rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited September 30, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Newspaper Rock in Utah
Randy

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 27, 2012
    Newspaper Rock, I always visit when in the area, but I find it hard to shoot.

I think you have interesting comps here, Randy.

I do find it interesting that the sign says these are prior to 1300AD, and yet shows a rider on horseback with a bow and arrow, which would suggest to me that this was after the arrival of the conquistadors and their horses in the New World e.g.: after 1500 AD. Some of the glyphs do look distinctly like Fremont images though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Newspaper Rock, I always visit when in the area, but I find it hard to shoot.

I think you have interesting comps here, Randy.

I do find it interesting that the sign says these are prior to 1300AD, and yet shows a rider on horseback with a bow and arrow, which would suggest to me that this was after the arrival of the conquistadors and their horses in the New World e.g.: after 1500 AD. Some of the glyphs do look distinctly like Fremont images though.

I agree Jim, these are hard to shoot well.

I don't know much about this kind of history, but one thing keeps popping up in my mind...

All over the world petroglyph's are found from many different civilizations over several hundreds of years. It would seem that due to the huge time spread and locations of these extinct civilizations that one would not have even known the others to have existed.

Yet, and this is what seems prominent in my mind, why do most of them have the same "Alien" looking figure in them?

How could all of these different civilizations draw the same strange figure?

It is distinctly not of a regular person, and they usually have those also in the petroglyph's.

Hmm... :s85 ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Studding the petroglyph's I see they have documented the wheel, Santa and his reindeer, big foot, the four toed biped, and our space brothers. :D

Sam
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Nice document Randy - I think the multicultural similarity in the stylized humanoid forms may be due to the the tendency of the ancient artists to combine animal characteristics with human ones - yeah, that or ancient aliens. eek7.gif

@ Sam - Laughing.gif..... image #2, upper left - Waldo for sure!

@ pathfinder - very good point about the horse.... the sign does mention contributions by later peoples - dunno.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Studding the petroglyph's I see they have documented the wheel, Santa and his reindeer, big foot, the four toed biped, and our space brothers. :D

Sam

Sam,
    I see you are also a history student rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Nice document Randy - I think the multicultural similarity in the stylized humanoid forms may be due to the the tendency of the ancient artists to combine animal characteristics with human ones - yeah, that or ancient aliens. eek7.gif

@ Sam - Laughing.gif..... image #2, upper left - Waldo for sure!

@ pathfinder - very good point about the horse.... the sign does mention contributions by later peoples - dunno.

I'm going with your second choice Eric :D
    Randy