Close Encounter With Jupiter

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited March 8, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
A couple snaps of our moon (half full but doesn't look it) at the time passing very close to Jupiter which also has 3 moons showing. Hard to know which ones those are without a chart. Nice Chart dial it in with 2.17.2013. Then tilt right 45 degrees for the more correct angle. Jupiters moons line up is pointed directly towards our moon. Io is closes to Jupiter and nearly in the planets glow to the right. Part of the Constellation Taurus is visible to the down left some (the set of stars with the open "V" to 11 o'clock and the open star cluster M45 or the Pleadies up and right.

Image 1
moon-Jupiter-m45%20pleiades_7642-L.jpg

Click for image 1 large

Wider view which contains the constellation Orion pretty central and parts the 6 constellations that surround it. I am pretty happy that I managed to get my camera sensor plane fairly parallel to the star field or my lens flares would have been much worse which to me (this time) is not all that bad. Sometimes its nice to include some foreground for perspective. For me this one is just about how my eyes alone see this patch of space.
Image 2
moon-Jupiter-m45%20pleiades-Orion_7642-L.jpg

Click for image 2 large.

Always nice to hear your comments.
Michael

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2013
    Interesting story and shots Michael ..... it reminds me how (through-out history) - despite the completely arbitrary nature of the 3 axis position of celestial objects - human beings find so much irrational meaning in astronomical patterns. headscratch.gif
    Can you tell that I don't read the Horoscopes? :D
    You've also reminded me how stoked I was the first time I viewed Jupiter's visible moons in my own telescope - I could swear I was channeling Galileo! So, thanks for posting the link to the table - it will prove useful for planning future observations.
    Hope you post more sky shots! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Interesting story and shots Michael ..... it reminds me how (through-out history) - despite the completely arbitrary nature of the 3 axis position of celestial objects - human beings find so much irrational meaning in astronomical patterns. headscratch.gif
    Can you tell that I don't read the Horoscopes? :D
    You've also reminded me how stoked I was the first time I viewed Jupiter's visible moons in my own telescope - I could swear I was channeling Galileo! So, thanks for posting the link to the table - it will prove useful for planning future observations.
    Hope you post more sky shots! thumb.gif
    Thank you Eric :D Cool your doing the planning. It is a must do. Ready is all good. I especially like to know at exactly what direction the moon & sun will rise and set from where I am standing on any given day.
    I know what you mean feeling the thrill of what it must have been like for people in the gauge of
    Galileo and others to observe celestial objects for the first time with their "new" crude telescopes.
    Once they dialed in quality and got high resolution they must have been staggered at what they were seeing. Then comes the realization of what it meant at the time.

Another spot I often use and admire images from those who would take the pics. You have a great
    opportunity for PanStarrs pic. Unless you have already grabbed a pic mwink.gif We have had west or generally overcast skys. Save it was clear at 2 this morning.

Like you I can't stand stand reading horoscopes. Gave that up 40 years ago.

We hope you post your sky images too thumb.gif
    Maybe this new comet appearance for the northern hemi might look something like this for us. I hope
    way better maybe bigger as well. Can't wait to see it coming around.
    WU1_WMweb_7962-XL.jpg

Also Eric... I did the candy picture. Will post it up. Liked the result.
    Michael
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    Been cloudy and rainy for days now - hoping for views of PanStarrs on the 12th - 13th.
    Eric ~ Smugmug