A day out with the camera:

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited February 7, 2014 in Journeys
The winter light in England is not quite so pure especially for wildlife. So some of these were harder to get than some, and I can't wait to get some light for birds in the summer months over here.

There are a couple of candid street photography shots, "Cooking" and "Wraps and Fags - No Thanks!"

One is of a busker, setting up for the day (note his can of Cider!) and a single exposure (no HDR) inside an arcade (Millers Arcade in Preston) with a couple of chaps have a sit down/rest.

Then the wildlife ones are of cormorants which were 250 yards from the bird hide, hand held with a 1.4x extender on the Bigma (so that's 1120mm) - a blue tit in the tree tops at the sunniest part of the day this morning, both taken at a nature reserve in Preston.

Then the last two at the River Brock on the outskirts of the city - the area is known as Brock Bottoms (it's in a valley) - the first a Great Tit waiting it's turn at the feeding station for the Nuthatch to finish, and then my shot of the day, a Dipper, a bird I have only ever seen at Brock, but this was taken at all the wrong settings, as I was in dull woodlands, with the camera set at widest aperture (f/6.3) but at ISO 100 and at just 1/30sec HAND HELD!!! The dipper was some distance away, and is only around 7 inches in size, so I am quite pleased with the result. Wat until summer... happy.gif

1080cooking.jpg

1080smoking.jpg

1080busk.jpg

1080arcade1.jpg

1080cormorants.jpg

1080bt1aEDIT.jpg

1080soon.jpg

1080dipper.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    The BT shot'd get my vote, Paul :)

pp
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Cheers Paul.

I did wonder if that would take a tighter crop.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Possibly - but I suspect you'll get a range of answers (if anyone does) associated with where, if at all. Personally, it'd be a bit off the top and LHS (if any)

There's often a tendency (imo) to want to fill the frame with subject to a greater rather than lesser degree - show off every last bit of dust on each individual feather / hair whatever ... all in glorious high contrast, heavily saturated col etc ... but whether this always makes for a better 'picture' is open to debate imo ... as opposed to something that's better composed and a bit 'moodier' - as opposed to a book ID image (as such, btw, I'd slightly question your comments about waiting for light in the summer :)

Far better bods than I at one well known site have decided on having a 'subject small in frame' section ... so go figure :)

pp