Deer Lick Falls

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in Landscapes
Went out exploring and shooting yesterday. Deer Lick falls was a place I visited as a child but has been lost except in my memory until rediscovered yesterday. These falls are not a part of any park or public land and I fear will be lost forever in it's wilderness state. The surrounding 65 acres are currently for sale for private development. So, with capturing some unspoiled pristine falls, I set out to re-discover these falls. Took some trekking through the wood but I did find the upper falls and then found a very steep path down to the base. What makes this waterfall unique is that there are just a few falls of this height or higher in TN. Deer Lick Falls have an 80' drop. I have documented just about every waterfall in this portion of the state except for this one. It truely was a site to behold! The lighting held out as well. Nice cloud cover for diffused light and fresh spring growth wet from the morning rain. Was very lucky to get out as well, was unaware until I got out that tornadoes were headed my way. Also the flash flooding that came through this portion of the state yesterday and today.

All are single exposure captures.

Canon 5d, sigma 24-70f2.8 ex dg w/ cp

#1 Above the falls
854606612_ALd8j-XL.jpg

#2 above the falls
854611850_2wnPz-XL.jpg

#3 Deer Lick Falls
854621788_erBDf-XL.jpg

#4 different perspective
854624662_Vwe36-XL.jpg

#5 base of falls
854627693_AR9rR-XL.jpg

#6 below falls
854635480_zVYkb-XL.jpg

#7 below falls looking back at the falls
854632939_izWj3-XL.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    These are very good - from a lot of different perspectives! But, #5 --- I guess you were saving the best for last. That one just rocks! Love the color. But the composition really is wonderful!
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Thank you Scott.

It is always interesting to put up a series and see what people react to. I showed these to my better half and her favorite was a toss up between #1 and #2. My personal favorite is #7. I do love #5 though, the falls hitting the rocks, the colors, the texture.

-Jon
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I don't know what happened - must have been before my morning coffee - but my comment was directed at #7.
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Great Work, Realy like #5
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Nice set, I think I like #3 and #4 the best. I like the elements in #7 with the flowing water in the front and the falls on the right side in the background. I almost didn't notice the falls on the right because my eye got stuck on the bright clump of birch on the left just above the water. I wonder if darkening them slightly with a small decrease in saturation may help bring the viewers eye over to the beautiful falls in the background.
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Beautiful set and great framing. I also like #1 and #2- I think mainly beacause of the foreground interest,and how it draws my eye in.
    .....maybe it's because that's what I'm working on currently, and I get drawn to pictures that have that element.
    They are all great tho.
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hawkeye, I wondered the same. I did decrease the exposure by about a half stop on that portion, may decrease slightly more on a redo.

Thank all of ya'll for the feedback.
    edited May 4, 2010
    slight redo on #7, bringing the brightness down on the birches occupying the upper left of the frame.

856374612_pmuxK-XL.jpg
  • astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hmm. The 2nd, 3rd, and 5th I think are my favorite.

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II