Opinion: Buying Used LIghting Equipment

iyacyasiyacyas Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited April 10, 2006 in Accessories
First, this seems like it would have been posted before but, can't seem to find much via search the forum so, if someone has already posted similiar info, point me to the 'light' (weak attempt at pun intended :thumb)

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a portable studio setup and it's my first excursion into studio lighting. A friend connected me with a gentleman who's selling a Profoto 3 light kit w/ battery pack & Case that's approx 3 years old. Looking into pricing, Profoto appears to be more on the upper end of the market than AB's, etc. (pricing anyway). Just thought i'd see if anyone had info on what to look for, ask, etc. and what to consider as, obviously used pricing would be better than new but, concerned over wear/tear, cost of replacements, service, etc.)

What's your thoughts on buying used lighting, what should I be concerned about, and what'syour opinions on determining buying a higher end set of lights used (in this case) vs. spending the money on a new set of AB's. or something as others have spoken of here with positive opinions.

(You're going to ask models and pricing...I'll know that later this weekend when I go look at them. )

Appreciate anyone's input ........... Cheers.
Michael

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Until somebody else pitches in
    From what I saw/know, lighting equipment is one of the rather slowly depreciating gear. What can go wrong with a light, except for a burnt out bulb? ne_nau.gif Electronics is extremely simple = durable.. Of course, if you were talking about 50-some years old lights they may miss some recent bells and whistles, but I don't recall any major breakthoughs in lighting during the last 3 years...
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Remember...Profoto is sold thru dealers and distributors....AB are not..just like the White Lighting line from Paul Buff also....so there is part of the pricing differnce.....Buff's products are manufactured in Nashville...Profoto Sweden I think....so another reason for price difference no import taxes and such.....

I do not believe that american made is always the best choice....but if the bees are as good as the White lighting 5000's I have been using for a very long time..then they will last and last and last.....just mho.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• iyacyasiyacyas Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    iyacyas wrote:
    First, this seems like it would have been posted before but, can't seem to find much via search the forum so, if someone has already posted similiar info, point me to the 'light' (weak attempt at pun intended thumb.gif)

(You're going to ask models and pricing...I'll know that later this weekend when I go look at them. )

Appreciate anyone's input ........... Cheers.
    Michael

Nikolai/Art, thanks for taking the time to respond. Good point on pricing.

Here's the details ..

It's a Profoto Acute 2 (1200) 3-head set with the Teniba Air Bag (Cat#501-005), 3 Manfrotto light stands, 2 unknown lightstands and a crossbar for a backdrop frame and a few head accessories, reflector holders, etc. Unit is 3 years old, said to have been used about 20 times, and is in fact very very clean. Price: $1500.

So, the set seems well worth considering when comparing the same thing new on B&H/Adorama (note - this only a two light set, the one I'm condsidering has three) One thing I noted and if someone could throw some knowledge my way on is, bulb replacements. The bulbs for these run $300+ and may not be user replaceable. What I don't know is what's common for a lifespan of bulbs before replacing? Is this something one should expect years and years before doing so or... is it more common to need to replace them periodicially.

Therefore, the choice is on: the used set or take a similiar amount of cash and get a new AB's setup like a couple custom packages than have been posted on DGrin elsewhere?

Can anyone provide their thoughts/experience with bulb maintenance, etc because I'd prefer to not buy something that, to replace a bulb I could have bought an entirely new AB light for the same cost. Plus,to Art's note above, my 'instant gratification addiction" is saying "it's 50% off currrent retail, it's a good deal!" That aside though, a 4 light AB's setup could be gained new and under warranty for similiar dollars

Your votes and commentsu, DGRinners?

-m
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Hi Michael,
    Firstly, what do you plan on doing with the lighting? What problem will they be solving for you? Where will you be shooting? What will you be shooting? How often will you be using the lighting?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    In my opinon, profoto is one of the best strobe companies around. You pay for the quality and consistency of the products. They are consistant in color temperature (lower end products tend to vary from the stated color temperture if you pop them off quickly), they recycle fast, and have a ton of accessories.

