Options

When you've got enough money....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 4, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
....you can buy a lady friend something like this.

The notorious playboy, Prince Ali Khan, was considered the world's wealthiest man. He became smitten with the American actress, Rita Hayworth, and was putting the full-court press on her.
To aid his cause, he presented this car to her as a gift.

The car is a 1953 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe. But it's not just any old Cadillac. It was specially made for him by the famous design house, Ghia. In the mid '50s, you could still order a bare chassis automobile from American manufacturers and have that chassis sent to a custom coach builder for completion. Ghia did this one for the Prince....one of only two that Ghia ever did involving this model car. This gift may have helped the Prince in the short term but Hayworth eventually dusted him off.

Amelia-Show-2012-044-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2012-046-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2012-051-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2012
    Interesting Tom.... nice shots

I especially like the pun..... putting the full-court press on her
    Rags
  • Options
    torags wrote: »
    Interesting Tom.... nice shots

I especially like the pun..... putting the full-court press on her

:DSomehow, Rags, it doesn't surprise me that you picked up on the pun.:D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Egad! For that car, I might have considered letting him have his way with me.

(I never typed that eek7.gif . . . it was someone spoofing me.)
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    That is one stunning car! I like how the front styling is somewhat reminiscent of the Dual Ghia.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    Icebear wrote: »
    Egad! For that car, I might have considered letting him have his way with me.

(I never typed that eek7.gif . . . it was someone spoofing me.)

And I swear I'll never tell that I read what you typed.wings.gif

Tom
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    That is one stunning car! I like how the from styling is somewhat reminiscent of the Dual Ghia.

You can certainly see Ghia written all over this car. I wish my shots could adequately depict the craftsmanship here....the panel fit is flawless and the paint finish on this car is simply breathtaking.

Tom
  • Options
    Did you use a polarizing filter on these shots?
    John :
  • Options
    Icebear wrote: »
    Did you use a polarizing filter on these shots?

Yes I did. When shooting car shows, I find the polarizer to be an indispensable tool. There's so many reflective surfaces around ( paint, chrome, etc., etc. ) that it can be a real nightmare to deal with without using the polarizer.

Tom
  • Options
    It really shows! The images are rich and saturated, and the specular highlights not obtrusive. I have a nice CP filter. Unfortunately, I bought it to fit my DX lenses. Now that I'm shooting FX almost exclusively, I need to buy a larger CP filter. Oh well, it's only $$$.
    John :
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    All the lines seem to imply forward motion even while sitting still.

Beautiful thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    rwells wrote: »
    All the lines seem to imply forward motion even while sitting still.

Beautiful thumb.gif

Thanks, Randy. Ghia has a long, storied history of dramatic car designs. This car must surely rank at the very top level of their achievements. It's a rare design that looks good from any and every angle of view....this one does.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    As always, great shots!.....I had two thoughts - they just don't make cars like they used to, and, I too am, and have always been, smitten with Rita Hayworth - never thought to give her a gift tho....
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    As always, great shots!.....I had two thoughts - they just don't make cars like they used to, and, I too am, and have always been, smitten with Rita Hayworth - never thought to give her a gift tho....

Thanks for looking in, Eric. Sadly, you're right in many regards about modern cars. The area in which they suffer the most is relative to their exterior design. BLAND BLAND BLAND....to be fair, some of that is due to government regulations. Mostly, however, major manufacturers are afraid to stand out from the herd, to be different. That's a pity.

Tom
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    When you've got enough money....
    Good Afternoon Tom,
    Man, if he could have landed her, he would have had the first Ghia pet rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif Excellent shots without a doubt thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon Tom,
    Man, if he could have landed her, he would have had the first Ghia pet rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif Excellent shots without a doubt thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    I dated the wrong guys in my youth .. I never was given a car :cry
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I dated the wrong guys in my youth .. I never was given a car :cry

Well, I never delivered but I must have promised at least 50 of the things as I wound my way from puberty to manhood. Sometimes it actually worked.:stud

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2012
    So, Tom, did you end up giving your wife the nicest car of all? :D I saw another nice old Chevy truck the other day--I still want one. You've given us more great shots and car info--I learn so much by your posts. And here I thought a car was just a car.....
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    So, Tom, did you end up giving your wife the nicest car of all? :D I saw another nice old Chevy truck the other day--I still want one. You've given us more great shots and car info--I learn so much by your posts. And here I thought a car was just a car.....

Now, Lauren, you know that I know the truth. If you thought cars were just cars, you wouldn't be lusting after an older Chevy truck. Our vehicles can represent so much more than simple transportation. They serve as acknowledgment, freedom, the attainment of dreams and a lot more....at least to some of us.

I, also, want an old Chevy truck. I thought I had found a good one last month but the guy wouldn't get realistic on his asking price. I'll keep looking.

I'm a very blessed man. Darlene is a very independent person. She insists on buying her own cars with her own funds. I huff up and protest mightily, but, secretly, I don't mind...if it keeps her happy, I'm all for it. I do love her dearly.

Tom
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited October 3, 2012
    The car is amazing. For me, the front end reminds me of a Bently or Rolls and like many American cars, it seems to take on designs of other cars of the day.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    OK, you caught me. Vehicles do indeed tell much about a person. As for the idea of freedom.......my truck allows me to travel the back (usually dirt) roads of Texas that I love to roam and shoot. And after putting lots, er, LOTS of money into the 75K checkup the other day I plan to keep it for a long time. My mechanic said "you are good for 100K miles now."wings.gif When I find somebody selling 2 for 1 Chevys, I will give you the second one.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com