Need help for the right lens

GothPuppyGothPuppy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 15, 2009 in Cameras
I need a fast indoor sports lens, and not sure what one to get. I will be shooting in low light and bad lighting (LOL) - Hoping not too break the bank.

I was wonder if the nikkor 50mm 1.8 aperture would be a good one to get?

Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    not trying to be facetious but it would help to know what your shooting, where will you be located in venue, which Nikon you use and maybe even why your shooting the sport(s)mwink.gif .............

Personally I would prefer a 2.8 zoom.....depending on my vantage point either a 17-70 2.8-4 or a 24-70 or a 70-200 ........depending on the cam will relegate just how high an iso you use...before subjects are unrecognizable due to noise.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• GothPuppyGothPuppy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I'm using a Nikon D80 - I will be shooting mostly in the school gym (volleyball, basketball that kind of stuff. But other sports will be in a poorly lit building. I'm looking for a lens that is not real heavy.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    For light weight and low light you might want to consider, a 50MM f1.8 ($110), and a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 ($350). Sometimes f2.8 isn't enough to get the shutter speed you need, so the 50MM is inexpensive and really should be in everyone's kit.

For plan B you could use strobist techniques (www.strobist.com), if you have some speedlights laying around.
    edited February 11, 2009
    Thank you Shane, looks like I may go shopping this weekend :D
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Sigma's lenses focus quickly. Would be good for sports. I would get the 70-200 2.8.
    edited February 11, 2009
    Thanks Swintonphoto... I will look at that lens too
  • gonzo2kgonzo2k Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Shoot me a pm if you're interested in a Tamron 17-50mm/2.8 for $315/shipped.
    It's in "like new" condition... I'll send some photos, if interested.
    Here's a link to one of many reviews:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_17-50_review.html
    Later,
    Rick
  • LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    consider an 85mm 1.8 too
    I've tried the Tamron 28-70 2.8 and did not like it. I've shot my daugthers vollyeball in some horrendous lighting with a nikon 85mm 1.8. decent results

keep in mind that the nikon 1.8 primes (50, 85) are the older slower AF and will not focus quickly in low light. Nikon has a new 50mm 1.4 that i've not tried yet. should be way faster to focus.

You best, and crazy expensive option, is a D300 D90 or D700 for excellent higher ISO performance and the wonderful 70-200mm 2.8.

GothPuppy wrote:
    I need a fast indoor sports lens, and not sure what one to get. I will be shooting in low light and bad lighting (Laughing.gif) - Hoping not too break the bank.

I was wonder if the nikkor 50mm 1.8 aperture would be a good one to get?

Thanks!
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
    edited February 15, 2009
    Thank You Tom - I will look at all of my options.... and hope to find the right one :D
  • two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    An 85 f1.8 would do well for indoor sports. It depends on the focal lengths you require and the body your using.
    D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4