt it best to stay out of striking range and use my zoom instead.

As those six kids (four were mine, and two guests) never saw a rattler before, it was quite an experience for them! But rattlers are a fact of life out here, and being aware of that is necessary for developing safe hiking habits.

I tried some editing to bring it out better, but couldn't spend much time then (sorry):
    Steve-o
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    "Nice to have" captures. It's not every day that a rattler will appear in front of your lens.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    Wow, I've always wanted to see a rattler in the wild. I've seen copperheads, but no rattler. Must have been a great experience!
    Chris
  • ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    Must have been a somewhat scary experience with kids and all. We only have one type of snake here in Norway (Vipera berus) and it's not even very poisonous. :D
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    nice capture! I never want to see any snake when I'm out.:eek1
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    Awww.....

You couldn't get one of him striking at the lens!?! wings.gif

Nice capture and nice that you saw him before one of the kids did.thumb.gif
  • Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    wow...scary stuff.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    We only have one kind of snake
    around my house if I have anything to do with it....DEAD. I hate snakes!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Well, I was wondering when this was going to happen, but it finally happened today while walking along the banks of the Verde River:

I happened upon a 3-foot long Western Diamondback rattlesnake, and I had SIX KIDS with me! I was a little ahead of the pack, and first noticed the rattler about a yard or so off to my left:

Wow lucky the kids didnt come across it first!
    Would have been exciting and scary all at the same time, wanting to keep the kids safe, and want to take photos of it too :D

Once when I was in Oklahoma my friend and I went for a walk near a creek.
    As we walked along this thin dirt track we came to a bush and in the bush was the shed skin of a snake it was really big, so I picked it up and turned around to show it to my friend only to see she was already back at the car rolleyes1.gif I didn't know she was terrified of snakes and I tell you that girls feet never touched the ground... one second she was walking behind me and the next she was at the car.......... it was too funny nod.gif

Glad no one had a bad encounter with the snake........ good shot that first one ...... thanks for sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Its moments like this that makes one appreciate zoom and telephoto lenses. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    eek7.gif Wow Great dangerous shot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery