Galleries Won't Sort Manually

AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
edited October 16, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I am not sure of this is a bug, but in galleries, I have sorted their appearance manually, but they remain as alphabetised.

Comments

• phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    I just sorted some galleries manually in organizer and they appear to stay sorted manually in the gallery view.
    Can you provide some more details where you get that?
  • AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    The organiser show that they are manually sorted, and the gallery show that they are not.
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    Maybe you should contact the help desk (help@smugmug.com). I have nearly all folders with galleries sorted manually, and everything works fine. I also just created an empty page, added a galleries content block with galleries from a single folder. First the galleries were sorted, i manually moved some galleries in organizer around and the gallery view shows the updated/manually sorted list of galleries.
    I once had a problem with not updating / stalled gallery icons which seemed to be a local problem with my site only, the help desk fixed it within hours. Maybe you have a similar issue.
    edited August 25, 2014
    I will contact them. Thanks.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 25, 2014
    What is the setting for "sort by" set to in the Gallery and Folder settings?

Go to a page that contains a galleries and folders block.
    • Customize...
    • Customize site...
    • Hover over the folders box
    • Click the wrench
    • Check the sort by setting in the display tab
    • Done
    • Hover over the galleries box
    • Click the wrench
    • Check the sort by setting in the display tab
    • Done
    In addition to these settings, I also have the organizer set to sort manually.

--- Denise
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 25, 2014
    Clive, I just replied to the email you sent to the help desk. Denise is right, you need to change the sort order in the galleries content block to Organizer Position. :)

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited August 25, 2014
    Thanks Denise as always and thanks so much Ana.

This was the issue and is sorted now. I didn't realise that the customise site settings would overwrite the organiser settings.

All sorted! Thanks so much.
  • ralral Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2014
    I cannot see the sort by setting in the Folders or Galleries options. What I am missing?
  • BeaBea Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2014
    Hello there,

If you go to Customize > Customize site and open the Folders or Galleries content block > Display section, you'll see the option. I took a screenshot for you: http://take.ms/b0MZ3 . You will not see that option in the Folders, Galleries & Pages content block, though http://take.ms/UHyrt :)

Please find more information about using content blocks on the following help page: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210628-customization-what-are-content-blocks-how-are-they-used-

I hope this helps!
    Bea
    SmugMug Support Hero | My website: www.beabird.net
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2014
    Looking at a couple galleries styles, to allow the sort to be set in organizer set the "sort by" to "Position".
    For folders set the "sort by" to "Organizer Position".

In organizer you can do an initial sort by setting sort in the upper right. i.e. date up or down
    Once sorted set the upper right to manual and you can tweak this sort. This keeps everything
    in the initial order sort except for any manual tweaks.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2014
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Clive, I just replied to the email you sent to the help desk. Denise is right, you need to change the sort order in the galleries content block to Organizer Position. :)

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

I have the block set to Organizer position and it still doesn't work.
    edited October 13, 2014
    Erick L wrote: »
    In Organizer sort in some other order and then sort in the order you want. Seems sometimes you got a
    kick it. See if that works.
    edited October 13, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    In Organizer sort in some other order and then sort in the order you want. Seems sometimes you got a

I've tried that about a dozen times and it still doesn't work. The galleries get sorted but there's a folder that always gets pushed to the end. I have another folder with the same settings and it works fine.
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 13, 2014

Erick, can you give us a link to the folder you are referring to? I'll have a look.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    edited October 13, 2014
    I've tried that about a dozen times and it still doesn't work. The galleries get sorted but there's a folder that always gets pushed to the end. I have another folder with the same settings and it works fine.
    What type of content block do you have on the folder page?
    Are they the same for each of these folder pages?
    edited October 13, 2014
    Here: http://www.borealphoto.com/Marche

"Berg Lake" folder should be in first position.
    edited October 13, 2014
    Here: http://www.borealphoto.com/Marche

"Berg Lake" folder should be in first position.

Erick, you are using a Folders, galleries and pages content block here. The sort order from the organizer will be obeyed once you first add the content block, but once you start creating new folders, galleries, or pages, they will simply be added at the end of that block. It seems you created the Berg Lake folder after you'd already added that content block to your site.
    The workaround is using separate blocks: a folders content block and a galleries content block.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    edited October 13, 2014
    Is there anyway to find the type of content block in the html? Does the type of content block have a specific class name?
    edited October 13, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Erick, you are using a Folders, galleries and pages content block here. The sort order from the organizer will be obeyed once you first add the content block, but once you start creating new folders, galleries, or pages, they will simply be added at the end of that block. It seems you created the Berg Lake folder after you'd already added that content block to your site.
    The workaround is using separate blocks: a folders content block and a galleries content block.

Why doesn't SM fix this so it works properly instead of having to guess every time? I'm sorry but this new SM was supposed to be simple but it's even even more cryptic than the old one.
  • bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2014
    IDs are pretty much dynamic, so it's not usually possible to call a specific content block section.
    edited October 13, 2014
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    IDs are pretty much dynamic, so it's not usually possible to call a specific content block section.

I don't know what that means. I know there's a sorting option that doesn't work and that one great thing with the new SM was to mix folders and galleries together.

If you don't want to make it work, just remove the sorting option. I spent hours trying to figure this out just to be told "it's a bug and we won't do anything about it".
    edited October 13, 2014
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    This is his "widget" with the specific widget class name that is not dynamic.

class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-nodes sm-page-widget-5710869"

Why can't a specific class name also be added here for widget type?
    Something like this for block type.
    .sm-page-widget-folders-galleries-pages
    .sm-page-widget-page
    .sm-page-widget-folders
    .sm-page-widget-galleries

class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-nodes sm-page-widget-folders-galleries-pages sm-page-widget-5710869"
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    This has been reported here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239417
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations