Can't update this collection.

DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited November 1, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I'm having a problem with the Lightroom plugin again. I just tried to update a published collection, and got a popup dialog box that said, "Can'd update this collection. A connection with the server could not be established."

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 (with current updates), Lightroom 5.6, and the updated plugin that Dave Parry provided to fix an earlier problem, version 2.1.6.8.

I'm not sure what the issue may be.

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 15, 2014
    David,

Are you still having this issue ?

Trying to determine if this is ops/network related, which the error message suggests.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 15, 2014
    If you could provide the debug log that would be useful as well..thanks
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    David,

Sorry for taking so long - I just got back home. Yes, I'm still having the same issue. I saved the Diagnostic Message from the Plug-in Manager:
    Plug-in error log for plug-in at: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Lightroom\Plugins\SmugMug.lrplugin
    **** Error 1
    This plug-in’s post-processing task did not finish successfully.
    A connection with the server could not be established

I then enabled verbose logging, tried to publish, and looked at the verbose log file. I have to say it doesn't look terribly verbose to me. ;-)
    10/15/2014 22:33:56 DEBUG Logging enabled

I was also slightly suspicious of my anti-malware software (Comodo), so I turned it off, and tried again. I saw the same results.

Thanks for looking at this!

David
    edited October 15, 2014
    Hey David,

You need to restart LR after enabling Logging. If you could retry that would be awesome.

Are you still on 2.1.6.8 ? We had a handful of users (about 4-5) reporting a similar issue on 2.1.7.0, given that you are using a different version and getting the same result, is leading me to thinking that it's related networking (cloudflare) or firewall.

Can you please also retry with the firewall disabled again.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 16, 2014
    Oh - I didn't realize I needed to restart LR. I restarted it, and tried to synchronize some Event Favorites from SmugMug down to LR, and had a similar experience. I'm attaching the log file from that. I'll also try 2.1.7.0 - didn't realize that was out, and yes, I was still using 2.1.6.8.
    edited October 16, 2014
    I tried to publish modified pictures again, and had the same result. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find that it's network-related - after all, not being able to establish a connection to the server certainly sounds like that - but I don't know what I can to to diagnose it. Meanwhile, status.smugmug.com reports that all is fine. Here's another log file.
    edited October 16, 2014
    David,

I'm trying to find any similarities between the effected users, what firewall/anti-virus software are you using ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 16, 2014
    I'm using Comodo Internet Security on my Windows box. My local network is slightly more complex than is typical. My workstation is behind a proxy running Squid and DansGuardian - I've had teenagers in the house for quite some time. I tried bypassing DansGuardian (content and URL filtering software), but it didn't change any of the symptoms. Also, this was working fine until yesterday morning. Apparently, something changed somewhere.

Here's some more information that is probably not relevant, but if you're looking for correlations, it may not be clear what's important.

I have just over 160,000 images in my catalog, mostly from a Canon EOS 5D or a 5D-III. I have quite a few from an EOS Rebel, and others from several other cameras. Almost all are raw. All that I've been working with syncing recently are raw. The images span about 3 spinning disks and an SSD, and the catalog is on a second SSD. I'm in Maryland, and my ISP is Verizon FIOS.
    edited October 16, 2014
    I temporarily bypassed all my security - turned off Comodo Firewall and Antivirus, and bypassed the web proxy - and had the same results. Log file attached.
    edited October 16, 2014
    Thanks
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 16, 2014
    David,

I'm interested to find out if any info is being sent back in the response headers when the connection is reset. Can you please give this version a go with logging enabled and post the results.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 16, 2014
    Sure - same popup, and I'm attaching the log file. I was curious, so I typed in the first URL from the log file:
    and I got the following response:
    {"Response":{"Uri":"/api/v2/user/DavidRitch?_quiet=&_filteruri=Features,Folder&_noredirect=&_filter=&_shorturis=","UriDescription":"User By Nickname","EndpointType":"User","ResponseLevel":"Full","DocUri":"/api/v2/doc/reference/user.html","Locator":"User","LocatorType":"Object","User":{"Uris":{"Folder":"/api/v2/folder/user/DavidRitch?_filter=&_filteruri=FolderAlbums","Features":"/api/v2/user/DavidRitch!features"}}},"Expansions":{"/api/v2/folder/user/DavidRitch?_filter=&_filteruri=FolderAlbums":{"Uri":"/api/v2/folder/user/DavidRitch?_filter=&_filteruri=FolderAlbums","UriDescription":"A folder or legacy (sub)category by UrlPath","EndpointType":"Folder","ResponseLevel":"Full","Locator":"Folder","LocatorType":"Object","Folder":{"Uris":{"FolderAlbums":{"Uri":"/api/v2/folder/user/DavidRitch!albums","UriDescription":"Albums inside of the folder","EndpointType":"FolderAlbums","Locator":"Album","LocatorType":"Objects"}}}},"/api/v2/user/DavidRitch!features":{"Uri":"/api/v2/user/DavidRitch!features","UriDescription":"User's account features information","EndpointType":"Features","Locator":"Features","LocatorType":"Object","Features":{"Uri":"/api/v2/user/DavidRitch!features","UriDescription":"User's account features information","Backprinting":true,"CustomPackaging":true,"Printmarks":true,"RightClickProtection":true,"Sales":true,"Video":true,"Watermarks":true,"Sharpening":true}}},"Code":200,"Message":"Ok"}

I tried to use that URL again, and the response was "oauth_problem=nonce_used". This leads me to suspect that the nonce was not used when the plugin *should* have sent the URL. I'm wondering if there is an internal communication issue between the SmugMug servers. Or maybe between CloudFlare and SmugMug.
    edited October 17, 2014
    Hey Dave,

I've been chatting with the ops guys, and on Tuesday between 3-4pm, SSLv3 was disabled. The time of this change and LR stopping working for you seems too much of a coincidence.

Is there anything you can check on your end with respect to this ?

Like this.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 17, 2014
    You're awesome, David - that was it!

I hadn't noticed that setting, partly because I never use IE, and I didn't realize that you were using the system libraries. In addition, I'm pretty sure I didn't turn off TLS support, and I can't imagine why disabling it would be the default. (Maybe I did because some other incompatibility that I don't recall.) Turning off SSLv3 makes sense - a pretty serious vulnerability was just announced.

Thank you for your time and effort - and success - with this!

David
    edited October 17, 2014
    Thank goodness...I'm relieved.

Thanks for your help and understanding :)

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • cfusercfuser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2014
    I've disabled SSL 3.0 (LR 3.6 and Windows XP (sorry)), but I'm seeing the same issue. Any ideas?
    edited October 20, 2014
    cfuser wrote: »
    I've disabled SSL 3.0 (LR 3.6 and Windows XP (sorry)), but I'm seeing the same issue. Any ideas?

Please make sure your SSL and TLS settings are like this, and see if that works for you.

Protecting-Browsers-against-POODLE.png-(2818-1558).png
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • cfusercfuser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2014
    [SOLVED] Can't update this collection.
    Yep, that was the ticket (the TLS). Everything seems to work great again. Thanks (sorry for the late reply).