Options

California Fall Colors

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited October 17, 2014 in Landscapes
Hi guys,

So I decided to make a short weekend trip to the Eastern Sierras (Bishop, Mammoth, June Lake, Lee Vining) to photograph the fall colors (yes, I too was surprised to learn that we actually had fall). Today has been spectacular and the colors have been nothing short of breathtaking. I have appended a few photos below - can't wait to head out again tomorrow to shoot pics. :wink

North%20Lake%201a-L.jpg

Mist%20Falls%201-L.jpg

Bishop%20Creek%201-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2014
    Great light!
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited October 11, 2014
    Beautiful images and captured well. A suggestion though… all look too dark, especially the first one.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    Yeah bring up the darks/shadows/exposure.....and if the light area blows up because of that, use the gradient tool!
    Great set!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 14, 2014
    Awesome, Nikhil. I have yet to hit the eastern Sierra in the fall, and you seemed to have hit it exactly at the peak. So jealous.

I see what you did with your processing. You pushed it as far as possible without blowing any of the RGB channels. Those deep luminescent colors are really fragile. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Beautiful images and captured well. A suggestion though… all look too dark, especially the first one.

Thanks for the feedback - I processed them on my notebook, which is not calibrated - hence the issue of darkness. Will need to check this out on my monitor back home (I did fix the first one).

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome, Nikhil. I have yet to hit the eastern Sierra in the fall, and you seemed to have hit it exactly at the peak. So jealous.

I see what you did with your processing. You pushed it as far as possible without blowing any of the RGB channels. Those deep luminescent colors are really fragile. nod.gif

Hey Joel,

You really need to go there. I can't believe that I have been in LA for 7 years now and haven't been there until now - it's gorgeous. Maybe next year we can hit that place at the same time? :ivar:ivar:ivar
    Cheers,
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    Great shots Nikhil. I am so jealous - I haven't been able to get to East side yet this year. But be sure to visit Lundy Lake area (just north of Mono Lake) - the aspens there are outstanding and the Beaver Dams are wonderful. Happy shooting!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 15, 2014
    shniks wrote: »
    Hey Joel,

You really need to go there. I can't believe that I have been in LA for 7 years now and haven't been there until now - it's gorgeous. Maybe next year we can hit that place at the same time? :ivar:ivar:ivar
    Cheers,
    Love to!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2014
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Great shots Nikhil. I am so jealous - I haven't been able to get to East side yet this year. But be sure to visit Lundy Lake area (just north of Mono Lake) - the aspens there are outstanding and the Beaver Dams are wonderful. Happy shooting!

Hi Jo,

I didn't get time to visit Lundy Lake this year unfortunately, but it's on my list for next year for sure. :D

BTW I love your 'Merced River Poppies' gallery - I don't think I have seen anything like that. Incredible. mwink.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    Thanks Nikhil. The poppies in the Merced River Canyon are actually more spectacular than what is shown in the gallery. Your California Poppy Reserve image outshines them all - I have never seen so many poppies and your capture is wonderful. Also, love the Horsetail Falls shot. Your website is so well done! When I grow up I want to shoot like you!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    BTW the current Dgrin challenge is about Fall. See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1974004#post1974004
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil