A Rust Car Named Desire

1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited January 24, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
A long time since I posted, I know, and what better way to dive back in after a busy time away than with a very rusty series of captures. Three images, one NOT in color, but done in a way that you hopefully can feel the rust, ha.

The first of three here is a detail shot, with my 50mm prime, of the front end of this abandoned rail car:

OldCaboose_2542_CaptureOne-2c%201-XL.jpg

The next is one take further out, but with my 11-16 mm, corrected for perspective. Note the color/white balance difference. This is because the camera's system compensated differently for the color temp based on the surrounding scene in this shot, and I did not bother to correct for it in post-processing, because I liked the difference:

OldCaboose_2538_CaptureOne-2c%201-Edit-XL.jpg

Last, but hopefully not least, a monochrome ¾-shot, where I attempted to grade the tones to the point where you can practically feel the rust, and the venerability of this old car...

OldCaboose_2540_CaptureOne-2c%201-Edit-XL.jpg

May the rust be with you. I hope you like them, but of course critiques are always welcome. I never know what I haven't thought of.
–Mark

"Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls..." ~Rumi

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2015
    All nice, but #3 make me want to stand up and clap.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2015
    Nice work, Mark. We can't have too many RUST JUNKIES....the more the merrier. The last one is my favorite. I see so many options to get some terrific abstracts with this subject. Share more rust shots when you can.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • 1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    All nice, but #3 make me want to stand up and clap.gif

Thanks, man. I almost overlooked that last shot, because this was one of those shoots on which I was NOT thinking monochrome—I was seduced by the color (sometimes I see a shot in monochrome at the time I make the capture). Now that last shot is my fav, too. And I didn't even consider processing it until three days after the other two. Thanks for the look.
    –Mark

Nice work, Mark. We can't have too many RUST JUNKIES....the more the merrier. The last one is my favorite. I see so many options to get some terrific abstracts with this subject. Share more rust shots when you can.

Tom

Thanks, Tom... and you are right... there's opportunity for some abstracts there for sure... and another shoot in, say, late-afternoon light (this was around mid-day, overcast). I will revisit. Thanks for the feedback!
    –Mark

The monochrome is exceptional and yes, you can feel the rust in that one. Nice series.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    Welcome to Rust Junkiedom! thumb.gif

Excellent stuff. Would love to see some extreme abstracts of this car! deal.gif

I like them all and a a train buff I really like the last one! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    I like the grayscale image best ... just waiting for some grayscale people to appear on the platform!
  • 1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    I like the grayscale image best ... just waiting for some grayscale people to appear on the platform!

Ha, the funny thing is, with PhotoShop and a little patience, I could arrange that, lol. Thanks for weighing in!
    –Mark

DonRicklin wrote: »
    Welcome to Rust Junkiedom! thumb.gif

Excellent stuff. Would love to see some extreme abstracts of this car! deal.gif

I like them all and a a train buff I really like the last one! :D

Don

Thanks, Don... on a plane to LA right now, but I absolutely plan on revisiting that site in the next week or two and shooting some abstracts. Thanks for the review and comment!
    –Mark

Cavalier wrote: »
    The monochrome is exceptional and yes, you can feel the rust in that one. Nice series.

Thanks for the affirmation on "feeling the rust." :-)

BTW, I have a cav/pom mix that looks just like one of the cavs in your avatar. People die over him. :-) Great dog, and nice compliment to our Aussie.

All the best...
    –Mark

Yea! Rusty old railcars are always a welcome subject here. That doorway in #1 is especially good for this. We've got a large railway museum sorta by me that if one wanders out to the back yards, there is nothing but hundreds of cars like these.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2015
    All very nice shots... I like the mono as well, but #1 grabs me! Great work!
    Lee Wiren
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2015
    BTW, I have a cav/pom mix that looks just like one of the cavs in your avatar. People die over him. :-) Great dog, and nice compliment to our Aussie.

Yeah, Cavs rule! The only complaint I have about all 4 of the cavs we have had - shedding fur in the amount of a new dog daily! And, Aussie's are wonderfully energetic dogs - I can see where your cav mix is a compliment! How about posting some pics of both?
    Regards, Jo