Animated GIF question

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited August 24, 2016 in Finishing School
Does anyone know of a browser-independent way to force an animated GIF to download completely before the animation starts?

TIA.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 25, 2016
    Nothing simple that I know of.

I believe that W3.org has some "concepts" they are exploring in new raster image file formats and "Responsive Images" amongst other things.

If you can use a programmatical approach, CSS plus HTML plus JAVA/JavaScript code (typically), then Google, "display animated gif after loading" (without quotes) for some potential solutions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 1, 2016
    Thanks Ziggy. The image is hosted on SM, so I can't use JS. Guess I'll just have to put up with it.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy. The image is hosted on SM, so I can't use JS. Guess I'll just have to put up with it.

You could put one image in the space (a jpg of the start position of the gif) and then once the document has loaded (jQuery $(document).ready ) then replace the image with a gif. Pretty simple for a web developer knowing some basic code.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 24, 2016
    Thanks, bham. Unfortunately, I can't use anything other than CSS on my SmugMug gallery, which is where the problem is. ne_nau.gif
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2016
    Or another way would be to add some time on the first part of the gif so it basically stalls on the first part of the gif image for say 5 seconds, then starts to play the rest of it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me