GRA-SMCHS-Canyon%20Relays-91.jpg

_MG_0546-153.jpg

GRA-SMCHS-Canyon%20Relays-102.jpg
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2014
    Fantastic work Gary! Your ability to get close and capture expressions.........bowdown.gifclap
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Fantastic work Gary! Your ability to get close and capture expressions.........bowdown.gifclap

Thanks Stumblebum. I never swam competitively. When I looked at what the kids had to do I was amazed ... you have to move fast while not breathing half the time, when you can breathe that breath is half filled with water and the entire time you're pushing against a pool full of water.

GRA-SMCHS-Canyon%20Relays-52.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2014
    Good to see a different sport.

These are excellent shots.

What was lighting like? I assume it was indoors.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited November 18, 2014
    Good to see a different sport.

These are excellent shots.

What was lighting like? I assume it was indoors.

Phil

Thank you Phil. No, this is California, 90% of the pools are outdoors. The pool was partially shaded by the bleachers and bleacher coverings.

_MG_0448-138.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited November 18, 2014
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Thank you Phil. No, this is California, 90% of the pools are outdoors. The pool was partially shaded by the bleachers and bleacher coverings.

_MG_0448-138.jpg

Yep, I thought about that after I posted my comment.

Good to see Maze and Blue (UofM) colors though in the image. :ivar

Tonight our camera club has a presentation of sports photography. FACT - Face, Action, Contact and Toy (ball, stick). I wonder if water is considered the Toy for swimming?

Phil
    Phil
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2014
    While in general, I think these kids of guidelines are helpful, many of the most iconic sports images in history have laced several of these elements. To me, more than anything, a great sports image is about moment and context. Whether it's Y.A. Tittle in the endzone, Jesse Owens at the Olympics, Ali vs Liston, etc. The context is crucial, as is the moment. Michael Jordan kissing the trophy in the locker room with champagne flowing, or him collapsed in a heap as the emotions of his father consumed him. Two powerful moments. Three black athletes with fists raised in the air. Context was crucial. Greg Lougainis slumped in the water after hitting his head on a diving board.... context.

What I am afraid of is that by encouraging people to mostly shoot "to the formula" we will discourage them from making iconic images that should be pursued.
    Tonight our camera club has a presentation of sports photography. FACT - Face, Action, Contact and Toy (ball, stick). I wonder if water is considered the Toy for swimming?

Phil
    edited November 19, 2014
    While in general, I think these kids of guidelines are helpful, many of the most iconic sports images in history have laced several of these elements. To me, more than anything, a great sports image is about moment and context. Whether it's Y.A. Tittle in the endzone, Jesse Owens at the Olympics, Ali vs Liston, etc. The context is crucial, as is the moment. Michael Jordan kissing the trophy in the locker room with champagne flowing, or him collapsed in a heap as the emotions of his father consumed him. Two powerful moments. Three black athletes with fists raised in the air. Context was crucial. Greg Lougainis slumped in the water after hitting his head on a diving board.... context.

What I am afraid of is that by encouraging people to mostly shoot "to the formula" we will discourage them from making iconic images that should be pursued.

Excellent points and examples. Moments and Context - will keep that in mind.

Thanks, Phil
    Phil
    edited November 19, 2014
    Yep, I thought about that after I posted my comment.

Good to see Maze and Blue (UofM) colors though in the image. :ivar

Phil

Laughing.gif on the Maze and Blue ... I'm more of a Cardinal and Gold fan myself. How was that that sports presentation?

_MG_0313-115.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited November 19, 2014
    Well done Gary! You have turned a simple swimming meet into an art convention!!rolleyes1.gif
    Bravo!
    edited November 19, 2014
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Laughing.gif on the Maze and Blue ... I'm more of a Cardinal and Gold fan myself. How was that that sports presentation?

The presentations - two photogs - covering many sports. The first part covered the important sport moments for a number of sports - key word MOMENT. And a number of shots discussed emotions and why some shots were memorable to the photographer - CONTEXT.

So your comment was totally right on. I do think that keeping in mind those two important facets and the FACT guidelines can help somebody just starting out.

Phil
    Phil
    edited November 19, 2014
    One technique question - Have you tried using a slower speed and panning to show the swimmer in focus but the background as a blur?

I asked the same question of one of the photogs last night - had not tried it.

Phil
    Phil
    edited November 19, 2014
    I think panning with swimming will require a ton of luck because of the huge volume of water that is constantly in play over the swimmers body. You'd have better luck with the long distance (but slower traveling) swimmers as the long distance swimmer expends less energy per stroke than a sprinter.

_MG_0410-132.jpg
    sprint

_MG_0383-128.jpg
    long distance

I often use slow shutter to show speed.

_GE21683.jpg

GRAB0711.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

Motocross-UE.jpg

_MG_8966.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited November 19, 2014
    Well done Gary! You have turned a simple swimming meet into an art convention!!rolleyes1.gif
    Bravo!

Thank You.

_MG_0466-140.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited November 20, 2014
    Would you mind sharing the exif data for horse and motorcycle shots, which are fine shots I might add!thumb.gif
    edited November 20, 2014
    Would you mind sharing the exif data for horse and motorcycle shots, which are fine shots I might add!thumb.gif

The cycle is Nikon F, 135mm, Tri-X, maybe 1/30 ... 1/15. For the cycle I purposely went to the turn and positioned myself in the center of the radius figuring that subject would be the same distance to the camera throughout the pan. I'll take any help I can get.

The horse is:
    Camera Canon EOS 5D
    ISO 160
    Focal Length 180mm (180mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/16.0
    Exposure Time 0.0166s (1/60)

IMG_0038.jpg
    1/45

IMG_7988.jpg
    1/40

IMG_7055.jpg
    1/15

These were at Santa Anita. They have work-outs in the morning which are free to attend. So check out your local track.

GRA-San6ta%20Anita%201%20-%2013.jpg
    My fav from that day.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited November 20, 2014
    Thanks m8! Very nice! We have a race track in Berkeley that I know of, perhaps someday!