New to Lightroom - help me get going?

LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited April 24, 2011 in Finishing School
Hey all,

I tried Lightroom eons ago, and didn't like it. Convinced by a number of fellow photographers that it's improved greatly (and seeing the need for a faster way to process larger quantities of images), I'm giving it a second shot. I'm guessing I will have many questions as I get going on it, but right now I just need help getting started.

I think one of the reasons Lightroom rubbed me the wrong way before - and I'm trying to be open minded here - is that I don't really get the benefit of the whole import/catalog thing. Why can't lightroom just show all of the pictures in a given folder like any other program? It seems like Lightroom is determined to create extra steps, including when I want to delete a photo . . . Why keep previews and metadata for deleted images? It just makes me think they're still there, and confuses me about which items I have deleted.

So, before all the nitty gritty questions arise, can someone just talk me through why this system is so great? Is there a way to use lightroom to look through ALL of my pictures, and to delete the bad ones before processing the good ones, a bit more easily?

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Seriously...buy a book. It is the only way I can get started.

As to why you have to import, LR is a data base. Bridge and other programs can not sort through 20,000 or 60,000 images for the ones you key worded with "Fuffy" in a blink of an eye.

You also have a gazillion options when importing as to file names, key wording, dng conversion.

I am very far from a power user but I guarantee it will be worth the effort to learn.

Sam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 8, 2010
    Go here - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/lr3.shtml

While I agree with Sam that books are quite helpful, I really do find the videos made by Reichman and Schewe about Lightroom to be outstanding and easy to follow. As well as being entertaining, and funny. But that is just me.

I used to feel that Bridge was all I needed too, but that was before I had 40,000 images on my hard drives to sort through and edit. Lightroom is what I use now as my primary editor, with Photoshop used only for selections and editing unable to be done in Lightroom.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Lightroom isn't a file browser, but it kind of acts like one, so people have good reason to expect it to behave like a file browser should. However, in my experience, if you can put aside your assumptions about how you think Lightroom should work and simply learn how it does work, it isn't that hard to get used to, and then get quite dependent upon.

Lightroom's main advantage is in its ability to efficiently and expertly process digital captures, especially raw captures, from the point they leave your camera to a variety of output scenarios (new copies, prints, web, etc).

One video I highly recommend to all new Lightroom users is this one by George Jardine called Where are my photos? It is free, and should be included in the installation package IMHO. George also has an entire series (not free) of videos on the Library module and Develop, which are extremely thorough and professional. The Luminous Landscape series is also excellent.

There are some great books, such as Martin Evening's, and Scott Kelby's, which are the most popular, but Nat Coalson has a book that is worth checking out.

Beyond books, there are a wealth of free resources to trawl through, such as Lightroom Killer Tips, X-Equals, Lightroom Secrets, and Julieanne Kost to get you started. Actually, start with Julieanne's videos on Adobe TV to get a good walk through.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Go here - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/lr3.shtml
    While I agree with Sam that books are quite helpful, I really do find the videos made by Reichman and Schewe about Lightroom to be outstanding and easy to follow.

Best deal out there and a great way to learn about LR, I agree.

And to be some what self serving, I should mention this webinar:

http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited November 9, 2010
    Andrew, is that a variation of the session you did at Photoshop World a year or so ago? If so, that was one of the best Lightroom file management sessions I've seen.
    edited November 9, 2010
    RobSylvan wrote: »
    Andrew, is that a variation of the session you did at Photoshop World a year or so ago? If so, that was one of the best Lightroom file management sessions I've seen.

Thanks. Its updated for LR 3 and has some new content. Plus I have at least two hours unlike PSW and of the three previous webinars for RetouchPro, we go as long as 2.5 hours with lots of Q&A.
    Andrew Rodney
  • LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Hey everyone - thanks for the great tips a resources. I will definitely be doing some reading/watching over the next few days . . . expect more questions to follow.

One quick one here: understanding that a "database" is different than a "file browser," I would still like to find a way to configure my workflow such that I can quickly and easily delete files (actually delete the file, and remove any preview or other indication that it still might exist somewhere, hopefully with just ONE keystroke) as I'm going through and making my first round of selections and basic adjustments. I'm interested in lightroom partly because it is easier to make quick adjustments to lots of pictures, but it's frustrating to me if I have to take up all of the time I may be saving to take extra steps in deleting photos. Is there a way to configure this to fill that need?

Thanks!!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I click on the photo, hit delete and it is gone, I never see it again, can also do it with a right click.
    Not sure I understand the problem you are having with deletes.
    edited November 9, 2010
    Delete from within what, Lightroom, the finder?

