Uploading photos to smugmug galleries

EarleEarle Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited March 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello!
I am not sure if this is the place to post this, so I hope my question does indeed get answered!

In my smugmug Galleries, I am having a huge problem.

Uploading photos takes a really long time. :cry

Now, I want to know if there is anything else I can do to make the uploading process faster. I am uploading the original images that are pretty large, so I understand that they do take a long time to upload, but I just wanted to know if this was "normal" or what.

I recently just switched to Photoshop editing, and so maybe my photos were smaller before (??) because it never used to take this long.

A bach of 60 photos takes 2-4 hours. Maybe even longer, but generally 2 min for every photo.

I am using Universal Drag and Drop, although I have used Internet Exployer Uploader and that took even longer. I have an XP comp so would your XP Uploader be faster or better? And what about if I uploaded the photos through Firefox, would that make a difference?

Thank you for any help!
Cheerio
-Melissa E Earle
www.meephotosblog.com
http://momentful.smugmug.com
I love photography

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Earle wrote:
    Hello!
    I am not sure if this is the place to post this, so I hope my question does indeed get answered!

In my smugmug Galleries, I am having a huge problem.

Uploading photos takes a really long time. :cry

Now, I want to know if there is anything else I can do to make the uploading process faster. I am uploading the original images that are pretty large, so I understand that they do take a long time to upload, but I just wanted to know if this was "normal" or what.

I recently just switched to Photoshop editing, and so maybe my photos were smaller before (??) because it never used to take this long.

A bach of 60 photos takes 2-4 hours. Maybe even longer, but generally 2 min for every photo.

I am using Universal Drag and Drop, although I have used Internet Exployer Uploader and that took even longer. I have an XP comp so would your XP Uploader be faster or better? And what about if I uploaded the photos through Firefox, would that make a difference?

Thank you for any help!
    Hi, are you saving at jpg12 or jpg10 in photoshop? 10 will help immensely. ear.gif
  • EarleEarle Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Crossing my Fingers
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, are you saving at jpg12 or jpg10 in photoshop? 10 will help immensely. ear.gif

Hello,
    I was crossing my fingers hoping this wouldn't be the reason! But yes, I am saving them at jpg12, jpg 10 will be the new way to go.

The only question I had was how much that would loose in "blow up" photos. Like for 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10s that would be fine, but for anything larger what would it do?

Alright I will try to save them at 2 jpgs LESS and see what kind of difference that makes and record it here.
    Cheerio
    -Melissa E Earle
    www.meephotosblog.com
    http://momentful.smugmug.com
    I love photography
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Earle wrote:
    Hello,
    I was crossing my fingers hoping this wouldn't be the reason! But yes, I am saving them at jpg12, jpg 10 will be the new way to go.

The only question I had was how much that would loose in "blow up" photos. Like for 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10s that would be fine, but for anything larger what would it do?

Alright I will try to save them at 2 jpgs LESS and see what kind of difference that makes and record it here.
    jpg10 is considered to be lab quality. thumb.gif