Curious

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited October 13, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
So I get almost 2000 views on an image in three days.
Some very nice comments and 5 star ratings from everyone.

And Zero sales.

Do you think maybe the vast majority of people viewing photos are other Smuggers just browsing? (like me:huh )
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 13, 2007
    That's the image you posted in Field & Street on Oct 8.

This is a forum with 18,000+ members so getting 2000 hits to your site is not inconceivable but unfortunately this is not necessarily an audience of purchasers.

Your images are beautiful!
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    yes, beautiful photos, Montec - very impressive!

I do think that the audience that you experienced is probably not one that would purchase photos. Some of my photographer friends around here never put up their absolutely BEST work on their blog, because more photographers subscribe to the RSS feed than potential customers! So they don't want everyone's work to look just like theirs! Which I think is ridiculous - because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?! hahaha. I always put my best foot forward, but either way - I'm sorry you didn't sell any, but artistic prints aren't things that usually fly off shelves...you have to have the right buyer at the right time and at the right price.

Never get discouraged, always do your best for yourself and customers will follow.

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I agree with Angelo, your images are outstanding.

In general, I think nature and landscapes photography is a tough market; there are so many sources of great images.

I'm not sure that there is any valid rule of thumb for the number of views vs. sales. Have patience, promote your site, take great images and they will come.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    That's the image you posted in Field & Street on Oct 8.

This is a forum with 18,000+ members so getting 2000 hits to your site is not inconceivable but unfortunately this is not necessarily an audience of purchasers.

Your images are beautiful!

You are correct, I posted it here on Oct 8th but just put it in the gallery a few days ago.

To be honest I was not expecting huge sales (or any) from this gallery, I primarily do weddings and have private galleries for that.

I was just curious, mostly other photogs viewing or actual customers.

Thanks for your kind comments on the photos, Landscape is a great hobby. The pros at this do some incredible work that I love to view all the time.
    Cheers,
    Monte