Heavy Iron....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited October 9, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
....and big money.

1. 1935 Auburn 851 Speedster

Amelia%202013%20410-X3.jpg

2. 1937 Cord Sportsman

Amelia%202013%20408-X3.jpg

3. 1932 Auburn 12-160A Boattail Speedster. Only made 50 of these jewels....some kind of gorgeous.

Amelia%202013%20166-X3.jpg

4. 1929 Duesenberg REAL BIG MONEY

Amelia%202013%20402-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,416 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Beautiful cars, Tom, and beautifully captured!
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    What insane beauties! Wow! Crazy good!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Outstanding captures of some gorgeous automobiles as usual Tom. Interesting how the side view mirror is attached on the Duesenberg.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Can we please make the auto designers of the thirties go back to work?

Artist designing metal art... What a visual treat!
    Randy
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Great stuff Tom! Today's cars (especially the super cars) are rather boring to photograph compared to the old stuff. With the possible exception of Spyker.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    Beautiful cars, Tom, and beautifully captured!

Thanks, John. You ought to think about coming down one March and going to the Amelia Island show with me. Stay at my house. I'd even throw on some low-country boil for you.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 7, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    What insane beauties! Wow! Crazy good!

I tell you, Taz, you have to see this stuff in person to really appreciate the talent, and money, that goes into restorations of this caliber. This Amelia show was acknowledged as the premier auto event of the world last year. Pretty heady ranking.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    edited October 7, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Outstanding captures of some gorgeous automobiles as usual Tom. Interesting how the side view mirror is attached on the Duesenberg.

You'd love this show, Jack. You, too, ought to think about coming sometime. It's usually held in the second week of March.

The mirror attachment on the spare wheel of the Duesenberg was, during those times, a fairly common practice. In fact, a number of manufacturers used a similar set-up. The actual attachment mechanism varied somewhat....here you see leather straps doing the job....but the location was commonly used.

See you, buddy,

Tom
    edited October 7, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Can we please make the auto designers of the thirties go back to work?

Artist designing metal art... What a visual treat!

I couldn't agree with you more, pard. We can thank the politicians and government intrusions for the dominant blandness in today's auto designs.

Take care,

Tom
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Not completely fair Tom. Sure some safety aspects are the result of regulation. Bumpers, crash zones, air bags (which impact the design of side doors, steering wheels, etc.). Some of it is also aerodynamic concerns. Some of it is insurance industry (bumpers to reduce repair costs for small accidents, air bags to reduce medical liability and payouts, etc.). Sometimes regulation comes directly from private industry (insurance lobbying for example). Ok, ok, MOST regulation comes from private industry lobbying of one sort or another. :)

Every once in awhile someone still creates a stunning car even in this climate though. Ever seen a late model Spyker? Truly a work of art.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited October 7, 2014
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Great stuff Tom! Today's cars (especially the super cars) are rather boring to photograph compared to the old stuff. With the possible exception of Spyker.

Thanks, Bill.

Sadly, you're right. I was in South Florida the other day....surrounded by the latest from Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and others....and I would have much preferred a single Duesenberg to pour over. These new super cars reflect a previously unheard of level of sophistication and capabilities but they all lack, in my mind, the critical element of character.

Great to hear from you,

Tom
    edited October 7, 2014
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Not completely fair Tom. Sure some safety aspects are the result of regulation. Bumpers, crash zones, air bags (which impact the design of side doors, steering wheels, etc.). Some of it is also aerodynamic concerns. Some of it is insurance industry (bumpers to reduce repair costs for small accidents, air bags to reduce medical liability and payouts, etc.). Sometimes regulation comes directly from private industry (insurance lobbying for example). Ok, ok, MOST regulation comes from private industry lobbying of one sort or another. :)

Every once in awhile someone still creates a stunning car even in this climate though. Ever seen a late model Spyker? Truly a work of art.

I had an opportunity to sit in a Spyker last year. It was a striking thing....swathed in a copper color that darn near blinded you to look at it. It certainly did have some unique design features but, honestly, some of the smaller appointments just didn't seem to fit the rest of the car....almost like they were an afterthought. Had I been willing to wait an hour, I could have driven the car. I had to get back to Jacksonville, though, so that never transpired.

This whole styling issue is about as subjective as things get. The younger crowd seems to be much more enamored with the current super car styling....as opposed to the older crowd. Thank goodness there's something for everybody.

Thanks for the conversation,

Tom
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Great images, Beautiful cars, Art on wheels. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Top notch images as always Tom!
    I surely would love to drive one of those... it'll never happen - but I can dream, can't I?
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited October 8, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great images, Beautiful cars, Art on wheels. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Well, Phil, from one " roaddog " to another, I'm thrilled to share this stuff with folks that feel the passion these cars can evoke.

Always glad when you drop by,

Tom
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited October 8, 2014
    What a great set of pictures. The first reminds me of a Steve Moal roadster. Well, perhaps it's the other way around. Anyhow, Moal builds hot rods-mostly by hand and using techniques you might have found used in yesteryear.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 8, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Top notch images as always Tom!
    I surely would love to drive one of those... it'll never happen - but I can dream, can't I?

Thanks so much for your support, Eric.

Don't ever quit dreaming. Most owners of these kind of cars appreciate the interest shown in the car by other folks. Admittedly, over the years, I've often been able to put myself in the right place at the right time....as a consequence, I've been able to wrangle rides ( and even some driving stints ) in some pretty heady machinery. Having cojones the size of watermelons doesn't hurt either. If you don't ask for it, you probably ain't getting it.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    edited October 8, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    What a great set of pictures. The first reminds me of a Steve Moal roadster. Well, perhaps it's the other way around. Anyhow, Moal builds hot rods-mostly by hand and using techniques you might have found used in yesteryear.

I've got to tell you, Ian, that I've been a fan of Moal's work for a long, long time. A year ago, he and six of his creations were especially featured at the Amelia show. Whew....talk about stunning. If I were to commission the building of a hot rod, it would be a real tough choice between Steve Moal and Chip Foose.

See you,

Tom
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    ....If you don't ask for it, you probably ain't getting it.

Tom
    Oh... hmm... you must be married. deal.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

(ladies, relax - it's a joke) :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited October 8, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Oh... hmm... you must be married. deal.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

(ladies, relax - it's a joke) :D

rolleyes1.gifroflI've got do a better job of reading the small print. Keep your head down.

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Howdy Tom,

Oh My, I'm going to have to go to one of these shows.
    Your images over the years have made it such a surreal
    experience, that I feel like I have to see one, so it's on
    the Short List.

Wonderful color and captures, just so neat to see these
    beauties.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited October 9, 2014
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Oh My, I'm going to have to go to one of these shows.
    Your images over the years have made it such a surreal
    experience, that I feel like I have to see one, so it's on
    the Short List.

Wonderful color and captures, just so neat to see these
    beauties.

Better watch out, Craig. An affinity for this whole car-world thing can end up consuming you. I got afflicted at a very early age. I blame my parents....both were incorrigible gear-heads and fast-car fanatics. I never had a chance at having a normal childhood.:D

See you,

Tom
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 9, 2014
    Beautiful shots as always, Tom. Which one did you take home?
    edited October 9, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Beautiful shots as always, Tom. Which one did you take home?

Thanks, Joel.

The only way I could have gotten one home would have been to dress up in black and strike in the middle of the night. If I could have made off with it, I would have chosen that stunning 1932 Auburn Boattail Speedster. Gracious, that thing just bowled me over.

Good to hear from you,

Tom