A Few Texas Roads - C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited May 19, 2011 in Landscapes
I am a big fan of driving back roads; my favorite photo outings are when I set out to explore and shoot the Texas Hill Country via FM roads and 2-lane highways. Even if I end up with no keepers for my portfolio I still enjoy wandering around. For those of you who like abandoned buildings and rust, this is a fun area to shoot! Beware though--the drought makes for some heavy dust on those back roads. My tan truck is nearly white and I'm thinking of sending all my gear in for cleaning!

Here are a few recent road shots. I'd appreciate any C&C on these.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. Sunrise in Bandera County
i-nrs4nfM-L.jpg

2. Highway 337 in Bandera County ("the most scenic drive in Texas")
i-hcDZxsK-L.jpg

3. B&W version
i-BL5QZmG-L.jpg

4. Highway 16 near Medina, TX - poor lighting but how is this comp? I plan to reshoot soon
i-FXgqS2t-L.jpg

5. Crossing Sandy Elm Creek in Guadalupe County
i-Skq6Bkw-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2011
    Hi Lauren, I really like #1 - beautiful lighting.

Cheers, Richard.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 14, 2011
    Sounds like a fun way to see the country and get some great shots! Your first shot is gorgeous and my favorite of the series. My two cents on the others: I prefer the BW version of highway 337. And depending on what is to the right of the tree in #4, I'm thinking that getting a bit more to the right side of the road might be more pleasing, but you have a better idea of the scenery there. Look forward to seeing more!
  • chuck54chuck54 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Great series. The Texas Hill country is a great place to make images, but then I'm pretty biased.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Here is a glimpse of what is to the right of the road in #4. The shoulder is pretty wide so I have room to work but the road gets lost fairly quickly. I was near the top of the hill but could go a bit higher. It is an easy place to reshoot, which I plan to do soon. This series was shot with the 70-300 at 85mm. It is a good candidate for a pano with vertical shots.

i-C5xBspV-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • TUeltzenTUeltzen Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Nice series.
    I really like number one. The color with the road leading right to is is great.
    Tim
    Washington, Missouri

www.PetPhotoKeepSake.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 16, 2011
    # 1 is my favorite - it's pulling my eyes down the road. Very nice...

--- Denise
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I'm kinda likin' the last one - that road shows some character. It makes me want to ride my bike!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I love this set! The curve of the road is a perfect way to draw your eye through the landscape. And the colors in #1 can't be beat thumb.gif
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 16, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Here is a glimpse of what is to the right of the road in #4. The shoulder is pretty wide so I have room to work but the road gets lost fairly quickly. I was near the top of the hill but could go a bit higher. It is an easy place to reshoot, which I plan to do soon. This series was shot with the 70-300 at 85mm. It is a good candidate for a pano with vertical shots.

I like the height of the tree on the left in your first shot of this scene. (You might try shooting from a lower perspective or moving just enough to hide the house behind that tree or shrub?) You could also try showing a little more of the tree to the right side of the frame but I can see why you framed the shot as you did.

Have fun with it!

Gretchen
    edited May 17, 2011
    Thanks, Eia, Schmoo, and Sapphire! I may hit this road again on Thurs. Will post any results. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    Good to see you shooting out and about! Roads fascinate me, too.

I'll vote with the crowd on #1 as the best of the series. My first thought was that it was the road to heaven. If you'd gone a titch lower, that concept would have been even stronger, I think.

Personally, I prefer the colour version of #2. The shades of green enhance the curve of the road for me.

Also, I prefer your first version of #4. If it wouldn't risk life and limb, it would be neat shot from even closer to the road or standing on the centre linerolleyes1.gif but you'd want to have a spotter near by to pull you away from oncoming traffic, for sure.

Looks like fun! If it EVER stops raining here (we're all considering taking an ark building course) maybe I'll get out a bit more and play with that new 20mm wideangle!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited May 18, 2011
    Ceci - Thanks for the comments, always appreciated from you! :D I like the idea of "road to heaven." May I use that phrase with this shot? There are lots of possibilities with this location so I hope to revisit tomorrow. It faces mostly east so if I can get there for sunrise I might have some nice shots. I won't try the center (centre) line shot because this road is a favorite of motorcycle riders and I see groups of them every time I drive this road!

I'd like to plan a visit to NB to get out of the Texas heat this summer. Let's talk about it--I'll try to call you next week. If it doesn't stop raining there I'll find someplace else to go! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, everyone--more Texas roads coming soon.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Hi, my favorite is #1 as well, great colors and the gate adds a nice element.
    I think you're right on with #4 and the lighting. Does the sun rise/set in the general
    direction of the road? I think maybe including a little bit more of the road on the left would
    help the eye ride smoother down the road. What I mean by "little bit more" is a higher vantage point
    perhaps with a ladder.
    As far as the curve, I much prefer the greens. The BW version is somewhat bland.
    Can't wait to see your next road trip
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I would try number 4 the road with the hills going off in the background as an HDR version to bring the sense of depth to the shot. I like the hill country and spent a couple weeks there last fall.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Ceci - Thanks for the comments, always appreciated from you! :D I like the idea of "road to heaven." May I use that phrase with this shot? There are lots of possibilities with this location so I hope to revisit tomorrow. It faces mostly east so if I can get there for sunrise I might have some nice shots. I won't try the center (centre) line shot because this road is a favorite of motorcycle riders and I see groups of them every time I drive this road!

I'd like to plan a visit to NB to get out of the Texas heat this summer. Let's talk about it--I'll try to call you next week. If it doesn't stop raining there I'll find someplace else to go! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, everyone--more Texas roads coming soon.

Lauren

The rain stopped yesterday. I actually hung clothes on my 3-week-old but still virgin clothes line today. And missed the best possible sunrise shot of a Saskatoon Berry Tree that I've ever seen because I wasn't quite awake enough to grab my camera and get out there. Duh.

C'mon up!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited May 19, 2011
    Thanks for the continuing suggestions for my reshoot--hope to post soon!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I just really love #1, just a Killer shot, warm sunset and even a warm reflection on the gate, easy for the viewer to walk through this image visually. I also like your #3 B/W version, nice S curve
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Ah..... the "three sisters", aka: FM335/336/337 and Highway 16 are my all-time FAVORITE roads in the state. You've presented them in a favorable light. thumb.gif
    edited May 19, 2011
    Thanks, Doug!

Thanks, Scott--I've been reading all day about the "three sisters" and mapping out my next few outings. There is so much to see in that part of the hill country.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com