Funky Password (to view) problem

NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited January 1, 2009 in SmugMug Support
(here we go: first post on Dgrin!)

OK, so I've checked all the places I could think of, but I've still not got it.
Here's the problem:

I set a password protection on a gallery of kid shots I took at a birthday party. (also set so Google, Dgrin, etc. can't see it, but otherwise not blocked)

Using a different browser than usual, I access the top page (type NTWPhotos.com), then click the protected gallery. As expected, I get a password request page.

When I type the incorrect password, it operates as expected: complaint about wrong password.

When I type the correct password, it basically just reloads the same page and I still don't get into the album!

I've checked other galleries as well, and all of my password protected ones do this. I'm sure it's something stooopid I've missed, but not so sure that I've been able to find the answer yet. :wink
Since I'm new to SM, I could have well done something without realizing it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I really appreciate it!
NateW

BTW: settings are as follows:
Privacy: Public
Hello World: No
Hello smuggers: No
External Links: Yes
Protected: No
Watermarking: No
Hide Owner: No
Largest Size: Original
NateW

NTWPhotos.com
Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    PM me the gallery link
    edited December 30, 2008
    Hm, it all worked normally for me, can you try again?
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    WTH (Heck)? When I try in either Safari (cookies et. al. reset) I still get the same thing.
    Repeat when I clear auth'd sessions and cookies in Firefox.

When I tried this earlier, we tried it with either my wife's ibook or my iMac. Same results either way.

I'll try my PC as well, but it's a beast (and needs a reboot first, which could be 20-30 minutes...) (and oh, crap: it's got a crashed HD when I went to reboot. I may have to try this from another front.)
    Hmmm.....

(so far: 2 macs have had the problem with 2 different browsers. 1 mac is 10.4 and the other is 10.5)

I suppose if it works OK for others, I'll need to work on it from my end(?), but it does leave me a little worried.
    I'll keep digging.

NateW
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited December 30, 2008
    Andy-

Thanks for looking into this issue I'm having. I suspect it's a problem somewhere between the keyboard and the chair, but I'm still having it.

So, to continue the testing, trial #2: NG
    Asked a relative to try (they'd never been to SM), but got the same result.
    Platforms:
    *iMac 10.5 Firefox
    *Windows XP IE (v7? I think...)
    (my own PC is dead currently: as I mentioned before, the drive just crashed when trying to test this out... rolleyes1.gif)

What's up? I know there was no problem when (Andy) tried it out, but it's still not working for me or my family!

Just in case I missed mentioning something that's important:
    When you log in to the password request, it refreshes without complaint (i.e.: same page with no text entered in the password box), but doesn't send you any farther.
    If you click the back button on the browser, it takes you back the number of times you tried to log in.
    If you mis-type the password, it does tell you you typed the wrong password.

I made a new gallery with random shots to give it another go.
    Initial URL:
    NTWPhotos.com

click gallery:
    Testing

password:
    Testing

I am totally lost on this. ne_nau.gif Of course, I'm new, so I probably should be, but still.

Thank you very much for your support!

Nate
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

edited December 31, 2008
    (Sorry, one more try: I accidentally set the Testing gallery to unlisted; that's fixed now)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

edited January 1, 2009
    I'll see if another hero can figure this out.
    Stay tuned.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Nate,

Welcome to Dgrin and SmugMug! wave.gif

Simple issue: you didn't have your domain set up completely. In the settings tab of your SmugMug control panel, the domain was not entered. That's why we couldn't set the cookie properly for it. I've entered your domain and it should be working now.

Happy new year,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 1, 2009
    Hey guys, thanks a lot. Glad to see it was a newbie error (of not finishing the instructions properly when I set up the domain....).rolleyes1.gif

Now, however, I am stylin'.:ivar

Awesome! Thanks again!

Nate
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com