In Lightroom, its an easy process. Usually as you move though your images just imported, you can simply click the X key to set that for a reject, then after you’ve gone through the images, the Command (Control on Windows)-Delete key will allow you to remove the images from the database (they still remain on the hard drive) OR send them directly to the trash. The Option (alt on Windows) plus delete will delete them without asking you making it a one keystroke delete operation.
    Andrew Rodney
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    You can also also easily delete images without bothering to flag them in the way that Andrew describes. Just select an image (or several) in either the Library or Develop module and hit delete. It will ask you whether you want to just remove the images from the database or delete from the disk. Done. I follow Andrew's approach and flag them when I am culling a big stack of images, but when I am working with fewer, I just delete as a go along.

If you want to delete from other software (sometimes, I find it quicker to do it from a file browser like ExplorerPlus), the next time you open lightroom, go to the folders from which you deleted the images and resync the folder.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    Delete from within what, Lightroom, the finder?

In Lightroom, its an easy process. Usually as you move though your images just imported, you can simply click the X key to set that for a reject, then after you’ve gone through the images, the Command (Control on Windows)-Delete key will allow you to remove the images from the database (they still remain on the hard drive) OR send them directly to the trash. The Option (alt on Windows) plus delete will delete them without asking you making it a one keystroke delete operation.

Yup, X them and then select "delete from disk", this gets rid of everything associated with that image.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited November 16, 2010
    Sorry for my delayed response - I got busy and had to table the project of learning lightroom for a bit. I was actually working from memory, and from Adobe's help files, which state "Unless manually removed, the previews and metadata stay in the catalog, even if you move the corresponding photos off your computer to archive them at a different storage location."

Is there a way to get rid of the confirmation dialog so that I can just hit delete and have it always know that I mean delete, not "remove"?
    edited November 17, 2010
    LiveAwake wrote: »

Is there a way to get rid of the confirmation dialog so that I can just hit delete and have it always know that I mean delete, not "remove"?

No, but you can use this key-combo instead:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Backspace

Mac: Command + Option + Shift + Delete
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    This video tutorial I made should help you get going ;) It's 3 parts and covers an aweful lot for the beginner especially!!

http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/tutorials/lightroom/lr_setup_import_1.html

Best,
    Jay
    edited February 24, 2011
    This video tutorial I made should help you get going ;) It's 3 parts and covers an aweful lot for the beginner especially!!

http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/tutorials/lightroom/lr_setup_import_1.html

Best,
    Jay
    Link comes up not found. headscratch.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Why can't lightroom just show all of the pictures in a given folder like any other program?
    It can, and does for me! headscratch.gif
    Why keep previews and metadata for deleted images? It just makes me think they're still there, and confuses me about which items I have deleted.
    There's no good reason. ne_nau.gif
    So, before all the nitty gritty questions arise, can someone just talk me through why this system is so great?
    No, but you should presume that the hundreds of thousands of present users see something in it that you, apparently, don't, and which suggests you should do some research. You clearly don't know how it works. eek7.gif
    Is there a way to use lightroom to look through ALL of my pictures, and to delete the bad ones before processing the good ones, a bit more easily?
    Yes. Just point it at all your images ('import' them in the folder(s) they are already in) and then just tell it to delete (and remove from disk) those that you will have no further use for. Then just 'process' the ones you are interested in - as and when you want to. nod.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 24, 2011
    Or just never import that bad ones in the first place, when you are choosing which photos to import from your memory card. I try to be ruthless about this aspect, but still find myself deleting more later, just the same.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 25, 2011
    Link comes up not found. headscratch.gif

Sorry, that was the old Website. All the Lightroom Video Tutorials are located here now ;)

www.jhpvideotutorials.com/tutorials/lightroom

Best,
    Jay
    edited February 25, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Or just never import that bad ones in the first place, when you are choosing which photos to import from your memory card. I try to be ruthless about this aspect, but still find myself deleting more later, just the same.

I also try and do this to save time on importing ect..... I find with the Portrait work I really need to see full res on a lot of them before I delete them, so I just delete the obvious bad shots before import.

Best,
    Jay
  • elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Does anyone have any recommendations on a good Lightroom book?
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    I would always recommend the Julianne Kost videos (free) on Adobe TV...

http://tv.adobe.com/show/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost

Anthony.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Anthony wrote: »
    I would always recommend the Julianne Kost videos (free) on Adobe TV...

http://tv.adobe.com/show/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost

Anthony.

+1thumb.gif

Also, the times I have come up against problems, the LR forum is a great resource, with fantastically knowledgeable and helpful folks.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    +1thumb.gif

Also, the times I have come up against problems, the LR forum is a great resource, with fantastically knowledgeable and helpful folks.

And some are even SmugMug/Dgrinners :D

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    And some are even SmugMug/Dgrinners :D

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Let's hope so!
  • elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Thank you all for the suggestions!