Changing the bulbs is a pretty simple task and anyone should be able to. There are 2, the large round one is the flash tube the skinny one is the model light. Remember to wear gloves, oil from your skin shortens bulbs.

The price you are quoting is well less than half of retail. If you are going to shoot portraits, its a great kit. I would not even think twice about it.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 1, 2006
    Hi Michael,
    Firstly, what do you plan on doing with the lighting? What problem will they be solving for you? Where will you be shooting? What will you be shooting? How often will you be using the lighting?

For now, basic portrait type setups, shooting '000s of shots of my 7month old, etc. but, once i get used to it and feel more comfortable I plan to take advantage of my wife's Mom's groups and shoot their kids, etc. I've already had several people ask if I would do some in home shots. I'm not so big in the 'commercial' side of things but, certainly want to be able to do high key stuff on occasion. Reality.... I can get by with one light and reflectors...Ease of use, two lights to help fill shaodws etc. (since most of the newborns are barely sitting..there's a lot of horizontal shooting).

Locations may vary but, mostly just in home or, on occasion outdoor/park type location (living in NC, the next 60 days blow up in colour). Having the battery pack will be beneficial.

Usage wise, this is a hobby for me and really just want to offset my expenses vs. make a F/T career out of it. (Already have one of those and my next career will be a Sailboat). So, weekends, 2 or 3 times a month although, I can certainly see playing around with still shots while at home at night.

Thanks for the time in replying.
    M
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    I bought a used 3-light Novatron kit w/600 ws power pack a couple of years ago on ebay. It's still working fine.

It tirned out to be a lot older than I had guessed it would be. An instruction book in the kit showed it to be an early 1980's product. But like I said, it all works just fine.

It's a roll of the dice on something like this. No warranty. It worked for me but other's mileage may vary. It seems a bargain for Profoto. My brand perception is that Bees and Lightnings are very decent strobes but Profoto is known to be truly pro-level gear.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    iyacyas wrote:
    I'm not so big in the 'commercial' side of things but, certainly want to be able to do high key stuff on occasion.
    High key is really a three light minimum, and easier with four if you are shooting adults.
    Locations may vary but, mostly just in home or, on occasion outdoor/park type location (living in NC, the next 60 days blow up in colour). Having the battery pack will be beneficial.
    Any light system will do here.
    Usage wise, this is a hobby for me and really just want to offset my expenses vs. make a F/T career out of it. (Already have one of those and my next career will be a Sailboat). So, weekends, 2 or 3 times a month although, I can certainly see playing around with still shots while at home at night.
    Ok, since you are familiar with boating, lighting is like boating...when it comes to cost and payback. Do not count on it paying for itself if your goal is not to be in business. Consider it a hobby that has costs like boating.

Bulbs burn out, break, discolor, etc. They need periodical replacement. The more you shoot the sooner you will have to replace them. The other high failure item is the capacitor. As they age, they loose their ability to do their thing, they may be the cause of color temperature changes, failure to work, and exploding.

battery packs are like any marine battery. You are probably already aware of their maintenance and need for replacement.

Light modifiers like umbrellas and softboxes, grids, and reflectors, gels and filters, don't need much, but they can get damaged like anything else. I have had to buy replacement umbrellas the most, they seem to be the least robust. Reflectors bend, but I have so far been able to bend them back into shape. And filters are consumable items, use them until they are no longer working for you and buy new.

As to what light system to buy, it's a toss up for me right now. You probably won't be using it enough to wear out a used set significantly. It sounds like you are leaning toward the used system, and I can't think of a reason not to go with it over a new system right now.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited April 8, 2006
    Everyone - My appreciation for the replies. Decided to go ahead with the Profoto kit and so far, seems to be working out just fine. Now I just need to sell my house to get one with a bigger bonus room for a studio. :D

Cheers.

