Hwy 395, Eastern Sierra

LocLoc Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
I'm heading up there late Friday afternoon for a snowboarding trip with buddies of mine in Mammoth. I'll be able to catch sunrise and sunset on Saturday while they're driving up after work. I'm thinking of spending Friday night in Lone Pine and doing sunrise at the Alabama Hills. So now what can I do with the rest of Saturday afternoon and evening?

We plan on staying in Bishop Saturday and Sunday night. I get 3 sunrises and 1 or 2 sunsets so I want to pick the best spots. I'll definitely post pictures when I get back :D

Comments

• dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Bishop spots
    Don't forget moonlight on the snow covered Sierra, several hours after moonrise.

Bishop sunrise: The weather looks clear so shoot early light on Sierra snow. Take East Line Street east out of town until it turns to dirt. Go as far up the hill as you trasnportation allows. Shoot west to Mts Humphreys, Basin, Tom.

Bishop sunset: Clear air doesn't help make the sunset colorful to the west. If you are interested in the amount of snow on the White Mountains (not alot yet this year), go west up Bishop Creek Road to at least the Buttermilk Country Road turnoff and shoot east to the last light on the Whites.

I'm sitting in E-J's down in Big Pine stitching the panoramas I shot in Death Valley Friday and by moonlight of the Palisades east of Big Pine after the bar closed last night.

If you have time while in Bishop check out the Mountain Light gallery for Galen Rowel's work and Vern Clevenger's gallery he moved down to Bishop from Mammoth last summer.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    I don't know if the road's open but the view from the lookout just before
    Devil's Postpile just outside of Mammoth is spectacular.

Oh. Stop at Shottz for a pastry and coffee in the morning thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    dbd wrote:
    Don't forget moonlight on the snow covered Sierra, several hours after moonrise.

Bishop sunrise: The weather looks clear so shoot early light on Sierra snow. Take East Line Street east out of town until it turns to dirt. Go as far up the hill as you trasnportation allows. Shoot west to Mts Humphreys, Basin, Tom.

Bishop sunset: Clear air doesn't help make the sunset colorful to the west. If you are interested in the amount of snow on the White Mountains (not alot yet this year), go west up Bishop Creek Road to at least the Buttermilk Country Road turnoff and shoot east to the last light on the Whites.

I'm sitting in E-J's down in Big Pine stitching the panoramas I shot in Death Valley Friday and by moonlight of the Palisades east of Big Pine after the bar closed last night.

If you have time while in Bishop check out the Mountain Light gallery for Galen Rowel's work and Vern Clevenger's gallery he moved down to Bishop from Mammoth last summer.

Dale B. Dalrymple

Dale you have an uncommon name and I use to know someone by that name...did you ever live in the Torrance/South Bay area of So. Cal? Are you (or were you) ever married to a gorgeous red-head? :D
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    ian408

You have to ski from the Mammoth Mtn parking to the overlook, some uphill.

Eat at Schats in Bishop or Mammoth.

Saurora

No, San Diego, no, But I'll consider any reasonable offer.

Loc

Friday night after EJ's closed, from up on the hill, the Palisades and Big Pine by moonlight:

133498033-L.jpg

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies