Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You mean like this?

I was thinking it might look more like Shaun of the Dead, only the zombies are after fruit, veggies and power for the vita-mix. :D
    edited March 24, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    But if you are one of the few willing to pay the price, your fitness can be extraordinary.

Same with health. There is no easy way, no pill, no magic exercise. You have to eat whole plants, get the vegetables down and stay away from the bacon.

But if you do, it's shocking how it transforms you.

I agree with that completely. I am still working on controlling my diet, but I have at least flip-flopped from mostly pizza, burgers, mexican, with few fruits and veggies, to salads, veggies, fruits and the occasional slice or two of pizza (vs half a pizza). I keep working to try and replace items that could be healthier. I am currently working on rice drink to replace skim milk, etc.

I am hoping with springtime I will see an increase in my workouts and reduction in bodyfat, with increased strength and endurance. The best part about my weight loss is I was able to do it over the winter, when it is usually the most difficult time to loose it.

I hope I can stick with it. I think getting out of shape really kick started my healthy ways. I could see how easily I was about to slip into a really big pit of horrible habits.
    edited March 24, 2008
    I found a Vita-Mix kit at Costco. It even comes with a travel bag for the VM. :D Now if I can only break down and buy it. deal.gif The price is a bit steep. eek7.gif I would get my Costco rebate and the ability to return it very easily.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    I found a Vita-Mix kit at Costco. It even comes with a travel bag for the VM. :D Now if I can only break down and buy it. deal.gif The price is a bit steep. eek7.gif I would get my Costco rebate and the ability to return it very easily.
    There are a few vita-mix linkys in this thread for various prices (various models), all less than the vita-mix on-line price at costco. The travel bag is nice, but you don't really need it; you just need the base and one blender jar.

If you want to purchase it at Costco for the reasons that you listed, the vita-mix and blendtec make their rounds regularly at the Costco road shows and both are around $379. Check out their magazines for specific dates and locations. For me, I just used my Costco AmEx rebate check that arrived in past February on my blendtec.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 25, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    I hope I can stick with it. I think getting out of shape really kick started my healthy ways. I could see how easily I was about to slip into a really big pit of horrible habits.
    When you see the numbers of people who lose 10 pounds or more in the U.S. each year compared to the numbers who keep it off, it's chilling.

And yet, if you notice how many people in this thread have lost it and have (so far) kept it off without reporting harrowing tales of deprivation to do it, it's my opinion that 3 things make it possible:

1. You can eat a big, satisfying dinner of vegetables, fruits, and legumes instead of looking at a small portion on your plate that's gone in a few minutes and leaves your stomach empty.

2. Your taste buds change. If you're off pork chops long enough they don't look tempting anymore.

3. Higher nutrient-density foods keep you from craving more after you eat 800 calories because your body isn't saying "more nutrients, please" like it does after eating 1200 calories of cheeseburger and Pepsi.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can buy refurbished, or you might think about getting a Vita-Prep, the commercial version. This site seems to have a good price on it, and it's a little more powerful than the home version. I think the warranty is shorter, though. headscratch.gif

This must be an older model the newer model (shown on vita mix's commerical area) is 3 peak hp......I have an inquiry out for the price on the newer model.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    This must be an older model the newer model (shown on vita mix's commerical area) is 3 peak hp......I have an inquiry out for the price on the newer model.

I think it's actually a typo, on the hp thing. But let us know what you find out!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 25, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    2. Your taste buds change. If you're off pork chops long enough they don't look tempting anymore.

I have noticed this. I can eat broccoli and spinach raw and enjoy it. I have started eating broccoli as I used to eat potato chips, you can't eat just one. :D

I think green smoothies would be an easy next step and I could make them for a lunch or snack ahead of time and put them in a thermos, reducing my need to find something to eat when I am out.
    edited March 25, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    There are a few vita-mix linkys in this thread for various prices (various models), all less than the vita-mix on-line price at costco. The travel bag is nice, but you don't really need it; you just need the base and one blender jar.

If you want to purchase it at Costco for the reasons that you listed, the vita-mix and blendtec make their rounds regularly at the Costco road shows and both are around $379. Check out their magazines for specific dates and locations. For me, I just used my Costco AmEx rebate check that arrived in past February on my blendtec.

I doubt I would go for the kit. The custom bag did seem a little humorous. I could see me dragging it to my friend's to make green smoothies an they would all think I had lost it.

I did check their expo listing and vita-mix is at the Health and Wellness expo here in Atlanta at the end of April. That might be my best time to find a deal. If only my economic stimulus check would arrive sooner, I finally found a good use for it. deal.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    I think green smoothies would be an easy next step and I could make them for a lunch or snack ahead of time and put them in a thermos, reducing my need to find something to eat when I am out.

Bingo. I find that I also like to make one before attending social events, to "pre-eat" in case there is nothing really available at said event. Eating veggies is great but when I crash, I crash hard and bacon starts to look good. So being hungry is a no-no. Drink it on the way, bone up on veggies and you have more time to socialize and not be overly concerned with being picky at the event.

Just make sure you wipe off the green moustache first. :D
    edited March 25, 2008
    This IS a photography forum, afterall.

10 Food Photography Tips. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    This IS a photography forum, afterall.

10 Food Photography Tips. thumb.gif

That Haggis challenge should be part of the next LPS :D
    Travis
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    That Haggis challenge should be part of the next LPS :D
    And the loser gets to eat it!rolleyes1.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    3. Higher nutrient-density foods keep you from craving more after you eat 800 calories because your body isn't saying "more nutrients, please" like it does after eating 1200 calories of cheeseburger and Pepsi.
    I hadn't thought about it this way before, but I like it. It's a simple, common sense way of thinking about it.

"One reason we eat too many calories is if we eat empty calories, our body keeps clamoring for nutrients so we feed it even more."

or the corollary:

"If you want to keep from eating too many calories, make sure every calorie you eat is full of nutrients so your body can get what it needs in the fewest calories."

I know this is true for fiber. Eat more fiber rich foods and you get full on a lot fewer calories. It makes common sense that it could be true for other nutrients too.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    And the loser gets to eat it!rolleyes1.gif
    In my pre-ETL days, I went to a Burns Night at Beth's squadron here in the UK. We had bona fide tatties and neaps... haggis. Honestly, it was really frickin good and if I get the chance to go to another Burns night, I'll eat it again since it was such a small portion anyhow.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    In my pre-ETL days, I went to a Burns Night at Beth's squadron here in the UK. We had bona fide tatties and neaps... haggis. Honestly, it was really frickin good and if I get the chance to go to another Burns night, I'll eat it again since it was such a small portion anyhow.

Not arguing the flavor, just the looks :D
    Travis
    edited March 25, 2008
    I'm arguing w/ the flavor. :D
    I've traveled to the UK a few times and never could get used to haggis. It's all on what your used to though. I had a friend that lived in Glasgow that thought that PB&J and Hot Dogs were the grossest food ever. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 25, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm arguing w/ the flavor. :D
    I've traveled to the UK a few times and never could get used to haggis. It's all on what your used to though. I had a friend that lived in Glasgow that thought that PB&J and Hot Dogs were the grossest food ever. ne_nau.gif
    lol3.gif I was in Thailand doing a military exercise and the Thais were introducing us to some local fare... In this case it was, no kidding, beetles. They loved them. So one of our guys introduced them to some (MRE) PB&J. They weren't that impressed lol3.gif

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 26, 2008
    There is one remaining problem with this diet that has me worried...

I have IronMan Arizona in 2.5 weeks and I haven't figured out the nutrition on long days yet. The traditional thing is to eat fiber-free and fat-free sugary engineered foods that hit the bloodstream fast so you can consume 500 calories an hour. Everyone gets goofy during the last 13 miles of an IronMan because your blood sugar gets so low you have trouble counting the remaining miles, you drop things, stumble, etc.

I train on orange, grape and carrot juice, hummus and whole wheat, dried fruit, and some home-made granola bars, but I can tell that I can't digest them as fast as the engineered foods I used to race on. The court of last resort for most IronMan runners is Coke because it's corn syrup and nothing digests faster.

Running the marathon piece in 95-degree heat when I'm toasted from the long bike isn't gonna make me feel like chugging a tall warm orange juice with its slow-digesting fructose and fiber... I dunno how I'd react to Coke now, but probably not well.

The moral of the story is it probably that it isn't smart to be going so long and to get so toasted in the first place...
    edited March 27, 2008
    I don't know what you would want to eat on that long of a day, but here is a thread at fq if you missed it.
    edited March 27, 2008
    Lunch today. I have the same problem as Baldy. I ate this about 90 minutes ago and I am hungry again. Time to dip into the container of nuts. :D

271157981_BB2ZC-L.jpg
    edited March 27, 2008
    What vegetables are best eaten uncooked vs cooked? How do you cook them? I keep reading different things from different sources, cook spinach steamed for about a minute is best, but is it? What about other veggies? I have been enjoying eating them uncooked, it takes less prep time, which means I eat them vs looking for a quick fix. The only cooking I have been doing is a quick steaming for a few items or to change things up a little. The good news is I am liking veggies for what they are, not what they are covered in.
    edited March 27, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    What vegetables are best eaten uncooked vs cooked? How do you cook them? I keep reading different things from different sources, cook spinach steamed for about a minute is best, but is it? What about other veggies? I have been enjoying eating them uncooked, it takes less prep time, which means I eat them vs looking for a quick fix. The only cooking I have been doing is a quick steaming for a few items or to change things up a little. The good news is I am liking veggies for what they are, not what they are covered in.
    Mostly, raw is better all around nutrition-wise. But it's difficult to go fully raw since the sheer bulk of leafy greens and the bitterness and toughness of things like kale would be difficult for a person to overcome. Not to mention that many starchy veggies would be nearly impossible to eat... mmm raw potatoes.

I think that's why Doc Fuhrman suggests 1lb of raw veggies and 1lb of cooked veggies daily. Mix it up, get a wide variety, and all will be right with your nutrition.

edited March 27, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Mostly, raw is better all around nutrition-wise.

Not exactly true. More nutrients, yes. But cooked veggies have something like 10x more available nutrients. You extract them more efficiently. At least that's what I've heard Fuhrman say.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Not exactly true. More nutrients, yes. But cooked veggies have something like 10x more available nutrients. You extract them more efficiently. At least that's what I've heard Fuhrman say.

Here's a blog entry about it.

And another one.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Mmmmmmm, this months 'Cooking Light' has several brilliant looking recipes, and in particular I cannot wait to try these Vegetable Burgers

ann
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Lunch today. I have the same problem as Baldy. I ate this about 90 minutes ago and I am hungry again. Time to dip into the container of nuts. :D

271157981_BB2ZC-L.jpg

Yum, yum! :eat

Dr. Fuhrman is a big fan of veggies in soups. You don't lose too many nutrients from cooking this way and you can eat lots more of the veggies. I'm surprised how many huge handfuls of spinach or kale I can toss into my soups and they cook down until they hardly take up much room at all.

I love making tofu scrambles and tossing in bunches of spinach there as well.

I usually go raw for munching cooked for meals. Except for breakfast, when a green drink is the only way I'm getting veggies in. :D

-Anne
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

Raw is best...but when the need arises either steam or do a water stir fry adding your fav herbs...however the trick is to cook them only enuff to heat them so they retain all of their nutritional value.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 30, 2008
    Using a rice cooker is a good way to "flash" veggies so they are fully cooked but retain most of their nutritional value.

Not to mention you don't have to waste money on a steamer or mess up allot of dishes w/ a steam basket.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Mmmmmmm, these Vegetable Burgers

ann

Ya gotta try them!!!! They are really really good. I gave the recipe to the dh, so not sure how closely he followed. We cooked them on foil on the bbq. Served in multigrain buns. Garnished with spinach, onion and red pepper