Michael
    edited April 9, 2006
    iyacyas wrote:
    Everyone - My appreciation for the replies. Decided to go ahead with the Profoto kit and so far, seems to be working out just fine. Now I just need to sell my house to get one with a bigger bonus room for a studio. :D

Cheers.

Michael

Or buy a big house and use the 20x30 master suite with master bath for your studio and sleep in a smaller room :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 9, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Or buy a big house and use the 20x30 master suite with master bath for your studio and sleep in a smaller room :)

so, are you suggesting you're willing to come move the armoire I swore that, if we purchased, I'm only moving as a result of a corporate relo where someone else handles it and the stairs?

=)

BTW, got any preference for black backdrop fabirics, Bob? I bought a large piece of felt today and darned if the 20D isn't picking up every bit of texture in it for lowkey shots.... I guess this is where when you have decent equipment, you can't get away with the $3.99/yd stuff huh? mwink.gif

I've seen 'muslin" posted a bit and velvet..I 'thought' velvet woudl produce a shine but, after reading a few articles, perhaps I'm wrong. I need something I can drop on the floor and shoot close ups of my newborn to convert to B&W with a low key style. (I currently only have a Tamron 28-75 lens so, I'm typically, fairly close to the subject until I can get a new lens (looking at the Canon 70-300 IS USM...if you have any experience with it, would love to hear.

MH
    edited April 9, 2006
    iyacyas wrote:
    so, are you suggesting you're willing to come move the armoire I swore that, if we purchased, I'm only moving as a result of a corporate relo where someone else handles it and the stairs?

=)

BTW, got any preference for black backdrop fabirics, Bob? I bought a large piece of felt today and darned if the 20D isn't picking up every bit of texture in it for lowkey shots.... I guess this is where when you have decent equipment, you can't get away with the $3.99/yd stuff huh? mwink.gif

I've seen 'muslin" posted a bit and velvet..I 'thought' velvet woudl produce a shine but, after reading a few articles, perhaps I'm wrong. I need something I can drop on the floor and shoot close ups of my newborn to convert to B&W with a low key style. (I currently only have a Tamron 28-75 lens so, I'm typically, fairly close to the subject until I can get a new lens (looking at the Canon 70-300 IS USM...if you have any experience with it, would love to hear.

MH

I shoot a lot on white paper now. I have white and tea stained muslin but its so hard to keep it unwrinkled.

There is a black velvet, and I don't remember what its made from, that absorbs a lot flash for a really nice background,

Someone like Shay who shoots weddings and portraits probably has a lot more suggestions and details plus I just got back from shooting the All Harley Drag Racing Assoc. Bike Week Nationals so I am way to tired to think. :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 10, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Someone like Shay who shoots weddings and portraits probably has a lot more suggestions and details plus I just got back from shooting the All Harley Drag Racing Assoc. Bike Week Nationals so I am way to tired to think. :)

Somehow, I'd like to feel REALY bad for you but, how horrible and completely uninteresting the subject matter must have been for you!! <read with as much sarcasm and jealously as you can muster>

Appreciate all the help Bob.

Hope the pictures turned out great. Post a few for some of us to aspire to.

MH
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    This is shot against black velvet in my kid's playroom. I bought a large piece of velvet from a local fabric store for $50. Seems to absorb the light real well.

49637327-L.jpg
    edited April 10, 2006
    Mitchell, Thats a really nice shot. The black really makes it stand out.

iyacyas, I took 471 shots, here are 3 I just picked from the top of the list. I was standing in the burnout box with a 70-200 handheld. There is a lot of background junk at races so I cropped out a bunch of it. I haven't color corrected or anything on them, so excuse the bland color.

http://members.cox.net/b-bell/SEP318.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/b-bell/VRD19.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/b-bell/SG42.jpg
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses